Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Two quick questions

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 17, 2005 7:03:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

1) Can you turn undead while grappled? The rules aren't clear. The
turn rule only says you must "present" your holy symbol; the grappling
rule doesn't include turning on either of the two lists (of things you
/can/ do while grappled, and things you /can't/.)

2) Does the 4th level _Freedom of Movement_ spell protect you from
non-magical paralysis, such as that caused by a carrion crawler?

The description says: "This spell enables you or a creature you touch
to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under
the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as
paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web." So, magic is covered; and the
/even/ language suggests that nonmagical effects are too. On the other
hand, that opens the door to saying it allows free movement even if a
character is, say, unconscious due to subdual damage, or shackled by
chains to a wall.

Thanks in advance,


Waldo

More about : quick questions

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:35:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 17 Jul 2005 15:03:08 -0700, "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>1) Can you turn undead while grappled? The rules aren't clear. The
>turn rule only says you must "present" your holy symbol; the grappling
>rule doesn't include turning on either of the two lists (of things you
>/can/ do while grappled, and things you /can't/.)

Ordinarily I'd expect that being grappled would prevent such a gesture
because you don't have your arms free.

>
>2) Does the 4th level _Freedom of Movement_ spell protect you from
>non-magical paralysis, such as that caused by a carrion crawler?

It will let you ignore the non-magical restraint of water, so sure,
why not?

>
>The description says: "This spell enables you or a creature you touch
>to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under
>the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as
>paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web." So, magic is covered; and the
>/even/ language suggests that nonmagical effects are too. On the other
>hand, that opens the door to saying it allows free movement even if a
>character is, say, unconscious due to subdual damage,

Such a character is not restrained. He merely lacks the inclination
to move for some reason.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:43:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 17 Jul 2005 15:03:08 -0700, "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>1) Can you turn undead while grappled? The rules aren't clear. The
>turn rule only says you must "present" your holy symbol; the grappling
>rule doesn't include turning on either of the two lists (of things you
>/can/ do while grappled, and things you /can't/.)

I'd rule yes. You grab your holy symbol, stuff it in the vampire's
face, and scream BEGONE!


>2) Does the 4th level _Freedom of Movement_ spell protect you from
>non-magical paralysis, such as that caused by a carrion crawler?

Nope, because then you're ruling, effectively, that Freedom of
Movement is a panacea against any paralysis-inducing (or even
Dex-reducing) poison.

Nailed by a ghoul? No problem! FoM will permit you to fight and run.

Engulfed by a gelatinous cube? Ignore it! FoM will get you through
and out the other side! (Note, personal results may vary, if your
flesh gets stripped away by an acid vacuole.)


>The description says: "This spell enables you or a creature you touch
>to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under
>the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as
>paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web." So, magic is covered; and the
>/even/ language suggests that nonmagical effects are too. On the other
>hand, that opens the door to saying it allows free movement even if a
>character is, say, unconscious due to subdual damage, or shackled by
>chains to a wall.

For me, FoM allows unrestricted movement in *environments* which would
normally impede movement, and also provides temporary immunity to
movement-impeding spells, such as paralysis, et cetera.

It could be argued that under FoM you can plough right through a
gelatinous cube, unaffected by the density of the material you're
traversing. I would, in fact, allow this argument. What I *won't*
allow is the FoM to provide immunity to the paralytic slime of the
gelatinous cube. However, should a character make his save, or have
active some spell or potion that provides immunity, then he would be
able to pass through the cube at a dead run, taking only one attack on
the way through.
Related resources
July 19, 2005 8:17:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Alien mind control rays made David Johnston <rgorman@telusplanet.net> write:
> On 17 Jul 2005 15:03:08 -0700, "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > 1) Can you turn undead while grappled? The rules aren't clear. The
> > turn rule only says you must "present" your holy symbol; the grappling
> > rule doesn't include turning on either of the two lists (of things you
> > /can/ do while grappled, and things you /can't/.)
>
> Ordinarily I'd expect that being grappled would prevent such a gesture
> because you don't have your arms free.

with a successful grapple check, you can attack with a light weapon.
i don't see why you couldn't present your holy symbol and turn instead.

> > hand, that opens the door to saying it allows free movement even if a
> > character is, say, unconscious due to subdual damage,

free to != will to.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
// \ X-Windows: The defacto sub-standard.
// \_\ -- Dude from DPAK
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:18:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Werebat wrote:
> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
>
> I dunno... Doesn't Kord have a two-handed holy symbol? :^)

So, that's what you kids are calling it these days...
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:44:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 19 Jul 2005 05:18:06 -0700, "decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> scribed
into the ether:

>
>
>Werebat wrote:
>> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
>>
>> I dunno... Doesn't Kord have a two-handed holy symbol? :^)
>
>So, that's what you kids are calling it these days...

Hey, it makes magical things happen.
!