efript

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Ok i have dos preguntas.....

1. What will the price of the XP 1800 be after Sept.1?

2. Im looking to build a new comp should i even consider buying a floppy and modem (im on dsl here)?

eden

Champion
1)Same as it always was! September 1 is just another day in the AthlonXP 1800's life!
2) Well I am frugal so I stick to floppies nevertheless. My dad still uses them to transfer some AutoCAD files from his laptop to my comp to print, or docs.
Modem? Hmm, depends really, is your DSL ISP reliable? I had only once a problem but it was nothing big. We get 10 modem 56K access hours if my dad were to use his laptop for internet somewhere away from the house, he can dial to our DSL. To me I am frugal so I get the floppy and modem JUST IN CASE!

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
1)There might be a price drop in the processor if AMD decides to release the tbred b on that day.
2)If you have no use for a floppy, why buy one? Does at least one of your computers have a modem. If so, you don't need one, unless you positively have to be online 24/7.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I keep a Floppy in my system for doing BIOS updates, transfering small files to other systems, and running hard drive utilities. I haven't bought one in many years, I just keep the ones out of old systems I throw away.

My modem has been used twice in the last year. It's earning it's keep as a backup device for when my services are down.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Yep, it happens to me when I build my new system 8 months ago, a floppy seems useless until I realise there are few but important things to have it in your PC. Also I still have docs, some DOS drivers, etc. in disquette. I know, I should put all in a CD and forget ... I'll do it some of these days ...

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1) That depends on how far after September 1st. ;)
2a) Considering the rather low price of floppies, why not? They're still useful for flashing and for data tranfers. I take one to work with me every day to write notes and stuff down on in text files for me to think about when I get home. Heh heh.
2b) There will always be a place for a modem in my PCs. Of course, I don't have broadband yet. Heh heh. ;) Seriously though, you can get a PCI modem pretty darn cheap. So unless you're filling all of your PCI slots with other stuff, it's good for emergencies or travel. (Keeping around old AOL coasters ... I mean CDs are useful for that purpose as well.) If you have no space, you could even get a USB modem. (Heck, I've even got a serial port 9600 modem sitting around somewhere in my computer graveyard. Heh heh.)

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
ditch the floppy and pick up an LS120 drive. It's IDE so the transfer rate is much faster. Only problem is you'll have a hard time finding one.

<b>Agent</b> <b><font color=green>81</b></font color=green> :cool: