Status
Not open for further replies.

ng649

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello,
I want to buy laptop for my home use and to replace my PC. I have two chioces..which is a better quality, durable, reliable, performence, tech support? Lenovo or ASUS?

1. Lenovo, 15.6"
i3 2310, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM , 500 GB, 2.1 GHz, 3MB smart cache $510.00

2. ASUS, 15.6"
i5-2410M dual-core processor, 2.3 GHz, 3 MB Smart Cache, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM $650.00

lol, never buy electronics based on their support capability. If they happen to have it that day or week then count yourself lucky!
Other than that Lenovo is the better known brand of the two, but that ASUS is likely a much more powerful machine.

When looking at a laptop there are other things to consider; Battery life, screen type/brightness, feel, weight, heat, and connection types (cant tell you how many times I have grabbed my work laptop not realizing I plugged it in! Something tear-away is a plus!).
I would go to a store and see if I could get my hands on them to compare first, and then go buy it online wherever you can get it cheapest.

ng649

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

they both have 6 cell battery ...

ng649

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

i agree with you, i really like lenovo keyboard...

ng649

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

yes both are LED and same res.

Overall, the Asus is the better performing laptop because the i5-2410M CPU is 200MHz faster than the i3-2310 CPU. The i5 also has Turbo Boost which automatically overclocks the CPU when under load. The clock speed goes up to 2.9GHz if only one core is being used, or up to 2.7GHz if both cores are used. The Core i3 does not have Turbo Boost.

Quality, durability, reliability can vary from brand name to brand name. It can even vary by model for all brand names. One of the best would probably be Lenovo's ThinkPad T series. They are business class laptops and they have even crash tested at 35MPH. Of course the laptop suffered some rather serious damage, but the data (hard drive) was intact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw78gcU713g

I don't have any experience with Asus tech support. However, I did deal with Lenovo's tech support about 3 weeks after I purchased my IdeaPad Y470. Basically what happened is Windows 7 stopped recognizing the nVidia GT 550M video card.

I called tech support and after choosing a few menu options I was able to speak with a representative and after a few questions, I was quickly escalated up to the next level of tech support. That person told me it is most likely a hardware issue, but recommended a re-install of Windows 7 just to be sure. The laptop would have to be shipped to their Texas support center to be diagnosed and repaired.

It turned out to be a software issue so re-installing Windows 7 solved the issue. So I didn't have to waste money shipping my laptop to Texas. Additionally, the two representatives I spoke with had mid-west accents so tech support does seem to be actually based in the US.

My experience with ASUS is excellent. Although I can only say this for the service centre in Australia.

Rang them for phone diagnoses, took 30 minutes to determine it needs to be returned.

Arranged for courier pick up, and the courier picked it up the next morning, arrived on Melbourne for the diagnoses the same day and swapped out dead HDD.

Shipped back to me the next day and received it the same afternoon, all free under warranty.

There's the problem. They're not necessarily the same; one could have bleeding on the edges or dead pixels etc etc. I'm not saying you should choose by monitor, but basic specs don't tell you everything. Check out reviews if you can (Egg?).

gnuman

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I would choose the Asus. First of call i5>>>>> i3. Second Asus failure rates are lower than Lenovo's and Asus depending on the model give you 1 yr accidental coverage and 2 yr mfg warranty.

I have my Asus G51Vx-X3A for almost 2 years and not 1 single issue

makafri

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
mmm if you will use it in your home you shouldn't buy a laptop :) buy a desktop pc you will get more for your money, and an overall better experience, you can fix it easier too...

ng649

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

space is the problem... i want to get rid of computer desk, currently i have a desktop...i have thought of new desktop as well... but two reasons...space and portability...
but i am going to give it a thought... thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.