Sign in with
Your question

Who really Cares about this AMD vs Intel Thing!

Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2002 8:38:18 PM

I think to many people these days are getting carried away with this [-peep-]. Like comeon most peoples purchases are made by cost being the major factor since not everyone is rich and can afford to by the latest and greatest! We need both Intel and AMD to survive in this business. If either company was our only choice we'd be paying out of out asses for processors. And I know some people will say intel already charges alot for there processors. But don't be fooled AMD would do the same thing if they were in that position. Don't forget they are both companies trying to make money.

As for the Fanboyism as its called. The fact that one person likes to stick to one processor is up to them. There could be numerous reason like good experiences with that cpu, or positive feedback from family or friends. The fact they prefer to stick to a brand is there choice and not anyone elses. Are you buying that processor for them no, so just STFU with the fanboyism crap. Who are you to call someone a fanboy cause they prefer a certain brand. But also cause you choose to stick to a certain brand doesn't mean you should force your opinons on others. A good point for newbies entering this forum. No matter what you read in here always make a decision based on research and proper feed back and personal experiences.

In the end its up to the consumer to make smart purchases on their needs and wants. Any business will try to sell you a product you don't need to make a buck thats just the way the world works. Its up to you to educate yourself and be informed.

Just my opinon on all the arguments and sillyness going on in these forums. Sometimes I think some of the people in here are 10 years old and have nothing better to do with there time then pick on others.

You should be here to help people with there problems and not try to force your opinons on them, I thought that was the point of a forum.

Just my rant for today have a good day all.

More about : cares amd intel thing

August 30, 2002 8:48:41 PM

i think its the same thing as rooting for your fav sports team. the team they are playing against will always be worse than your team, if your team didnt win, the other team is the devil and has to have cheated. i confess, i used to be an intel fan boy, i always saw amd as the little rat scraping for some cheese, they didnt matter at all.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
August 30, 2002 9:00:11 PM

Quote:
Who really Cares about this AMD vs Intel Thing!

Almost every pc freak cares about AMD vs. Intel Thing.

People are allowed to argue here. There's no fun in just helping people. It would get a boaring forum if it allowed no arguments. In fact, fair argument about any topic is good. Sometimes there may be flames. But this should be ignored.

MANY PEOPLE COME HERE TO EXCHANGE THEIR VIEWS AND THEY DO NOT ONLY DO IT. THEY ALSO HELP PEOPLE WHO NEED HELP. AND NOBODY KNOWS EVEREYTHING. MANY PEOPLE GAIN THEIR KNOWLEDGE BY ARGUING
Related resources
August 30, 2002 9:23:57 PM

I made up a computer the other day costing £400. It was an AXP 1800+ with a geforcee ti4200 and 256mb PC2100 ram, case/dvd/sound/lan card + everything else you'd expect. The fact is for the same price I couldn't get the same performance from a P4 system. A 1.8 gig p4, at nearly double the price would have made me nead to downgrade the geforce ti 4200 to something like a very cheap kyro 2 or xabre card and according to most benchmarks the 1.8 p4 isn't as fast as an AXP 1800+. Thats not even taking into account the fact a p4 would run terrible on PC2100 memory so more expensive memory would need to be bought aswell as p4 motherboards genereally being more expensive, infact, I don't think you could even meet £400.

So in my case, the athlon was very much the better cpu, however, if you are in a different situation the p4 may be better.
August 30, 2002 9:30:36 PM

I do care with some exception.

At the end i have speak with a horny lady
August 30, 2002 9:39:52 PM

There is a difference from debating a topic to just a flat out arguement. There is alot more to be learned from senisble, intelligent debate. Than a heated and hard headed arguement. I'm more or less refering to the way people talk to each other on this forum.

Less brand loyalty and more objectivity!

And putting alittle bit of mutual respect in there wouldn't hurt also.
August 30, 2002 9:49:36 PM

Hmm..., I think this is going to be a marathon thread.

Quote:
There is alot more to be learned from senisble, intelligent debate. Than a heated and hard headed arguement.

Sometimes its not bad to have hot chocolate instead of ice cold beverage.
August 30, 2002 9:56:53 PM

I agree with the first guy.

