1704FPT Error Message At Startup

A friend just bought a 8400 with the 1704FPT flat panel display and
X300 SE video card. When the display is connected to the computer
using DVI, the following error message occurs at startup: "2. Digital
Input Cannot Display This Mode". The system then boots up and the
monitor appears to work properly. This does not occur if the analog
connector is used.

Several people on the Dell forum have reported the same problem.
Someone suggested reinstalling the monitor "driver" from the Dell web
site. We tried this, but no change. Someone else got a response from
Dell that this was the result of the monitor not being able to sync to
the video card signal during startup, and that it is "not a problem".
Even if that is true, the error message prevents us from entering the
BIOS setup program. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,
--wb

i don't know the monitor well, but its optimal setting is 1280x1026 @ 60hz
and i think the problem may be that you have have the analog cable connected
to the monitor though not to the computer. it has both a dvi and a analog
port and is shipped with a cable attached to the analog port. disconnect
the analog cable and then check to see if this error persists when using
just the dvi connection. also, fwiw, here are dells documents for this
display...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/en/controls.htm#warning
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/en/trouble.htm

"wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
>A friend just bought a 8400 with the 1704FPT flat panel display and
> X300 SE video card. When the display is connected to the computer
> using DVI, the following error message occurs at startup: "2. Digital
> Input Cannot Display This Mode". The system then boots up and the
> monitor appears to work properly. This does not occur if the analog
> connector is used.
>
> Several people on the Dell forum have reported the same problem.
> Someone suggested reinstalling the monitor "driver" from the Dell web
> site. We tried this, but no change. Someone else got a response from
> Dell that this was the result of the monitor not being able to sync to
> the video card signal during startup, and that it is "not a problem".
> Even if that is true, the error message prevents us from entering the
> BIOS setup program. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> --wb

Christopher,
Thanks for the feedback and links. The monitor is set to 1280x1024 @
60hz. Funny you should mention having the analog cable connected to
the monitor but not the computer. My friend had, if fact, done just
that when he connected the digital cable. Unfortunately, removing the
analog cable made no difference. I will ask my friend to try some of
the "resets" and adjustments described on the troubleshooting page you
referenced. Can you think of anything else to try?

As an aside, and I'm sure you don't remember this, six years ago when
I bought my first Dell computer (XPS R400), you were kind enough to
send me a personal email with suggestions on how to fix a problem I
was having doing compressed backups with my TR5 tape drive. That was
back in the days when one could safely post their real name and email
address. I appreciate your help now, as I did then.

Thanks again,
--wishbone

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 04:27:54 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>i don't know the monitor well, but its optimal setting is 1280x1026 @ 60hz
>and i think the problem may be that you have have the analog cable connected
>to the monitor though not to the computer. it has both a dvi and a analog
>port and is shipped with a cable attached to the analog port. disconnect
>the analog cable and then check to see if this error persists when using
>just the dvi connection. also, fwiw, here are dells documents for this
>display...
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/en/controls.htm#warning
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/en/trouble.htm
>
>"wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>A friend just bought a 8400 with the 1704FPT flat panel display and
>> X300 SE video card. When the display is connected to the computer
>> using DVI, the following error message occurs at startup: "2. Digital
>> Input Cannot Display This Mode". The system then boots up and the
>> monitor appears to work properly. This does not occur if the analog
>> connector is used.
>>
>> Several people on the Dell forum have reported the same problem.
>> Someone suggested reinstalling the monitor "driver" from the Dell web
>> site. We tried this, but no change. Someone else got a response from
>> Dell that this was the result of the monitor not being able to sync to
>> the video card signal during startup, and that it is "not a problem".
>> Even if that is true, the error message prevents us from entering the
>> BIOS setup program. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --wb

I just received my system last week. I have the same problem. Let me
know when dell comes up with a fix!