What's New in Windows 7 Build 7048

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I like how you can disable MSIE in Windows 7, but I just figured out how to get msn messenger to stop launching MSIE and use Firefox instead for everything. That was my big problem. It is still nice to be able to access a browser from any explorer window you have open (control panel, file explorer, etc) but all the malware and popup problems make it entirely not worth it. Although I never had any malware/virii on vista. Nothing's perfect though, they even have malware on mac osx now.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
the benchies that jsloan linked are indicating vi$hta-sp2/$even gets slower/ly to alpha state - aka rc in m$ slang - just applying the last strokes of make-up...

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The best feature will be the ability to strip down the OS to just the components you want. I also think this might make it more appealing for businesses.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
And what about speed, efficiency, compatibility? Will we be able to run all those Windows XP apps that didn't run in Vista?

IamMark

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I'd really like to know what strides they made in improving performance. Windows XP is still considerably faster just doing basic OS type activities, such as viewing Windows logs, using Add/Remove Programs, etc. And my system isn't the culprit: Intel i7 920 with 6 gigs of RAM.

G

As mentioned previously, Aero Peek is now integrated into the Alt-Tab method of switching windows -- so now keyboarders can take advantage of the new “glass” effect as well.

This was already possible by pressing the windows logo key with TAB.

and yes, Internet Explorer 8.
Take note,that without at least internet explorer 5 installed you can not visit update.windows manually, and will need to rely on the systray icon to do automatic updates, or do downloads of...

Internet Explorer 6 SP1 can be downloaded via the download center with firefox here.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]Whats with ending every article lately with a question?[/citation]
It first started mainly with Jane, Indicating that they thought our comments were important and intended to read/respond to them. Though, so far, Jane is also the only one to keep up with her articles and respond to comments consistantly.

Occasionally Kevin will admit to a typo, but will very rarely if ever answer to his downright misleading or wrong or plagerised articles.

Marcus on the other hand has never been seen responding to the comments in his articles.

G

I'd really like to know what strides they made in improving performance. Windows XP is still considerably faster just doing basic OS type activities, such as viewing Windows logs, using Add/Remove Programs, etc. And my system isn't the culprit: Intel i7 920 with 6 gigs of RAM.

Today I worked with a P2 266Mhz, 256MB RAM/100Mhz, and win98se.
It worked about as fast as my core2duo 1,66Ghz, 2GB RAM/533Mhz, and WinXP.
If it wasn't for compatibility issues like drivers, I would remain with Win98!

Very responsive OS!

As for the questions, I generally don't answer them, since I don't wanna be part of a nice poll & chitchat party.
I tend to respond only to interesting topics. A question will not make me want to respond more,since I know very seldom they actually DO something when you answer it.
I mean, it's not like this feedback goes straight to Microsoft for evaluation!
I'd be surprised if even one high guy looks at these replies!

A company doing so would do wise to listen to it's users feedback;but it's not like MS cares if a few thousand people don't agree with their "improvements"...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Today I worked with a P2 266Mhz, 256MB RAM/100Mhz, and win98se.It worked about as fast as my core2duo 1,66Ghz, 2GB RAM/533Mhz, and WinXP.If it wasn't for compatibility issues like drivers, I would remain with Win98!Very responsive OS!As for the questions, I generally don't answer them, since I don't wanna be part of a nice poll & chitchat party.I tend to respond only to interesting topics. A question will not make me want to respond more,since I know very seldom they actually DO something when you answer it.I mean, it's not like this feedback goes straight to Microsoft for evaluation!I'd be surprised if even one high guy looks at these replies!A company doing so would do wise to listen to it's users feedback;but it's not like MS cares if a few thousand people don't agree with their "improvements"...[/citation]
define work and fast. What you are saying there is a total bullshit :)

pingu_Z

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
At one of the places I work we have a vast supply of Win 98 se machines, each of them P2 Celerons running 400 MHz with 64-128MB ram. Each boots in roughly 10s and opens office 2000 in ~3s. Now given, they each have to run Firefox 2 point something or other and flash / java support on them is basically nonexistent but they work. Now they are only used by staff for emailing and chatting and what not and sure they are burning out weekly (fortunately I have a room of like 40 of them) but what specs would you need to get XP or Vista or even Win 7 to do that with the current generations of software out there? I think you have to remember if you pair each generation’s hardware with the software matching the same time frame you will find them to perform quite admirable.
You complain of Vista compatibility issues, let’s see you daisy chain serial connections and try to get the system to recognise the fact you even have hardware plugged in let along match the hardware to the proper drivers. Or better yet, try to use an ISA device on XP, but seriously can I get a list of this software that does not work on Vista because try as I might I can’t seem to find any software of significance, value or quality that does not work on Vista.

