Sign in with
Your question

I want to upgrade my P4, but need help

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2002 7:37:56 AM

I am not a hardware expert like many people here, so my questions to some (if many) might be considered laughable. Be warned.

I bought a P4 1.4 from Dell when they were selling their computers with ME. I believe it is an Intel 850 chipset, but not sure. It uses PC800 Rambus. Anyways, Intel just made a new price cut to all its processors to combat AMD again (gotta love competition), and the P4 2.5 should be going for 200 bucks quite shortly. At that price, I want to buy one.

Anyways, will this "Northwood", as I think the 2.5 is called, fit on my 850? Do I need to flash my BIOS or something? What's with all this .13u stuff? And then there's pins... the 423 pins and the 478 pins. I guess that corresponds with what "socket" (or whatever) my motherboard is suppose to be? I want a 478 socket motherboard, because all the Northwoods are 478. Do I have one? Or because I have an old 850, I'm stuck with some crappy 423? And then there's the 400 MHz FSB and the 533 MHz FSB... I think my 850 is 400, right? So I have to get a 400 MHz FSB, right? The 533 are for 845 boards, right?

In other words, I can't get this processor:
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

But I can get this one:

Or am I stuck with this crappy one?

Obviously, I want to buy the first one, but if I can install the second one on my board, I'd be happy with that. But ugh... if I'm forced into the third one... BLAH!

Please help.

More about : upgrade

August 27, 2002 7:52:24 AM

You will need to consult with dell with your serial number so they can look up the exact Intel OEM board installed in your machine.

Chances are with a 1.4Ghz CPU, you have a socket 423 motherboard. There is a <A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com/Products/P4N.htm" target="_new">423 to 478 adapter</A> available now that took forever to reach the market.

Powerleap might also know what your motherboard is.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
August 27, 2002 11:52:36 AM

Yeah, I think we got the same system :tongue: . And it uses Socket 423.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2002 5:25:43 PM

1. Unlike Fugger, I know the answer. All 1.4's were socket 423, you would be stuck with a Willy and no options to upgrade to a Woody on that socket. I think the highest speed for the Willy was 2.0GHz, but not sure on that. Anyway, a Willy with PC800 still beats a NW with SDRAM, at least you didn't fall into that trap!

2. NO! The i850/i850E is the best performing chipset for all P4's, including the ones with "533 bus"! But Intel manufatured boards (including the ones they made for Dell) suck because they don't support PC1066 at full speed. Then again you have PC800, you would get no performance andvantage of a 533 bus on a 400MHz memory speed. Not an issue for your current board which doesn't even support the "533" bus.

No, you're not limited to any of those processors. The first two won't work in your socket, and the third is not the fastest Willy. I know as a fact that the Willy went to at least 2.0GHz.

BTW, a stock PIII 1000EB system could match yours. My PIII 1000EB@1300MHz would blow it away. You really hurt yourself on this one performance wise. Your best option is to upgrade the case, power supply, and motherboard.

Oh, and you may hear about inexpensive "Socket 423 to Socket 478" adapters, typically costing $10 to $20. Those only work with Socket 478 Willy processors, and possibly not with your board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 27, 2002 9:22:46 PM

"Unlike Fugger, I know the answer." -ROFL

Dude, you are so full of yourself. I gave good advice and you had no clue the adapter even existed let alone what CPU's work with it. You start off on me like you are all that with some bad info.

Do us a favor Crashman, take a min to read up on the adapter before you chime in with incorrect information starting off with a attempt to make what I posted as incorrect information.

The above adapter works with i850 chipsets and all socket 478 processors "Supports Pentium-4 Northwood, Willamette, and P4 Celeron processors.".

If I am not mistaken he most likely has a GB850 reference board in his machine and that is listed on the page I linked above (reason I even mentioned the adapter in the first place).

Knowning that information combined with the fact that he has RDRAM, upgrading the CPU to 478 w/512k cache and 100FSB is possible given that his mobo meets powerleaps requirements.

Now read the topic, re-read my post. where did I go wrong again?

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2002 1:47:30 AM

Actually I didn't even read your post all the way through, because it started off with BS so I figured I might as well stop at the first BS sentence I saw! Nope, wasn't refering to that adapter, I was refering to the more commonly available adapters <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=E206922" target="_new">Like This</A>. If you wanted me to read far enough into your post to see that link, you shouldn't have started off with BS introduction.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2002 1:50:12 AM

You want a 2.0GHz that's a tad faster than a stock 1.8A northwood and doesn't require an expensive powerleap adapter? <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P42000423-N" target="_new">HERE</A>

August 28, 2002 5:05:45 AM

BS this and BS that...

Just goes to show you how little you actually know.

Grats being schooled by me once again. Next time research before you attempt to discredit me and try to talk down to me.

Maybe you should have just stated your beef instead of dragging me into a flame.

August 28, 2002 9:05:56 AM

FUGGER, you've really helped me out. I'll go for the Powerleap solution when the processor price drops. All together it'll be around 270 bucks, instead of 210, but I'll deal.

As for me buying a 2.0 Gig Willy, your link didn't work. And because of the conflicting information you, Mr. Crash, posted on this board, I was on the line with Dell support for an hour trying to figure out if the Powerleap would or wouldn't FOR SURE work on my board, despite the what FUGGER and the site itself clearly stated. And what's your beef with FUGGER, anyhow?

FUGGER, I have some quick questions:

When installing the adapter and new processor, is there anything I should know or do? Do I need to set some voltage settings or something? (I read that the adapter automatically does it for me.) Anything I should do to my BIOS? Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.
August 28, 2002 4:05:50 PM

Crashman answers a high number of posts here, and does a good job for the most part. I guess I rub him the wrong way or it is that time of the month for Crashman.

Going for a 512k cache chip brings you right up with technology and RDRAM has plenty of bandwidth for that speed of CPU.

The powerleap will operate at the CPU voltage, it is read from the VID pins on the adapter automaticly.

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2002 4:13:34 PM

Quote:
You will need to consult with dell with your serial number so they can look up the exact Intel OEM board installed in your machine.

Chances are with a 1.4Ghz CPU, you have a socket 423 motherboard.

Lame, very lame. Anyone with any experience knows the answer to that one, telling you to contact Dell just to find out if it's socket 423 when he should have known it was Socket 423 to begin with is kind of stupid.

I quit reading there, didn't even SEE his link (which he added later methinks). In fact, I believe that was the END of his post originally and there WAS no link, nor any mention of an adapter in his original post.

Of course it may also appear stupid for me not to finish reading his post (if the link did exist at the time, which I doubt)

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2002 4:32:13 PM

How little I actually know? Did you even have that link in the original post? I don't even remember those last two sentences being there when I replied, but if they were, I certainly had reason to stop after reading your fist and second. Contact Dell to find out if a P4 1.4 is Socket 423? That's ludicrous!

OH, and thanks for the info on the new Powerleap adapter

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2002 4:34:20 PM

Sorry about the link not working, the companies site is down. Pricewatch list it at $185.

August 28, 2002 6:10:27 PM

Let it go, case closed.

!