MN-510 does not recognize encryption key

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Encryption
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 21, 2005 1:00:36 AM

I'm trying to connect my MN-510 adapter to a wireless
base station and during set up the adapter doesn't seem
to recognize the WEP (encryption key). My new PC, which
I'm trying to connect to the network, is an MPC with
Windows XP. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

More about : 510 recognize encryption key

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:16:35 AM

Encountering same problem. Insists on a WEP key and won't
accept any I try to make. Doing this with old and new
computers using the MN-500 base station with the new HP
attached via Ethernet cable on Port 1 and MN-510 USB for
the old Compaq. Both OS's are XP Home.

I've tried setting up MN-500 with and without WEP,
neither gets a connection but sees the wireless access
point.

Only thing I'm unsure of is the way the installation
requires the update to be installed. Did that after
getting through with the initial setup, on both machines.

Gave up on it for now and put a cable between them and
was sharing files immediately, otherwise I'd have thought
there was a problem with the networking side.

Oh, and the new computer does hook up fine and get to the
Internet and all, just not getting this MN-510 USB thing
to work right. Have reset the base station and firmware
updates seem to have been done okay.

Sure hope there is an answer out there, I just haven't
found it yet.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:43:33 AM

Remove MSBN. The built-in wireless configurator in XP
works great with this product. I had the same problem
with my USB MN-510....Uninstalled MSBN.....used the
configurator in control panel....and was working within 2
min....hope this helps!!
January 22, 2005 3:37:29 PM

>Remove MSBN. The built-in wireless configurator in XP
>works great with this product. I had the same problem
>with my USB MN-510....Uninstalled MSBN.....used the
>configurator in control panel....and was working within
2
>min....hope this helps!!

You can be sure I'll give that a try alright. Hadn't
thought to do that. If it worked for you I don't see why
it shouldn't for anyone else.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 3:15:07 AM

Well, been through everything possible now over the phone
after calling the 800 number for help. The MN-500 simply
doesn't get any connection at all, only shows there's a
wireless network available.
We looked at the Wireless Zero Configurator in Services,
which I didn't know existed before. Stopped and Started
it again. Checked ipconfig for any addressing and all it
ever says is Media State......: Media disconnected.
I gave up, it goes back to the store.

What I'll try next is putting a Dell TrueMobile 1180 USB
wireless adapter I also have on there to see if it'll
connect with the MS MN-500 Base Station, which seems okay
itself, just not 100% positive.

If that works right then it might confirm the MN-510 USB
adapter is defective in some way, whether a software
driver issue or not.

Wish the rest of you out there better luck.

!