Your question

166mhz system bus

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bus
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2002 10:18:06 AM

ok, i admit, i like to hate the evil empire, but i don't like whining babies either. so, here's my comment that i'm sure noone will read:
we've been sitting on the maximum processor bus of 133 for a while now. if AMD makes the bold move and eleases a 166 bus processor, no matter what their little employees try to do to stir the mud slinging, won't that have more to do with their reputation than what people say about them, especially if intel plays catchup for another 6 to 12 months? i guess it would, since your reputation has everything to do with what people think. i'm so close at the moment to going with a p4 board with rdram, but yet again the waiting game settles in. but you know, i waited for the first tbred core, and that was a dissapointment.
basically, my rant is that intel seems to really assume the consumers will buy their stuff no matter what, and that is kinda insulting. and amd, well, they seem to want to be intel. i just want a fast processor for the best price. why can't we all just get along? (insert sarcasm here) i still don't think AMD will die like her tom says, not if they keep releasing faster bus speeds and improved archatectures, even if they fall behind once and a while. but who cares about all that, the best processor ever is the pentium 3. i am not oppinionated

More about : 166mhz system bus

August 27, 2002 10:48:26 AM

the way i see it intel will keep ahead performance wise for a while, but typically at a greater cost to the user. (when dealing with high end power systems).

so in the end... the user wins with cheaper faster better products... and a wide choice.

but one final thing... dont assume that either AMD or Intel care about you. they dont. they are in it for the money.

<b>Due to Customer Complaints, this sig has been witdrawn from public use. Thankyou. :lol:  </b>
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2002 5:30:30 PM

The PIII is a great processor. Look at how the PIII 1.4 keeps up with the XP 1600+, another 1400MHz processor. If they had revised it for a DDR bus, it would have always stayed ahead of the Athlon, clock for clock, but it didn't because of the SDR CPU bus. Anyway, they would have had to do a major revision to get it to 2.0GHz, so they dropped it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
August 27, 2002 5:55:29 PM

if they are able to hit 2.0 ghz with a P3 call me on that day.1.7 maybe 1.8 with major job.

At the end i have speak with a horny lady
August 27, 2002 6:41:50 PM

Quote:
if they are able to hit 2.0 ghz with a P3 call me on that day.1.7 maybe 1.8 with major job.

Able to and will do are two entirely different things. Intel <i>could</i> get it that high. However, they <i>choose</i> not to.

Personally, I think it's kind of silly of Intel, but then I can also see where they want everyone to switch to a P4 eventually, so high P3 pricing and halting P3 development makes a kind of sense.

Still, I think Intel is shooting themselves in the foot doing that. There's a whole market of low power/low heat rack servers to explore. That and the mobile market. The P3 could have done great there.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
August 27, 2002 6:51:08 PM

Quote:
it would have always stayed ahead of the Athlon

I disagree, it WILL get a better IPC, but it certainly will not, and never will kill an Athlon in FPU clock for clock, it's almost impossible. 2 FPUs, and decoders that can't always spit out enough uOPS each time means that it can't.
BTW the 1.4 Tualatin was winning because it was overclocked, had a higher bus and memory.

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2002 7:25:49 PM

I'm actually speaking of the stock Tualatin 512k 1.4, not overclock Celecrap.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2002 7:29:01 PM

PIII-M is still you best bet in a mobile processor, but mostly because such systems are available with better graphics and chipsets than with Athlons. Mobile Athlon chipsets suck. And the P4 produces far too much heat/uses far too much power for true portability.

August 27, 2002 7:31:34 PM

That is what I meant. Only an OCed bus and mem P3-S can beat the AXP clock for clock. But even then the FPU performance will not be matched.

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!
!