Sign in with
Your question

Identifieng Malay P4s

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2002 11:21:00 PM

I am building a custom system and I MUST have a Malaysian P4. Anyone know how to tell if it is a Malay or not by looking at the box?

More about : identifieng malay p4s

August 25, 2002 7:37:54 AM

Dunno how but just curious. why is it so important?

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
August 25, 2002 4:02:38 PM

Cause the Costas won't OC as easily from 1.8 to 2.7. The Malays are just made a little better... and for the amount of abuse that I am going to dish out on this proc, a well made chip is essential.

I figured out the answer btw... Took me about 5 hours of sifting through backwards ass, poorly translated korean website to figure out that if the FPO# starts with 3 its a Costa and if it starts with an L, its a Malay. You can read this number right off of the box.

Just call me detective ZeroPoint.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ZeroPoint on 08/25/02 12:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 25, 2002 5:58:27 PM

Wow, you sure? That's quite impressive. BTW, where'd you hear the Malays overclock better? Just wondering :smile: .

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 25, 2002 8:45:04 PM

I don't think it makes sense that a different country chip would be better.
I mean aren't they all made in the same fab or in the USA where Intel's fabs are?

--
And now, an advice from your friendly Nike shoes slogan: JUST DO HER!
August 25, 2002 9:41:25 PM

Nope, Intel's got may fabs around the world, like in Peurto Rico(sp?) and Philipenes and Malaysia and other places (actually, maybe they're not fabs, and just centers... I dunno) where they put together their chips.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 25, 2002 9:54:03 PM

Still, IIRC the stepping is what determines the OCability, such as the Tbird AXIA being known as some 1.6A-like OCer.

--
And now, an advice from your friendly Nike shoes slogan: JUST DO HER!
August 25, 2002 10:00:52 PM

But some fabs may be getting better yeilds than others.

!