Help! Cooling solution for Tbird 1.4

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Right now I'm using the stock "cooler" which is anything but cool. It runs at 52 degrees C idle. I'd like to improve this, but I want something that is quiet as well. I'm looking to spend <$40.00 US, and I want a solution that clips on, not bolts to the MB. Any ideaS

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Thermaltake Volcano 7 or 7+. The 7 is cheeper and has a tempurature sensitive fan, the 7+ has a manualy adjustable fan and probably runs a bit cooler. Both are under $30.

If ignorance is bliss, then why is everyone so miserable?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I wish NoiseControl would make a new cooler. The Silverado was a great concept, but is too outdated these days.

Oh well.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I looked up the Volcano 9 on Thermaltakes website. They had a cooling solution guide, but they did not recommend anything that they made for a Tbird 1.4 Are they just playing it safe? Will that hs fan combo work just fine? I noticed that they had no recommendations for anything higher than a 2.1 P4 either.

I'm running a 1.33 T-bird with a Volcano 7+ and my idle is 50c @ and my case temp is around 30c @ medium fan setting.
I also have 3 thermaltake 80mm fans in my tower.
Room temperature is also very important on cpu temp. and how well your case is ventilated for air.
And the Volcano 9 is not better than the 7+ its like the Volcano 7 with copper insert and not all copper base like the 7+.

The only thing the volcano 9 has over previous models is it pushes more CFM @ its highest speed.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like the 7+ is still better then.

Still, I wish someone would use a silver base with copper fins instead of copper base with aluminum fins...

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
50 degrees!?! That's a 20 degree differential between you case and CPU temp @ idle. THat's about what I have now. I would hate to upgrade to the Volcano from stock and not see any changes. hmmm.... now I really don't know what to do. When you changed your heatsink to the volcano did you notice any difference in noise. The high pitched whine of my OEM cooler is the biggest reason why I want to change. I just figured that I would get a more efficient heatsink while I was at it.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
OK...

The 7 is a blue Aluminum Heatsink with a copper base/bottom........fan spins up to 5000RPM max when the Diode is at like 40 degress celcious.......as for the Volcano 7+...its spins up to 5100RPM max......and the heatsink is ALL COPPER......and theres 3 fan speeds...low, medium and FULL......at full...its cools EXACTLY the same as a Swiftech MCX462.........0.52C/W....i read a huge Cooler Roundup.......the MCX462 and the Volcano 7+ tied for 2nd best cooler out there.....that was like.......2 weeks ago i read it....ill try and find the link again............therefore i recomend the Volcano 7+.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>