nemo888

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
Vista was such a gold plated turd I don't see why anyone would ever pay money to own it. The "New" 7 has the same kernel as Vista and is full of even more disturbing and invasive DRM. The faster hardware would need an extra 40 watts of electricity just to run this flaming turd as fast as XP. We didn't need a new OS, let alone an unfinished broken pile of shiny crap.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
seriously, what is the difference between win98se gen programs [ like office 2000 or yahoo messenger in early versions or something else ], and new gen programs? they all grow in visual effects as the functions mostly are equal, so, there is one problem, is it with the programs that are not coded good enough like old times? or is it the OSes that are eating all the resources that a program needs to run? like office 2007!
I recently bought a notebook with good hardware in specifications [intel core2dou 2.26 with 3mb cache, nvidia 9200m gs 3g RAM ... for office use] and running vista, I installed office 2007, and I can feel the lag between keypresses and showing letters on monitor!!!
I really wonder, office 2000 and 2007, do the same, mostly only visual effects are different, but it costs too much resources for these? or is it a bad new codings for programs? or OSes Suck?
[ not mentioning that vista is vad, vista with a desktop pc and good HW is good! ]

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Removing search is a thing I think will be very helpful. The search built in to vista is horrid, unrealiable and slow. I don't know if it's fixed in windows 7, but probably it isn't. So with hte option to remove it I bet other companies might take a shot at making a search feature that actually works.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Nemo888[/nom]Vista was such a gold plated turd I don't see why anyone would ever pay money to own it. The "New" 7 has the same kernel as Vista and is full of even more disturbing and invasive DRM. The faster hardware would need an extra 40 watts of electricity just to run this flaming turd as fast as XP. We didn't need a new OS, let alone an unfinished broken pile of shiny crap.[/citation]
Who shoved a stick up your hemerroiding anus?
[citation][nom]vaskodogama[/nom]seriously, what is the difference between win98se gen programs [ like office 2000 or yahoo messenger in early versions or something else ], and new gen programs? they all grow in visual effects as the functions mostly are equal, so, there is one problem, is it with the programs that are not coded good enough like old times? or is it the OSes that are eating all the resources that a program needs to run? like office 2007!I recently bought a notebook with good hardware in specifications [intel core2dou 2.26 with 3mb cache, nvidia 9200m gs 3g RAM ... for office use] and running vista, I installed office 2007, and I can feel the lag between keypresses and showing letters on monitor!!!I really wonder, office 2000 and 2007, do the same, mostly only visual effects are different, but it costs too much resources for these? or is it a bad new codings for programs? or OSes Suck? [ not mentioning that vista is vad, vista with a desktop pc and good HW is good! ][/citation]
Of course the programs are "slower" because good programmers aren't worth it anymore.
You can just get some guy who can do the job "okay" but perform like "crap" but that's most of the time okay with the companies.
Mostly because we have more processing power these days as time goes on.
Infact,it's Wirth's law.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Some people behave to new software/hardware like old folks that you try to make them to move from their old house in wich they lived for 60 years into a new home :)

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Nemo888[/nom]Vista was such a gold plated turd I don't see why anyone would ever pay money to own it. The "New" 7 has the same kernel as Vista and is full of even more disturbing and invasive DRM. The faster hardware would need an extra 40 watts of electricity just to run this flaming turd as fast as XP. We didn't need a new OS, let alone an unfinished broken pile of shiny crap.[/citation]

U are either trolling, an Apple fanboy or just plain stupid.

Which one is it?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]U are either trolling, an Apple fanboy or just plain stupid. Which one is it?[/citation]
Apple fanboys can't recognize hype, and he seems to know what that is. So it must be one of the other two options.

Status
Not open for further replies.