FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sick stuff, I saw the other booted into windows P4 @ 4.3Ghz on <A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com" target="_new">www.vr-zone.com</A>

My lil 2.66 is a screamer, will be benching this weekend.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
arrrgh! can ya please make it clickable?
i cant even highlight it on this cruddy nutscrape for unix... :frown:

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek: </b>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hey LHGPooBaa, some of us CAN NOT use the [whatever] that explains the FAQ. I tried some times, but the [whatever] appears instead of the desired effect. Don't know why, maybe a problem with Explorer configuration or windows itself.

Btw, seems that is not the case of the other post.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
2 Things I noticed about that article,

1) Why are they using PC800 RDRAM on a 533 FSB board?

2) Dealing with Liquid Nitrogen with no gloves to protect their hands is a big no no =)

Cooj

<i> I am ignorant no more! </i> :tongue:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Geeze. Sitting a cup of LN2 right on the die. What a way to cool a PC! Now <i>that's</i> extreme cooling. :)

Still, it's pretty cool. (All puns intended.)

The new stepping definately has potential. :)

I wonder how far an Athlon could get on the same cooling...

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

eden

Champion
Yeah, I never thought LN2 cooling was this huge!

Still, I was surprised that the XP1800 could still kill it in raw FPU!
Though you can forget SSE2, it's hopeless for the AXP.

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ahhh the joys of liquid nitrogen!
as for athlons on L2... well i remember seeing the hardocp review another one with the XP2600+ at above 2800mhz with refridgeration cooling at around -50... so i would imagine that the tbred B may be able to break 3ghz with L2.
aint seen it YET though.

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek: </b>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
I wonder when they're coming out with a cooler setup for my Geforce card? I'd like to overclock that to 2 Ghz as well LOL

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Sisoft use legacy binarie vs vector instruction.According to intel SSE2 improve by 7% the FPU performance.

At the end i have speak with a horny lady

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
I was reading up about this particular system, and it seems that it ran stable at 3.9Ghz.

- - -
All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
But the problem is, although we know the limits, seriously how many of us are gonna use LN2 to run our everyday apps?

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
People believe the extreme overclock is a sign of where the core can scale too eventually.....In other words, you may see an air-cooled P4 running at 3.9ghz someday.

This sig runs too hot.

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
I know, but I was very suprised to see it OC <i>that</i> high, and still run stable. That means, after OCing the 2.8 p4 by 40%, it still ran stable, which suprised me. Of course, LN2 is going extreme but it shows how much the p4 can still scale. In other words, the p4 still has ALOT of life left in it.

- - -
All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things!

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Next stage is to build your own clock generator for the FSB..
1Ghz FSB anyone?

And yes I am serious (not about the 1Ghz FSB) but I am working on a 300Mhz clock generator to give me a 300Mhz FSB.

I will post results if I succeed.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Just do this:

Get a P4 1.6A
Overclock to 250MHz FSB (1000MHz QDR FSB)
Get 4GHz :smile:

Easy as that.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

eden

Champion
What does a clock generator look like and how do you make one?

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!

eden

Champion
I think it's pretty obvious the P4 has life in it. The fact is the double pipeline length is technically gonna allow twice the frequency on the same process. The 0.13m P4s are OCing to 4GHZ and still kicking, AMDs are at 2GHZ and can stretch even more. I guess at 5GHZ the 0.13m P4s would really be at their deep end, AXPs at around 2.5GHZ will stop. That's what I think though we've seen 2.66GHZ. I guess the Athlons can still scale, though that is simply because they use 9 layers, pushing it further than it wanted. Intel could do the same and get their 0.13m at above 5GHZ.
Bottom line is, the P4 is scaling as the nature of its architecture intended.

--

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
It is not too difficult to produce, basically they consist of:
A couple of capacitors
A Few resistors
A Crystal to set the frequency preciscely (300Mhz crystals are not too expensive).
The some sort of buffer circuit to make sure the clock continues to oscilate when connected to an external circuit.

I am used to building clocks but I have not ever attempted to build one thins fast, so I will post some info once I do it. Otherwise I will ask for help from my tutor in the electronics dept at my uni.

I can give you book references to build simple clocks.

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
whats so funny, I just need enough cash first incase I desroy my motherboard and Chip in the process.

(Donations accepted)

who are you? i was replying to someone else.

"I wonder when they're coming out with a cooler setup for my Geforce card? I'd like to overclock that to 2 Ghz as well LOL"

thats what i was laughing at. i wasn't even replying to you ????

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>