Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell Dimension 2400 Internet Explorer Problem

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
November 14, 2004 5:05:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I inherited a Dell Dimension 2400 from my deceased step father. Pentium 4, 2.2
GHz, XP Home, 256 RAM, Microsoft I.E. Build 6.0.2800.1106. It runs fine except
for one problem. Internet Explorer will not open or run. When I try to open
it I receive a message ... "there is a problem with Internet Explorer ... would
you like to report the problem?" What kind of stupid message is that? Nothing
happens or changes regardless of what I select. I.E. will not open or run.

I tried to delete I.E. 6, but there is no listing for it in the add/remove
programs. I tried to reinstall it by using a genuine Microsoft I.E. 6 Service
Pack 1 CD, but I receive a message that there is a newer version of I.E. on my
computer and it will not let me install the CD I have.

I finally installed AOL 9.0 and it runs fine because it is using the "built-in
I.E." that AOL has ... but there is no change in the original I.E. problem on
the Dell 2400. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix the I.E.
6?


Thanks,
John
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 3:24:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> I finally installed AOL 9.0 and it runs fine because it is using the "built-in
> I.E." that AOL has ... but there is no change in the original I.E. problem on
> the Dell 2400. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix the I.E.
> 6?

I`m not sure if its built in to XP, but there may be something under
start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information

There`s a menu under win9x in the above program for "IE repair tool"

--
Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 3:31:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

i agree with hank. troubleshooting the problem can cost you considerable
time and still not have a positive result. it sounds likely that the
computer has a trojan, spyware or a hijacked browser that is the cause of
the problem. the only think i would suggest that you try before a compete
reinstall is to do a system restore to an earlier date.
start-allprograms-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore and follow prompts to
restore the system to an earlier date. system restore impacts the system
software and not any data. if internet explorer works after doing a restore
then be sure to update the antivirus software, as well as repeatedly visit
windowsupdate.microsoft.com and collect all the latest security fixes.
also, once ie is working you can visit www.lavasoft.de and download their
free version of ad-aware to search and remove possible trojans, spyware, and
hijackers.

"John" <jcsarp@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20041113210501.21555.00000517@mb-m11.aol.com...
>I inherited a Dell Dimension 2400 from my deceased step father. Pentium 4,
>2.2
> GHz, XP Home, 256 RAM, Microsoft I.E. Build 6.0.2800.1106. It runs fine
> except
> for one problem. Internet Explorer will not open or run. When I try to
> open
> it I receive a message ... "there is a problem with Internet Explorer ...
> would
> you like to report the problem?" What kind of stupid message is that?
> Nothing
> happens or changes regardless of what I select. I.E. will not open or
> run.
>
> I tried to delete I.E. 6, but there is no listing for it in the add/remove
> programs. I tried to reinstall it by using a genuine Microsoft I.E. 6
> Service
> Pack 1 CD, but I receive a message that there is a newer version of I.E.
> on my
> computer and it will not let me install the CD I have.
>
> I finally installed AOL 9.0 and it runs fine because it is using the
> "built-in
> I.E." that AOL has ... but there is no change in the original I.E. problem
> on
> the Dell 2400. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix the
> I.E.
> 6?
>
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
>
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 3:34:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

that tool is not available in xp. here is what microsoft suggets for ie
troublshooting in xp...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c015eb96247569b98aa2f@news.individual.net...
>> I finally installed AOL 9.0 and it runs fine because it is using the
>> "built-in
>> I.E." that AOL has ... but there is no change in the original I.E.
>> problem on
>> the Dell 2400. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix the
>> I.E.
>> 6?
>
> I`m not sure if its built in to XP, but there may be something under
> start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information
>
> There`s a menu under win9x in the above program for "IE repair tool"
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
!