I'll buy whichever offers me better price for performance. I don't need a 2.6G cpu. I currently run a 1.3 and it's fine for me :)  I don't need super fast processing. My past 3 processors have been AMD and I've had perfectly fine experiences with them and their prices suit me perfectly. I don't have any reason to switch. However, if when I do my next upgrade Intel is offering me better for what I want I'll by theirs. The whole Intel-AMD thing is just petty.

AMD Is An Anagram Of MAD, Intel Is An Anagram Of INLET, Cyrix...Ah Who Cares?
August 30, 2002 10:46:35 PM

I really don't mind about who is best, what the past experiences of a certain company are etc.

We are in the here and now, evaluate the two for a few seconds before you buy, once you buy it is in the past.

The continuous arguement of intel Vs AMD is like my pokemon is better than your pokemon. No one offers valued opinions when they argue, they repeat the same old rubbish for ages and the posts become 10 or 20 pages long.

Now the debates I can stand, this is when people even when they like one more than another still have an open mind. These people actually listen to and respect the opinions of those posting.

The one thing I can't stand is the insults that are aimed at one another, the personal insults. No-one has a right to say someones opinion is wrong and no-one has a right to insult anyone else on these boards, you don't actually know anyone on these boards (unless you really do know them, ie a friend etc).

Long post, lots to say, and still you are waiting for me to say it. :-P
August 30, 2002 11:21:57 PM

yeah... I feel the same way. Personal insults to me or to any one else is not tolerated here. We are all here to learn, and obtain opinions about which is best and why. If someone of us has a stupid question or a stupid answer, there's no need to insult, or make that person feel bad for doing so. Ignore it or correct that person in a respectable fashion (this is to you also grassapa).

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!
August 31, 2002 5:10:02 AM

I guess there are a few reasons for fanboys. Anyone building systems with the k6-300 (or was it 350) ended up hating AMD because of all the problems with it (and add in that a majority of available mobos where less than stellar). The people who started after the k7 release, especially after the magic of 1Ghz, probably built AMD systems as they where the fastest AND cheapest.It wasn't really until the Athlon release that AMD became a viable alternative for enthusiasts.

Some have not forgiven the ID numbers of p3, or the initial poor performance of the p4, and some people remember how much slower the k6-500 was compared to intel's 500.

It's mostly trolling or 'team siding' that makes the debates so silly. While both Matisaro and Raystonn are generally very nice and helpful, it shines through that they work (or used to work) in or closely with the two companies.

Me, I just like the processor that gives the best performance for the money alotted. The last computers I built were Athlon 1.4, AXP 1700, p4 1.6a, p4 1.8a, and lastly two 800mhz duron as they were 20 bucks at fry's.

I must admit that the two p4s would never have been built if it wasn't for the intel preachers out there. I do appreciate the fact that some of these people go out of their way to find the slightest performance edge.

Lastly, I think that we need both companies, and I would like to see a third so competition could get even fiercer. I, for one, am very happy that the days of $1000+ processors are gone and hope they never come back.

Dev

Just because people are following me does not mean I'm paranoid!
August 31, 2002 5:39:24 AM

"I really don't mind about who is best, what the past experiences of a certain company are etc.

We are in the here and now, evaluate the two for a few seconds before you buy, once you buy it is in the past.

The continuous arguement of intel Vs AMD is like my pokemon is better than your pokemon. No one offers valued opinions when they argue, they repeat the same old rubbish for ages and the posts become 10 or 20 pages long.

Now the debates I can stand, this is when people even when they like one more than another still have an open mind. These people actually listen to and respect the opinions of those posting.

The one thing I can't stand is the insults that are aimed at one another, the personal insults. No-one has a right to say someones opinion is wrong and no-one has a right to insult anyone else on these boards, you don't actually know anyone on these boards (unless you really do know them, ie a friend etc).

Long post, lots to say, and still you are waiting for me to say it. :-P"

I was just going to post the same thing, but it appears as though you beat me to it. :) 

Knowledge is the key to understanding
August 31, 2002 4:36:39 PM

I was a little confused until i read the llast line in your post, i thought it looked familiar.
:-P

BTW I am above the age of pokemon etc, just the first thing that came to mind.....
!