Sign in with
Your question

Low reliability for 0.13 micron CPU's?

Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2002 7:42:15 PM

According to <A HREF="http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Aug/bch2002082701..." target="_new"> this link</A>, alot of problems that have been associated with moving to the 0.13 process is due to some specific problem involving the copper damascene process. It appears that certian CPU's using this process start to fail after several hundred hours of use. The interesting thing is, I have never seen any real life examples yet, of this problem. It seems so far, to not affect XP's, Tbred's or P4's. The only real life example may be TSMC, but it's still uncertain as to whether they were having this specific problem.

- - -
All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things!
August 30, 2002 10:29:14 PM

Well, the AXP I'm gettting has a 3 year warrenty :) , not sure whether they are manufacturing the 1800+ with 0.13, I know they were going to, find out when it comes!
August 31, 2002 1:33:32 AM

Dont be so sure about that

At the end i have speak with a horny lady
Related resources
August 31, 2002 3:29:41 AM

I'm not, it's just an interesting link, so I posted it. In fact, I'm not worried at all. Intel probably never had this problem, and if they did, it was solved quickly. Don't know about AMD though.

- - -
August 31, 2002 3:40:58 AM

actualie i was saying that for NW core when they get over 1.75 volt the L2 dont last long.This information is still to be prove.

AMD have major trouble with 0.13 node we all know that.At this rate intel will allwayse have a full micron process advance over all the industry only IBM can follow.

At the end i have speak with a horny lady
August 31, 2002 3:49:35 AM

Ohh, didn't realize you were talking about OCing the NW core. Ya, I know, after 1.75, LN2 isn't as effective as it should be.

- - -
August 31, 2002 4:49:40 AM

I believe that applies to the graphics card industry. nVidia tried to switch to it for their gf 5, but only had about a 15% or so yield. So nVidia has to now spend millions to convert their .13 factories back to .15.

Knowledge is the key to understanding
August 31, 2002 2:58:34 PM

I don't think they're going back to .15u??...

EDIT: BTW, nVidia does not have their own fabs. They're using TSMC. They're beginning to switch to .13u and yes the yeilds have not been good, but why would they have to pay to go back to .15?

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chuck232 on 08/31/02 11:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 31, 2002 3:34:48 PM

Nvidia didn't have any problems. It was TSMC that had problems. And Nvidia is definitely not going back to 0.15. They need 0.13 so they can clock the NV30 at a high speed.

- - -
!