Newsreader for palm. any recommendation?

May 29, 2005 2:49:52 AM

Hi, I've tried to use Yanoff but couldn't get it to work same for
TuNews. Is there an easy to use offline newsreader for the palm,
preferably with support for the 480 x 320 screen? I use agent for my
desktop reader and export the messages to a text file and then read
it. Yes I know a lot of messing about. What you recommend?
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:59:24 AM

who@where.com wrote:
> Hi, I've tried to use Yanoff but couldn't get it to work same for
> TuNews. Is there an easy to use offline newsreader for the palm,
> preferably with support for the 480 x 320 screen? I use agent for my
> desktop reader and export the messages to a text file and then read
> it. Yes I know a lot of messing about. What you recommend?
Did you try the "New" Yanoff reader from Gerg Woodstock?
http://www.PalmYanoff.com

--
<o><><><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><><><><><o>
http://www.texbiker.net -- Texas Bicycling Information Central.

May 30, 2005 6:13:47 PM

In article news:s0sh91hevodt85nno0dj9u314jmsdrgqgk@4ax.com,
who@where.com wrote:
>Hi, I've tried to use Yanoff but couldn't get it to work same for
>TuNews. Is there an easy to use offline newsreader for the palm,
>preferably with support for the 480 x 320 screen? I use agent for my
>desktop reader and export the messages to a text file and then read
>it. Yes I know a lot of messing about. What you recommend?

What issues did you run into with yanoff? IMO it is the best, and
most flexible newsgroup & rss reader for the palm.

--
"how much easier the world could be."
June 1, 2005 5:26:48 AM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:13:47 +0000, John Doe wrote:

> What issues did you run into with yanoff? IMO it is the best, and most
> flexible newsgroup & rss reader for the palm.

See my painfully-honest review here:

http://code.gnu-designs.com/yanoff_review/
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:51:35 PM

A bunch of nitpicks from a programmer's point of view it seems to me.
Not a single thing there of note to the “normal” user.

I bought New Yanoff because I felt it was worth the price. You can
always still use GPl (old Yanoff) if you don't want to pay or don't
want the annoyance of the crippled features in Yanoff-.

But that aside, what other choices are there?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:44:51 AM

Am Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:51:35 +0000 schrieb Donald Stidwell:

> (snipped)
> But that aside, what other choices are there?

MsgAgent 0.37b
It works also as mail app for POP3 accounts, but features no attachments.

cheers,

Bernd
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:01:33 PM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:51:35 +0000, Donald Stidwell wrote:

> But that aside, what other choices are there?

I've been happily using Plucker to read Usenet for a year or more now.
It works great for me... I convert the nntp to an rss feed first, and
from there convert that to Plucker with some perl glue I wrote.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:18:35 PM

Well, that's an interesting way of using Plucker! I use Plucker
instead of Avantgo for web sites, but never considered that it could
be used for NNTP.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:14:01 AM

Hello, David A. Desrosiers!
You wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:51:35 +0000, Donald Stidwell wrote:
>
> > But that aside, what other choices are there?
>
> I've been happily using Plucker to read Usenet for a year or
> more now.
> It works great for me...

Cool idea, but what about posting?
I use Plucker daily for web/rss viewing via Sunrise, but settled
on nntp via Yanoff (the "old"/free GPL one) largely because its
queues up posts nicely.

Remove NOSPAM from addr to reply
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:15:50 AM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 22:49:52 GMT, who@where.com wrote:

>Hi, I've tried to use Yanoff but couldn't get it to work same for
>TuNews. Is there an easy to use offline newsreader for the palm,
>preferably with support for the 480 x 320 screen? I use agent for my
>desktop reader and export the messages to a text file and then read
>it. Yes I know a lot of messing about. What you recommend?

Sorry for taking so long to get back but after the recommendations I
had another go. Still can't get it to work though. I'm beginning to
think it is the network connection that is wrong. I use BTBroadband.
Is there something I should know? Has anyone got the settings I should
know?

TIA

Al
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:10:57 PM

who@where.com wrote:
> Hi, I've tried to use Yanoff but couldn't get it to work same for
> TuNews. Is there an easy to use offline newsreader for the palm,
> preferably with support for the 480 x 320 screen? I use agent for my
> desktop reader and export the messages to a text file and then read
> it. Yes I know a lot of messing about. What you recommend?

I recommend you contact support<at>PalmYanoff[dot]com and tell them
exactly what happened. If it turns out to be a genuine bug we will fix
it. If not, we will do everything possible to ammend the documentation
or modify the UI to avoid the problem in the future. How can we help
you or fix the app if you do not bother to contact us? Do us both a
favor and send an email and I assure you that you will be up and
running in no time and New Yanoff will be a more robust app!
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:32:38 AM

> Cool idea, but what about posting?
> I use Plucker daily for web/rss viewing via Sunrise, but settled
> on nntp via Yanoff (the "old"/free GPL one) largely because its
> queues up posts nicely.

Can you elaborate on the way you use Plucker for RSS?
I'm trying to use Plucker (with the python parser on Windows) to
download my Bloglines RSS feed page. I would also like to get my
"Google Groups starred topics" view down each morning at hotsync.

Neither works, because the parser fails to get past the login screens,
even if I'm already logged on on Windows.

Alan
!