Eraador

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2002
Does either thoroughbred work on motherboards with palimino compatibilities? For instance my Abit KR7A-133. I was wondering how long my motherboard will be good for. If it supported the Thoroughbred it would last for a good while longer.

eden

Champion
That's a first, Palimino, new incorrect spelling, and very far from the real one! :smile:

Ok for real, IIRC a Tbred SHOULD be able, it's Socket A, but the problem would be the voltage. Check on the Abit website, and make sure that your mobo is Tbred certified or has a BIOS update for IT.
Good luck!

--
And now, an advice from your friendly Nike shoes slogan: JUST DO HER!

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I am sure they made a mistake in the article they talked about 4 revisions of the athlon so far, but i thought there was 5:

spitfire (Not very good)
Thunderbird (increase cache, cool processor)
Palamino (Move to organics substrate)
Throughbred A(0.13 process)
Throughbred B(Improved copper interconnects,fast)

Am I correct?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
You forgot to mention the K7 & K75 Athlon cores that had no on-die cache, they were using the slot A cache at 1/2, 1/2.5 or 1/3 core speed.

For all I care, the MP and the mobile Athlon 4 cores are both based on the Palomino, making them special but by no mean unique cores. The Athlon 4 is optimised for energy saving and lower core temp and the MP went through additional testing, so it's certified for SMP use and comes with unlocked multipliers.

The Spitfire is the first Duron core, based on the Thunderbird core, the Morgan is the second Duron core, based on the Palomino core.
Both of them are "limited" to a 100MHz FSB ( I managed to run a Morgan AHHAA @ 7.5 x 133 and a AHLCA @ 7.0 x 166 ) and come with only 64K L2 cache.

Fok Speling Misstake