New Computer Update!

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Just for those who have been helping me the past few weeks with my nonsotp questions I just thought I'd give an update to how my computer status has been going.

For those who have been reading they know I was looking to buy the following

P4 1.8A GHZ
Abit TH7II-RAID
Samsung 512mb 16bit SS PC800 RDRAM

So I went out to buy new parts on friday during my lunch break and I went to the computer area of downtown Toronto (I live in TO). I went through at least 15 stores and I couldn't find the Abit mobo. I was just about to give up and go back to work when I saw 1 more store out of the corner of ym eye, I said "what the hell why not" and lo and behold they had ONE more in stock and it was the last one in the whole area. Talk about Fate =)

Anyways I put it all together and it runs like a dream now =) Haven't had any problems whatsoever. Now I gotta O/C it to 2.4GHZ =)))

Thanks for all the help I've been getting, ESP Chuck32 =)

Cooj
ps I'm at "member" status now!

I am ignorant no more!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good luck! You'll be loosing a big part of your performance if you have PC800 memory instead of PC1066 (unless you have the Samasung 40ns modules and can get them to reach PC1066 speed). And then their's the Dynamic Rambus Clock Generators, which are only rated at 400MHz for that board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Actually Crash, the RDRAM I have is 40ns ram but it's SS so I think thatll inhibit performance a bit.

I've never O/Ced before but I Don't think it should be to had with P4's. Do I need to change anything in terms of ram? Or will increasing the FSB to 133MHZ automatically increase the RDRAM up to 1066? What kinda limitations would prevent the ram from getting up to 1066?

PC800 = 100MHZ x 4 = 400 x 2 = PC800 Correct?
PC1066 = 133MHZ x 4 = 533 x 2 = PC1066 Correct?

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
:smile: You missed a 2 in my name there. BTW, no prob. That's why we're all here, to help.

PC800 = 100MHZ x 4 = 400 x 2 = PC800 Correct?
PC1066 = 133MHZ x 4 = 533 x 2 = PC1066 Correct?
Yup, that's right, and what you want to do is try that, and if you've got 40ns Samsung, then you're set to go. PC1066 should be attainable with them, and if not, use the 3X RAM multiplier instead of the 4X, and still get PC800. It's better than nothing. Also, you can go higher than 133MHz FSB, like you can try 140MHz, then you'll get 2.52GHz and using the 4X mult, you'll get PC1120, and with the 3X, you'll get PC840.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, if you have your RAM multiplier set at Auto it should drop down to 3x automatically, but I'm not certain it will. 3x133=400, aka PC800 speed on the "533" system bus.

If you want to try forcing it to PC1066 speed, you can try the 4x multiplier at 133MHz FSB. If it fails, you can always clock it down. And if it fails, you won't know whether it's the RAM or the clock generators destablizing your system, since the RAM clock generators are also only rated for 400MHz PC800 speed.

The safest and slowest way of cours is to manually drop it to 3x, that will give you the performance of the 2.4A instead of the 2.4B when you overclock to 133MHz FSB. This is probably the first thing I'd try, just to verify the stability of the CPU at that speed. I would push the vcore up to 1.65v my first attempt, increase it to 1.70v if 1.65v doesn't work, or try decreasing it if it does work to find the lowest stable core voltage at that speed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>