Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Add internal Card Reader to Dell Dimension 4600

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 12:07:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a releative with a Dell 4600 and want to add a card reader. The
problem I have is that the when I connect the card reader in place of
the front panel I/O cable the PC refuses to boot.

Does anyone know what the pin layout is on the motherbaord so that I
can change the card reader cable to match.

Thanks in advance

Raider
November 14, 2004 6:43:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

shouldn't this be connecting onto a usb internal socket rather than the I/O
socket?
"Raider" <htfc@therhodesgallery.me-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:419766a9$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
>I have a releative with a Dell 4600 and want to add a card reader. The
> problem I have is that the when I connect the card reader in place of
> the front panel I/O cable the PC refuses to boot.
>
> Does anyone know what the pin layout is on the motherbaord so that I
> can change the card reader cable to match.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Raider
>
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 11:58:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Try attaching AFTER boot.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Related resources
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 1:34:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> shouldn't this be connecting onto a usb internal socket rather than
the I/O
> socket?
>

The cable from the card reader has a 8 pin rectangular plug on the end
with one of the holes blocked as a locator. The only place I can find
to plug it into on the motherboard is where I have specified.

Is there a diagram of this socket anywhere?

Raider
November 15, 2004 9:16:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It refuses to boot coz the I/O youve disconnected controls the on off switch
at the front this reader I asm sure should connect to the internal usb as I
mentioned although I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will tell me. In all
honesty though i cant ever remember seeing such a port on the systemboard so
just maybe you cant add this reader to your machine
"Raider" <htfc@therhodesgallery.me-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4198cc7c$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
>> shouldn't this be connecting onto a usb internal socket rather than
> the I/O
>> socket?
>>
>
> The cable from the card reader has a 8 pin rectangular plug on the end
> with one of the holes blocked as a locator. The only place I can find
> to plug it into on the motherboard is where I have specified.
>
> Is there a diagram of this socket anywhere?
>
> Raider
>
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:16:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The only wires in that front panel connector are for the on/off
switch and the LED. What the card reader needs is a USB
port. The Dell does have a front panel I/O connector,
which might be the front panel USB ports. See;
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/e...
However, there is no guarantee that this is wired the same as your card
reader.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cnarqg$b9b$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> It refuses to boot coz the I/O youve disconnected controls the on off
> switch at the front this reader I asm sure should connect to the
> internal usb as I mentioned although I'm sure if I'm wrong someone
> will tell me. In all honesty though i cant ever remember seeing such a
> port on the systemboard so just maybe you cant add this reader to your
> machine
> "Raider" <htfc@therhodesgallery.me-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
> message news:4198cc7c$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
>>> shouldn't this be connecting onto a usb internal socket rather than
>> the I/O
>>> socket?
>>>
>>
>> The cable from the card reader has a 8 pin rectangular plug on the
>> end
>> with one of the holes blocked as a locator. The only place I can find
>> to plug it into on the motherboard is where I have specified.
>>
>> Is there a diagram of this socket anywhere?
>>
>> Raider
>>
>
>
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:33:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Does the 4600 have an internal USB port? If not you may have to install
an add-on USB card with an internal connector.

--
Steve Williams



"Raider" <htfc@therhodesgallery.me-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:419766a9$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
> I have a releative with a Dell 4600 and want to add a card reader. The
> problem I have is that the when I connect the card reader in place of
> the front panel I/O cable the PC refuses to boot.
>
> Does anyone know what the pin layout is on the motherbaord so that I
> can change the card reader cable to match.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Raider
>




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks for the advice - I havn't been back r3ecently as I was waiting
for an e-mail to tell me that there were replies, but this function
obviously doesn't work.

I am not trying to use the front control panel socket on the
motherboard to connect the reader to the motherboard but the front UDB
socket on the motherboard (looking from the front of the case with the
PC on its side it is on the left of the motherboard).

As I can power up the PC but not boot into windows, I assume that I
have not disconnected the power switch.

Does anyone know what the pin layout is for this socket (or the cable
which goes to the front USB ports) so that I can change the cable on
the card reader to match?

Raider
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 10:12:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks Fixer - at least we are now both looking at the same thing
(although I don't think its 1.5 inches long)

I can't recall seeing the little board you refer to - is it behind the
Hard Disk mounting on the front of the case?

In despeartion I have gone out and bought another Card Reader along
with a combined USB 2 and Firewire card (the firewire will be used for
Video Editing), but I would still like to know where I should be
plugging in the original card.

Raider
November 19, 2004 12:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I know the connection you are on about now, its the one thats about
1.5inches long with a slim connector either grey or black(take care when
removing as they break easily) instead of connecting onto that port you
should connect onto the little i/o card that it connects to which controls
the front two USB ports
"Raider" <htfc@therhodesgallery.me-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:419cc9e4$1_5@alt.athenanews.com...
> Thanks for the advice - I havn't been back r3ecently as I was waiting
> for an e-mail to tell me that there were replies, but this function
> obviously doesn't work.
>
> I am not trying to use the front control panel socket on the
> motherboard to connect the reader to the motherboard but the front UDB
> socket on the motherboard (looking from the front of the case with the
> PC on its side it is on the left of the motherboard).
>
> As I can power up the PC but not boot into windows, I assume that I
> have not disconnected the power switch.
>
> Does anyone know what the pin layout is for this socket (or the cable
> which goes to the front USB ports) so that I can change the cable on
> the card reader to match?
>
> Raider
>
!