MSI GT780DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonxflare

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums and have been trying to find reviews on the M.S.I. GT780DX Laptop. I was planning on purchasing it from BTOtech

http://www.btotech.com/_e/17_Custom_Laptops/product/gt780dx/M_S_I_GT780DX_Notebook_New.htm

But was just curious if anyone here on the forums have had experience with this laptop yet, and if $1549 with $50 mail in rebate seems like a good deal for this particular laptop.

Currently the games that i play are the following:

Realm of the Titans
WOW
League of Legends
Mass Effect 2
Crysis 2
CIV 5

I am sure this laptop will run these games fine, but was curious how long this laptop will stay "great". The reason i am worried is because the last time i purchase a laptop over $1600 was back in 2004 from Alienware.... and within 2-3 years it was completely obsolete.

So far ive been some bench marks on this laptop but havent seem many reviews from actual users on how they liked it. I also read that since its the new GTX 570m, some people are saying there arent drivers for it? Is this true? Any help would be great!

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to the forums ! :)
GT780 is one of the best gaming laptops you can buy in the $1500 price range.As for drivers,check the Nvidia website.
I've heard great things from xoticpc(I don't know anything about Btotech),so I recommend xoticpc

Hi,
As far as GTX570, I'm sure nVidia didn't release a gpu without developing the drivers for it.

One thing I've got to say about btotech is for a company that has been around from 2002 as they claim, strangely they've had to change name several times and aren't BBB accredited. Xoticpc is accredited, plus I've seen good feedback from people on these forums who've purchased from them (myself included).

Hawkram

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
hi, did you receive your laptop?, can you rate the computer, i am planning to buy this laptop but not decided yet, is the building quality very good, how is the screen quality?, etc. apologize my english but i am from Ecuador but i am very interested to buy it. Thank you very much

dragonxflare

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hey Hawk,

Yes, i recently received the laptop, and i am quite pleased with it. 3dmark tested around 13.5k which is pretty amazing if you ask me. The screen qualify is fantastic, i really enjoy the matte screen vs. the glossy one, but in my opinion, its a personal preference.

As far as the build qualify goes, I feel that it is pretty solid. Depending on your play / typing style, the Steelseries keyboard not might be for everyone, but i like it alot.

The stock hard drive it came with was lowing the computers rating down, so i replaced it with a 120gb 510 intel SSD, and the speed boost is just amazing. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Hawkram

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi dragonflare,

Thank you for your reply, you were very helpful with you response, I decided and just ordered the laptop today, I bought the model GT780DX 406US from amazon, and following your advice, I bought also a SSD drive crucial m4 128 gb and a blu ray writer panasonic UJ240 internal Combo drive to change the stock multidrive combo, because I think is a shame that with the specs of this laptop you can not watch bluray movies with the stock hardware (I hope that I can change the hardware by myself).
how I said before I live in Ecuador and I have a relative in the US who is coming to my country in december and shes is going to bring it here to me (I am very impatient and I am expecting having no problems with the laptop- I will die if it does not work!!!!!), for this reason I asked you about the quality of the laptop.
Thanks again for the help, I will post again when I get the computer with my impressions.
Greetings from Quito Ecuador, to this great community.

Status
Not open for further replies.