How can I move from windows 7 64 bit to windows 7 32 bit

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • Software
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
June 2, 2010 2:44:12 PM

Hello,I just bought a computer preinstalled with windows 7, 64 bit. I have some software that will not run in 64 bit and it much too expensive to upgrade. I think I have three options:

1. Windows 7 update from Microsoft which allows XP compatibility mode
2. Reinstall Windows 7 as 32 bit
3. Install XP

Option one seems to be best, but I'm not confident that it will work, so considering option 2 - how can I move from windows 7 64 bit to windows 7 32 bit

More about : move windows bit windows bit

a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 5:35:47 PM

Hi jbesham,

The only way to go from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 7 32-bit is to do a custom installation of Windows 7 32-bit. This means backing up your files, programs, and settings and starting new. Are you sure this is what you want to do? If the issue you are having is because the programs are older and not compatible with Windows 7, you can try changing the compatiblity of the programs - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-...

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 7:26:59 PM

I would install XP and dual boot. But that just my 2 cents
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 7:52:58 PM

What programs won't work in 64-bit windows? If it's games, then you could dual-boot. Otherwise, if it's a program that doesn't require 3d hardware acceleration, I would install the virtual PC XP Mode instead and run your programs that way. No having to reboot, etc.
m
l
June 2, 2010 8:20:31 PM

Both 64 bit and 32 bit software will run on your computer... what software is it??
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:51:59 AM

Option 1 "Windows 7 update from Microsoft which allows XP compatibility mode" will not work, since it is only for Win 7, 64bit Professional and I'm running the Home version.

I'm trying to run Palette version 5.6 "Layout and Editing" from Baby Lock for Creative Embroidery Software. It runs fine in Windows XP and the software vendor is saying that it will not run with Windows 7, 64 bit. The program starts and flashes the main screen (console), then dies. I've tried running it in Compatibility mode (Win XP, SP 2), but still no luck.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 2:54:16 AM

jbesham said:
Option 1 "Windows 7 update from Microsoft which allows XP compatibility mode" will not work, since it is only for Win 7, 64bit Professional and I'm running the Home version.

I'm trying to run Palette version 5.6 "Layout and Editing" from Baby Lock for Creative Embroidery Software. It runs fine in Windows XP and the software vendor is saying that it will not run with Windows 7, 64 bit. The program starts and flashes the main screen (console), then dies. I've tried running it in Compatibility mode (Win XP, SP 2), but still no luck.

You still have an option which is to get either Virtual Box or VMWare Player and then install Windows XP into a virtual machine through either of those applications. I myself like the VMWare Player but either one is excellent and both can do 3d acceleration.

You can also get Virtual PC from Microsoft. None of those require Windows 7 Professional.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 4:23:16 PM

Option 1 will actually work for you (if you choose upgrading is the way you want to go). Both Ultimate and Professional include XP Mode. So, you can use the Anytime Upgrade feature to move from Home Premium to either of those options.

Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 4:43:06 PM

@jbesham,

Upgrading to Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate will cost you money (upgrade price of over $100) whereas using either Virtual Box or VMWare Player is free, granted that you already have a licensed and activated version of XP to use that wasn't invalidated by doing an upgrade to Windows 7 from that copy of XP.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 6:11:46 PM

marcellis22 said:
Both 64 bit and 32 bit software will run on your computer...

......but often they won't install if they have a 16 bit installer, which was not uncommon all that long ago.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 7:16:27 PM

FALC0N said:
......but often they won't install if they have a 16 bit installer, which was not uncommon all that long ago.

Or if the software you have requires a driver and all that is available is 32-bit drivers only. You can run 32-bit programs in 64-bit windows, but all drivers must be 64-bit.
m
l
June 4, 2010 9:00:40 PM

Thanks for all the input!!!

I solved my issue by removing the Windows 7 partitions and installing XP. Now My Palette software for Creative Embroidery works fine. The primary use of this computer is for the Embroidery software, so this solution for my case worked fine.

Again thanks for all the input.
m
l
June 4, 2010 9:01:53 PM

Best answer selected by jbesham.
m
l
!