C610 modem - internal PCTEL not found by PnP

We have a Dell C610 laptop.
Everything has been fine... we think :)
The modem is not usually used -
but was tested & working several months ago.
This is the tiny PCTEL internal modem
that fits into the area next to the memory.
Well - we just noticed that it basically went away....
I mean, it is not recognized as existing by System / Hardware
and does not appear to be found by PnP.
I took it out, put it back in - nothing -
Re-installed the driver - the Dell R53654 download -
still nothing....
Later, I'll try and measure the voltage on the mini power plug.
Any other ideas ???
3 answers Last reply
More about c610 modem internal pctel found

    Phil Schuman wrote:
    > We have a Dell C610 laptop.
    > Everything has been fine... we think :)
    > The modem is not usually used -
    > but was tested & working several months ago.
    > This is the tiny PCTEL internal modem
    > that fits into the area next to the memory.
    > Well - we just noticed that it basically went away....
    > I mean, it is not recognized as existing by System / Hardware
    > and does not appear to be found by PnP.
    > I took it out, put it back in - nothing -
    > Re-installed the driver - the Dell R53654 download -
    > still nothing....
    > Later, I'll try and measure the voltage on the mini power plug.
    > Any other ideas ???

    BIOS setting to enable? Disabled in Device Manager?

    > Phil Schuman wrote:
    > > We have a Dell C610 laptop.
    > > Everything has been fine... we think :)
    > > The modem is not usually used -
    > > but was tested & working several months ago.
    > > This is the tiny PCTEL internal modem
    > > that fits into the area next to the memory.
    > > Well - we just noticed that it basically went away....
    > > I mean, it is not recognized as existing by System / Hardware
    > > and does not appear to be found by PnP.
    > > I took it out, put it back in - nothing -
    > > Re-installed the driver - the Dell R53654 download -
    > > still nothing....
    > > Later, I'll try and measure the voltage on the mini power plug.
    > > Any other ideas ???
    >
    > BIOS setting to enable? Disabled in Device Manager?

    I don't see anything listed in the BIOS - version A16 -
    and since there is no "modem" section listed in Device Manager, that's
    moot -
    Makes me think somehow it went dead - got another coming - will try that
    one -

    Phil Schuman wrote:
    >> Phil Schuman wrote:
    >>> We have a Dell C610 laptop.
    >>> Everything has been fine... we think :)
    >>> The modem is not usually used -
    >>> but was tested & working several months ago.
    >>> This is the tiny PCTEL internal modem
    >>> that fits into the area next to the memory.
    >>> Well - we just noticed that it basically went away....
    >>> I mean, it is not recognized as existing by System / Hardware
    >>> and does not appear to be found by PnP.
    >>> I took it out, put it back in - nothing -
    >>> Re-installed the driver - the Dell R53654 download -
    >>> still nothing....
    >>> Later, I'll try and measure the voltage on the mini power plug.
    >>> Any other ideas ???
    >>
    >> BIOS setting to enable? Disabled in Device Manager?

    > I don't see anything listed in the BIOS - version A16 -
    > and since there is no "modem" section listed in Device Manager, that's
    > moot -
    > Makes me think somehow it went dead - got another coming - will try
    > that one -

    If there is nothing in device manager, it is likely failed.

Dell Modem Computers