Sign in with
Your question

Curious

Last response: in CPUs
August 26, 2002 1:56:06 PM

With some pretty incredible new hardware out recently (2.8 Ghz processors, Radeon 9700, etc) how long will it be before software producers start to challenge these new developments? Whats the point of having such nice hardware if software is produced for the masses (ie the 500Mhz user)?

More about : curious

August 26, 2002 5:17:28 PM

1. some people get satisfied by getting good benchmarks
2. some people want to run games in a very high resolution and high details
August 26, 2002 6:04:38 PM

Quote:
how long will it be before software producers start to challenge these new developments?

I presume by 'software' you mean simply, games. How long until software producers actually challenge these new developments? At the current rate, I think that'd be both now and when hell freezes over simultaniously. I haven't seen a well optimized piece of software in ages, which means that most performance on the hardware is being wasted. Yet at the same time, it also means that you need more and more RAM and CPU power to compensate. So hardware advancements are already being challenged to be 'enough' in the face of badly written software.

Quote:
Whats the point of having such nice hardware if software is produced for the masses (ie the 500Mhz user)?

Improved quality. Software is produced for to support both the minimum user and the maximum user, as well as to have headroom to support yet new power in the future. So just because a game has a 500MHz PC as a minimum requirement doesn't mean that it won't look and feel ten times better on a P4 2.8GHz.

It all comes down to one question: Which are you more interested in: Eye candy or depth? If you only care about depth, old hardware will do just fine. If your life is driven purely by eye candy, then always buy the best. Personally, I'm perfectly happy without the eye candy if the storyline is actually good.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
Related resources
August 27, 2002 6:05:35 AM

Agree with you. I remember have played 16 colours games that were more addict and fun that some of current "superb 3D lighting and so much stuff". And for this reason I keep my k6-2 500 alive, worth for so many things.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
August 27, 2002 6:11:57 AM

to add to C0rn_Flex's list:

3) Some people wants nice hardware to show-off to their peers.

Disregard my previous post.
August 27, 2002 2:27:06 PM

Quote:
Agree with you. I remember have played 16 colours games that were more addict and fun that some of current "superb 3D lighting and so much stuff". And for this reason I keep my k6-2 500 alive, worth for so many things.

Darn straight! :)  That's why just last week I was playing the 16-bit Final Fantasy V using an SNES emulator. That's why I was playing the 8-bit Final Fantasy I using a NES emulator. That's why I was playing Gauntlet using a Genesis emulator. :) 

It takes a LOT to entertain the <i>eyes</i>, but it is very easy to entertain the <i>mind</i>. Yet so many gome producers have forgotten this simple fact...

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2002 5:39:14 PM

As far as processors go, the faster the better! There are real world apps where it can make a HUGE difference, such as compiling video.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 27, 2002 5:45:50 PM

Doom 3 answer most of your question

At the end i have speak with a horny lady
August 27, 2002 6:14:51 PM

Quote:
Darn straight! :)  That's why just last week I was playing the 16-bit Final Fantasy V using an SNES emulator. That's why I was playing the 8-bit Final Fantasy I using a NES emulator. That's why I was playing Gauntlet using a Genesis emulator. :) 

You think that's hardcore, the next game on my list is Ultima 2. I'm starting it this weekend, with the original cloth map and everything laid out on my desk. :)  However, I've installed the third-party EGA upgrade patch available at <A HREF="http://exodus.voyd.net" target="_new">this great site.</A> I can't stomach CGA graphics.

Completed Ultima 1 two months ago LOL... But in the last two months I also finished the much more recent games Battlezone and Outcast, two excellent games IMO. I highly recommend them both.

Oh also played Silpheed two weeks ago (decent EGA arcade shooter from 1989, excellent MT-32 music), but couldn't beat the final boss Gloire. Has anyone beaten Gloire? How the hell do you do it? First you have to get through five mini-bosses before you even get to Gloire (no shield powerups or saving the game after the mini-bosses), then he fires his deadly lasers in some random pattern but I was able to hurt him enough so that he put up a shield barrier, but then you're supposed to knock out the three shield generators while dodging all the flak (I never got past that part), then you have to pummel him to death before he fires his mega-laser that wipes you out no matter what your shield level is. THIS GUY IS @#*!ing IMPOSSIBLE.

I've also never played any of the Final Fantasy games, so I'll be starting from the beginning with FFI in a year or so using the emulator I have (JNES I think?).

Ritesh
August 27, 2002 6:32:52 PM

Heh. Cool. Ultima.

The really early Ultimas remind me of other ones like Gemstone Warriors and Legacy of the Ancients. Then there are the tried and true AD&D ones like Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades, etc., etc.

Man, those are some good memories.

I might have to dig up my C=64. I never did find a good image of Pool of Radiance for my emulator. Besides, nothing beats the original. :) 

Oh, and if you do get into the FFs, make absolutely sure to get translations of the Japanese-only releases. Sadly, they're better than the rest. I wish America had gotten them. (Better yet, I wish Square would release FF 1 through 6 redone for the PC with modern graphics, but the exact same storylines.)

Oh, heh. That reminds me. I think there's a version of FF1 for some other system ... Swan ... something or other. (It's been ages.) It's the exact same storyline as FF1, but with bug fixes and enhancements.

Hmm ... Ultima. I miss Ultima Underworld I and II. Now <i>there</i> were some fun first-person titles. I wish they would do a third. Heh. I wish they'd do a third using the Doom III engine. ;) 

It'd never happen though, since you actually <i>talk</i> to NPCs instead of just blow everyone up. :( 

August 27, 2002 6:50:18 PM

Quote:
It'd never happen though, since you actually talk to NPCs instead of just blow everyone up. :( 

I don't think Outcast sold too well (sort of a testament to your statement) but it is a good example of a recent action game (1999 third person shooter) with a *TON* of NPC interaction. There must be at least two hours of spoken dialogue in the game. Quests within quests within quests, a good 30-40 hours of running around to save the world. The graphics consist of voxels as opposed to accelerated polygons, which is fine by me but many reviews condemned the game for the blurry voxels and the max resolution of 512x384. I suspect that since you can tolerate SNES games, you would be able to overlook any graphical shortcomings in this title! Great production value too, the second (Play) CD is devoted to wonderful music performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra. The quest system gives it a bit of an RPG feel too, but there's no attribute development or control of more than the main character.

Ritesh
August 27, 2002 6:53:52 PM

The SNES will remain as the best most entertaining console ever.
To me it was like the Athlon, it could keep up so much, and surprised us a lot many times. SNES' technology went further than Genesis did, it could play Super FX games despite the performance being so choppy (can't blame it, it has a 2.98MHZ processor!), had Mario RPG with such graphics, and not to mention FF6 and the rest of Square's more recent SNES games that had awesome graphics and effects, and finally, THE most spectacular SNES improvement, the DKC serie and their GFX.

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!
!