help w/new amd system, newbie here

unityxx311

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on whether or not these readings are good and if not what can i do to change.. im not over clocked w/athlon 1800 pal., asus a7v333, antec trupower 430w, using heatsink w/retail box of athlon.. im reading
mb temp 34 c
cpu temp 57 c
vcore 1.8 - although set at 1.75? dont understand that
12v--12
5v---4.9
3.3v-3.26

please and thanks matt

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Damn I wish my voltages looked that good! I'm guessing you've got what, one 80mm case fan on your box?

CPU temp is fine (ignore Athlon temps unless you find the chip locking up, but >70C might indicate poor HSF contact or REALLY bad case flow, lol). That mb temp is a little higher than I expected (but by no means too hot, I have the same board) but then again I have 3 80mm fans and an air conditioner in my room. Damn you now I'm thinking about pickin up that PSU!

I enjoyed adding the additional fans to my box simply because I overclock, and better caseflow really helped keep my temps low. If you're not overclocking your temps and voltages look great. Also, avoid using the Asus temp/voltage reader and instead use MotherBoard Monitor 5.0 (google search for : MBM 5.0 download). It's awesome, and more accurate.

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>

Duzen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I have the same mobo and AXP 2100+.
Your temperatures are low enough.

If your BIOS isn't 1011, flash it to it.
I have done this and now the reported temperatures are lower.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
all your voltages and temp looks fine dude. core voltage jumps around the most because it depends on whether the core is doing something or not. if you ever observe the core voltage coming out of sleep mode, you'd see that, whoops, it drops noticeably for and back up. coming out of sleep requires the cpu to wake up and energize all its power decoupling caps.

57C huh? my p4 is at most 45C.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

unityxx311

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
<i>I'm guessing you've got what, one 80mm case fan on your box?</i>
nope 3.. i got the antec Perform Plus 1080 Case

have any idea on how to get better air flow?

thanks

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
*whistles*

Sweet case Matt...

Question: What is your fan configuration (of the 4 fan mounts). My first suggestion would be to spend 5$ and grab the fourth fan, for a nice even pressured case.

Caseflow is a an art in itself. First, let me tell you the hardcore method to getting good caseflow which I read somewhere: a guys would take off the side of his case, replace with plexiglass (just hold it over) and hold a stick of incense near the intake. Now, I didn't have any plexiglass so I grabbed some plastic saran wrap and covered one side of my case, and burned some incense. I could see the smoke trap in the upper portion of my case and just cyclone. I ended up cutting (with a rotary tool) a blowhole in the top and putting another 80mm blowing upward. THAT really kicked ass and you can feel the hot air coming out that sucker now.

Easier methods: Wrap up your wires inside. Anything that hangs out blocks air. Use scotch tape to tape up any breathing holes in your case (from the inside so its hidden) so that air only travels in and out through your fans. Play with reversing the direction of your fans (I like one low blowing in and two high blowing out, but if you're using your side fan I'd leave it blowing in).

Also, what did you use to secure the HSF to the CPU? I spent 7$ on AS3 and used it instead of my original HSF tape and found it to lower temps by 5c on the CPU. Then I purchased a Volcano 7+ (which works on AMD and Intel, good investment for futer use) which I LOVE on medium setting.

You've got some sweet gear, when is it time to OC!!!

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Yeah, my P4 based Celeron runs at 41C and that's with only one case exhaust fan, and the CPU fan. :)

Knowledge is the key to understanding

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
lol.

yeah, why don't you throw in that extra case fan for 'even pressure'... why not put it in a wind tunnel blowing air at a rate of 200 mph.

careful observation would reveal that your 37C case temp is good already, but do something about the cpu temp.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

unityxx311

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
<i>I ended up cutting (with a rotary tool) a blowhole in the top and putting another 80mm blowing upward.</i> Cool! hahah how long did that take and have u done it before? I paid 130 for my case so id be a lil nervous to attempt

<i>Wrap up your wires inside.</i> Yea what about ide cables, those damn things are in the way cause i have 4 of them..

<i>Play with reversing the direction of your fans (I like one low blowing in and two high blowing out, but if you're using your side fan I'd leave it blowing in).</i> okay i think that, im at work now, but the 2 on the back blow in and so does the side.. so how do i reverse, is it just as simple as pulling them out and flipping them?

<i>I spent 7$ on AS3 and used it instead of my original HSF tape and found it to lower temps by 5c on the CPU. </i> is this the stuff you can get at radio shack?

thanks for all the help so far! oh and what mem and vcard are u using.. i spent a lil extar and picked up a geo4 4200 128mb and crucial 2700 ddr 256

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Hey great post!

Nothing better than guys like you to take up space with worthless n00b commentary! ROFL.

Listen, do us a favor? Keep sending your payments to Dell, enjoy your 100 FSB and keep the comments to yourself?

Thanks!

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Hey great post!

Nothing better than guys like you to take up space with worthless n00b commentary! ROFL.

Listen, do us a favor? Keep sending your payments to Dell, enjoy your 100 FSB and keep the comments to yourself?

Thanks!

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
K, sorry for the late reply but things got crazy today...

Blowhole: Never did it before, but LMAO when I did it. My case was a 54$ turbocase (which I regret buying, caveat to all: Don't get cheap on PSU, or case for that matter! :p) I just outlined the shape of the fan (circular center) and drew the outline on top. I then attached the circular cutter blades and just sawed my way around. Took me about 20 minutes, then I just rubber cemented the fan blowing upward. My case only had two fan holes standard, and was trapping heat REALLY bad up top. Therefore, I don't recommend cutting anything to anyone squeamish out there, but I did have a blast doing it, and it really helped me out by blowing out my hottest region. In your "case" Matt, that case is too perty to bring blades too. But still buy the fourth fan, they're only like 5$ and not loud at all.

Wrap wires: I have a bunch of cable ties from a telecom internship. IDE's are killers, but do the best you can to at least keep them near the sides of the case and not in the traffic of airflow. Round IDE cables are sweet also, worth considering. Again, your temps are totally fine, I just happen to be addicted to tweaking anything on my PC.

Flip Fans: Yep, its that easy! Your case has those clip boxes, right? Just pop it out and pop it right back in the other way. Most fans blow in the direction of the label on the "front" in the center of the fins. Try it and check your temps.

AS3: Check it <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/as3.htm" target="_new">out</A>. Radio Shack would probably carry it, but you can easily order it online, or pick some up at a local computer store. Get the smallest container possible, because you only use half-of-a grain of rice's worth for the CPU, and a little to rub into the HSF base itself.

Good RAM and Video Card BTW

My system:
XP 2000
A7V333
512x1 PC2700 Samsung
ATI AIW 7500 (weak, I know, but damn I love that card)
Maxtor 80GB 7,200 liquid bearing ATA 133 (*snicker*)

Only change I would recommend is why not go 512? I use XP Pro and believe me, I use it!