3GHz P4 not working with current mobos?

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Apparently, Intel is making this difficult for P4 users everywhere. It wasn't enough to have a Socket 432, but you then needed a Socket 478 to keep upgrading. Then, you needed a chipset that supported 133MHz FSB in order to keep upgrading. Now, you need a mobo with the correct pulse width modulator to keep upgrading past 3GHz? Oy.

DigiTimes: <A HREF="http://digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/08/19&pages=14&seq=84" target="_new">http://digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/08/19&pages=14&seq=84</A>

Now, this is either a case of not knowing about problems before they happen, which is a likely case, or Intel not telling the mobo makers what was needed until the product release is almost imminent. Too bad really. And before anyone blasts me for flaming Intel, this is a lot like the problems AMD had when they moved to the 133MHz FSB/DDR memory with the T-bird C and then to the AXP in October 2000. Many older motherboards, even ones that were only a few months old, were incompatible, and forced consumers to get a new 'board if they wanted to keep upgrading. At least this time for Intel, just like the FSB change, you will be able to keep using your old CPU in the new board until you have the money for the proc.

-SammyBoy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It appears to be an issue with how much power can be applied to the socket, that being the case, you wouldn't expect overclocking boards to have the problem, would you?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
That's what confused me... and it seems that some mobo makers see it that way to, according to DigiTimes. Some are going to stick to the 3-phase modulator instead of the Intel recommended 4. Perhaps when people do volt modding to get the P4s way up there, they are circumventing the possible problem... who knows. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

-SammyBoy

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
My TH7II runs my RAM at PC1066 well, and it overclocks reasonably well. Do you think it will run a 3GHz P4?

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Probably so. It's probably just that while the 3GHz part will work on most current motherboards, the extra power draw will actually reduce the motherboard's lifespan a bit. That's OK for the overclocking community (we generally know and accept it), it's just not "officially" acceptable on servers and consumer desktops.

If your average uneducated consumer got an inkling that some little kludge may subtract a few months from his motherboard's estimated six-year lifespan, he would probably throw a major hissy-fit. Sure it's minor, but no consumer wants to feel like he got cheated out of something he paid for, even a small piece that he probably wouldn't ever use anyways.

This came up on [H] forums a while back; I posted about the same response there.

<A HREF="http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/" target="_new">Skarpsey</A>

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Check to see if your system chipset supports it. Even if the 3GHtz P4s use the Socket 478 platform, it is certainly possible that the current generations of chipset won't support it. If I were you, check first.

Knowledge is the key to understanding

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They didn't announce a new core for it did they? Just a power issue with CPU's drawing more wattage? I wouldn't worry about it at all.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>