Starship Troopers, revisted

Hi All,

Not trying to continue the conversation about the book.

I found out tonight that not only was there a TV series for _Starship
Troopers_ (which I did know about), but there was a *sequel*.

Where'd I put that eyefork again?

Keith

KAOS

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:35:56 GMT, Keith Davies
<keith.davies@kjdavies.org> dared speak in front of ME:

>Hi All,
>
>Not trying to continue the conversation about the book.
>
>I found out tonight that not only was there a TV series for _Starship
>Troopers_ (which I did know about), but there was a *sequel*.
>
>Where'd I put that eyefork again?

It's in the olive jar.

Oh, those aren't... olives.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

In article <slrnddhhnc.ikb.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Not trying to continue the conversation about the book.
>
>I found out tonight that not only was there a TV series for _Starship
>Troopers_ (which I did know about), but there was a *sequel*.

I saw about 10 minutes of the animated series. At least they had the suits.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:35:56 GMT, Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org>
> scribed into the ether:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Not trying to continue the conversation about the book.
> >
> >I found out tonight that not only was there a TV series for _Starship
> >Troopers_ (which I did know about), but there was a *sequel*.
> >
> >Where'd I put that eyefork again?
>
> The movie sequel has been showing up on various incarnations of the
> Starz/Encore movie channels. I thought the first movie was really not all
> *that* bad (but of course, I've never read the book), so I tuned in for the
> second one just to see...and wow, it was awful.

The first Starship Troopers movie could not decide what it
wanted to be... A movie about the lunacy of militant
societies, or a movie glorifying the most violent aspects
of human nature.

Note the scenes showing the "public service annoucements"
that are very propaganda like, the insane way the troops
are just kinda used up, the incredibly fatalistic way the
soldiers act...

It just kinda switches back and forth throughout the movie...

In article <1121574838.855052.60900@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote:

> The first Starship Troopers movie could not decide what it
> wanted to be... A movie about the lunacy of militant
> societies, or a movie glorifying the most violent aspects
> of human nature.
>
> Note the scenes showing the "public service annoucements"
> that are very propaganda like, the insane way the troops
> are just kinda used up, the incredibly fatalistic way the
> soldiers act...
>
> It just kinda switches back and forth throughout the movie...

I think it's meant to be a propaganda film from its own future setting.
It's about the only interpretation that makes sense.

--
Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.

Matt Frisch wrote:

> The movie sequel has been showing up on various incarnations of the
> Starz/Encore movie channels. I thought the first movie was really not all
> *that* bad (but of course, I've never read the book), so I tuned in for the
> second one just to see...and wow, it was awful.

Well, I liked the second movie much better than the first movie,
and the first movie was in harmony with the book and all. I liked
some forms of that Sci-Fi, notably "The Forever War" by Joe
Haldeman?, short stories of which which were originally published
in the Analog pulp sci-fi magazine, and "Footfall" by Larry Niven,
but never grooved the "all out war against the evil alien invader"
stories that made up such a large part of Sci-Fi for a long time.

I did like the Starship Troopers boardgame published in 1976-77?
by Avalon Hill in that there was an element where if you played
the "Bugs" you could tunnel around underneath the main playing
board and pop up in different locations to attack various mobile
infantry units. The game featured the skinnies too, but I don't
remember seeing them in the movies. It brought a whole new
appreciation for the problems the mobile infantry faced even
though they had (usually) superior firepower.

Re,
Dirk

Dirk Collins <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote in news:TguCe.12690
$aY6.11000@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Well, I liked the second movie much better than the first movie,
> and the first movie was in harmony with the book and all.

Sorry Dirk, but no, the first film was no in harmony with the
book at all.

--
Marc
"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as

Marc L. wrote:
> Dirk Collins <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote in news:TguCe.12690
> $aY6.11000@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>

>>Well, I liked the second movie much better than the first movie,
>>and the first movie was in harmony with the book and all.
>

> Sorry Dirk, but no, the first film was no in harmony with the
> book at all.

But it does have boob shots, and quite a few explosions. YEEE-HAH!

- Ron ^*^

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:23:22 GMT, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote:
>In article <1121574838.855052.60900@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> The first Starship Troopers movie could not decide what it
>> wanted to be... A movie about the lunacy of militant
>> societies, or a movie glorifying the most violent aspects
>> of human nature.
>>
>> Note the scenes showing the "public service annoucements"
>> that are very propaganda like, the insane way the troops
>> are just kinda used up, the incredibly fatalistic way the
>> soldiers act...
>>
>> It just kinda switches back and forth throughout the movie...
>
>I think it's meant to be a propaganda film from its own future setting.
>It's about the only interpretation that makes sense.

Problem is, that interpretation makes no sense because in that future
setting, they didn't use propaganda films.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:52:35 GMT, Dirk Collins
<dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote:

>... and the first movie was in harmony with the book and all.

By this statement you inform us that you've never read the book.

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in news:ieyCe.78604$Fv.76481
@lakeread01:

> But it does have boob shots, and quite a few explosions. YEEE-HAH!

Too true.

--

In article <42dad59b.1886506953@shawnews>,
gobble@degook.com (Ken Andrews) wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:23:22 GMT, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote:

> >I think it's meant to be a propaganda film from its own future setting.
> >It's about the only interpretation that makes sense.
>
> Problem is, that interpretation makes no sense because in that future
> setting, they didn't use propaganda films.

Why is that a problem? Lots of movies fail to show the characters in
the movie going to see a movie. That is not very good evidence that
movies do not exist in movies.

--
Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.

Justisaur wrote:

> Although I only saw the first of the computer-animated series, I
> thought it blew away both of the live action movies, and was way
> better than most sci-fi movies of recent vintage.

It improves as it progresses, too, both technically and plot-wise - I have
the series on DVD. It actually manages to strike an odd balance between the
film and the novel in tone, while telling its own story.

--
Mark.

gobble@degook.com (Ken Andrews) writes:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:23:22 GMT, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote:

>>I think it's meant to be a propaganda film from its own future setting.
>>It's about the only interpretation that makes sense.

>Problem is, that interpretation makes no sense because in that future
>setting, they didn't use propaganda films.

That's what they'd like you to think.

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology