Can ping and transfer files but cannot not access net...

We have a problem with one computer on our network. We can ping the computer
and transfer large files accross the network. But we cannot run the internet
or any other programs using the network connection.

Any tips?
4 answers Last reply
More about ping transfer files access

    Hi,

    On the one computer that can't access the Internet, is the IP address set
    manually, if it is, check the Gateway IP address and make sure it's pointed
    to your Base Station/Router? Or configure your machine that it obtains an IP
    address.

    Choose the option to obtain an IP address automatically, as well, check the
    DNS server settings and make sure that it's set to automatically obtain the
    DNS server information as well.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a problem with one computer on our network. We can ping the
    > computer
    > and transfer large files accross the network. But we cannot run the
    > internet
    > or any other programs using the network connection.
    >
    > Any tips?

    The IP's, gateway, and dns addresses are static and correct. That's the
    first thing we tried.

    Any other ideas?

    "Gary Tsang" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On the one computer that can't access the Internet, is the IP address set
    > manually, if it is, check the Gateway IP address and make sure it's pointed
    > to your Base Station/Router? Or configure your machine that it obtains an IP
    > address.
    >
    > Choose the option to obtain an IP address automatically, as well, check the
    > DNS server settings and make sure that it's set to automatically obtain the
    > DNS server information as well.
    >
    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >
    > "Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We have a problem with one computer on our network. We can ping the
    > > computer
    > > and transfer large files accross the network. But we cannot run the
    > > internet
    > > or any other programs using the network connection.
    > >
    > > Any tips?

    Hi,

    Are you able to ping and get a response from a website or a Internet IP
    address?

    --

    > The IP's, gateway, and dns addresses are static and correct. That's the
    > first thing we tried.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > "Gary Tsang" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> On the one computer that can't access the Internet, is the IP address set
    >> manually, if it is, check the Gateway IP address and make sure it's
    >> pointed
    >> to your Base Station/Router? Or configure your machine that it obtains an
    >> IP
    >> address.
    >>
    >> Choose the option to obtain an IP address automatically, as well, check
    >> the
    >> DNS server settings and make sure that it's set to automatically obtain
    >> the
    >> DNS server information as well.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary Tsang
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>
    >> "Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > We have a problem with one computer on our network. We can ping the
    >> > computer
    >> > and transfer large files accross the network. But we cannot run the
    >> > internet
    >> > or any other programs using the network connection.
    >> >
    >> > Any tips?

    Yes. I pinged the NASA About Time server and replied all four times. This
    one is new problem for me and out technical guy.

    "Gary Tsang" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are you able to ping and get a response from a website or a Internet IP
    > address?
    >
    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >
    > "Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The IP's, gateway, and dns addresses are static and correct. That's the
    > > first thing we tried.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas?
    > >
    > > "Gary Tsang" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> On the one computer that can't access the Internet, is the IP address set
    > >> manually, if it is, check the Gateway IP address and make sure it's
    > >> pointed
    > >> to your Base Station/Router? Or configure your machine that it obtains an
    > >> IP
    > >> address.
    > >>
    > >> Choose the option to obtain an IP address automatically, as well, check
    > >> the
    > >> DNS server settings and make sure that it's set to automatically obtain
    > >> the
    > >> DNS server information as well.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary Tsang
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > >>
    > >> "Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Routers Network Connection Hardware Computers Microsoft Networking