Sign in with
Your question

>>>XP Stock Cooler

Last response: in CPUs
August 31, 2002 1:03:50 PM

Is the stock cooler that comes with Athlon XP 1600+ good?
I don't plan to overclock my CPU...
Do anyone knows where I can find a review test or specifications of this cooler?

More about : stock cooler

August 31, 2002 1:53:26 PM

If you're not planning any overclocking, the stock cooler will effectively fulfill the cooling needs of the CPU.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"
August 31, 2002 2:49:20 PM

Of course the stock cooler is good.
Why would they sell it if it isn't good?

<b>think <font color=red>logic</font color=red> dude</b>

If I buy the boxed version of the "hammer", will I get a box of nails for free??
Related resources
August 31, 2002 3:38:41 PM

the stock cooler is "okay". It doesn't cool as good as it <i>should</i>, but it's OK. If you want your CPU at a cooler temp, I recommend you get a better one. BTW, what temp are you running at?

- - -
All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things!
August 31, 2002 3:46:58 PM

I haven't bought the CPU yet... That's why I am asking!
Which Cooler do u recommend?
August 31, 2002 3:57:09 PM

Thermaltake's Volcano 7,Volcano 7+ or Volcano 9.
August 31, 2002 5:12:06 PM

If you're not overclocking, don't bother spending the extra money to cool your CPU an extra 3 degrees. It's pointless. The stock cooler'll get the job done easily.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 31, 2002 9:54:24 PM

Quote:
the stock cooler is "okay". It doesn't cool as good as it should, but it's OK. If you want your CPU at a cooler temp, I recommend you get a better one. BTW, what temp are you running at?

What are you smoking, the temp the stock cooler runs chips at is fine, no lock up=fine, are you trying to say that there is a real benifit to non overclockers to run your chip@40c instead of 45c? Cause if you are were gonna be debating right now.

I will say it once more for everyone, IF YOU DONT OVERCLOCK USE THE STOCK@!

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
August 31, 2002 10:19:29 PM

Quote:
IF YOU DONT OVERCLOCK USE THE STOCK@!

Yup, and that rhymes too... you should copyright that... :tongue: just like:

Overclock - Intel
Stock - AMD

Maybe that'll change with t-bred B...

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
September 1, 2002 1:21:31 PM

OK, granted the stock is good for non-overclockerz. What about the noise? Is the Volcano 9 alot quieter than the stock. Given the choice, if its significantly quieter, I may choose to get 3rd party HSF.

goldarn the pusherman
September 1, 2002 10:55:18 PM

OK... I will use stock cooler... Only the Athlon XP boxed comes with the cooler?
September 1, 2002 11:53:06 PM

all types of cpus come with stock coolers. they also come without them, usually a few bucks cheaper.

and i just wanted to add...

[sarcasm]
DONT USE THE STOCK COOLER!!! ITS TERRIBLE!!! YOUR CPU WILL SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES, BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN AND SCORTCH THE FAMILY DOG/CAT!!! Thats why they sell them.
[/sarcasm]

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek:  </b>
September 2, 2002 9:47:18 AM

check the sig, live it love it learn it.

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:
September 2, 2002 9:52:43 AM

"all types of cpus come with stock coolers. they also come without them, usually a few bucks cheaper.

and i just wanted to add...

[sarcasm]
DONT USE THE STOCK COOLER!!! ITS TERRIBLE!!! YOUR CPU WILL SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES, BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN AND SCORTCH THE FAMILY DOG/CAT!!! Thats why they sell them.
[/sarcasm]"

LOL

"Just the facts ma'am"
September 2, 2002 10:45:07 AM

A stock cooler is fine for a 'stock system'. We who upgrade our coolers do so because we overclock and add heat to our systems and need better cooling. I upgraded my HSF to a better one, they undervolted .5 my core to reach a better temp with no stability loss. Heat is seldom an issue since P4's have throttling to maintain a proper temp(ie is slows itself down to reduce temp if need be) and AMD boards normally have a system shutdown software to stop the system in case of an overheat. You need to hit 85C(185F) to kill an AMD chip. Unless your HS Fan dies, you'll be hard pressed to get it to that temp.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:
September 2, 2002 12:01:38 PM

its 95 degreees celcious to kill an AMD chip...at 85 the boards that have soem kidn of thermal protection feature for the AXP's and Morgan Durons shut down............ =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
September 2, 2002 7:33:47 PM

If your CPU runs any higher than 45 C, than the component life of the CPU is reduced. I would recommend to replace the stock cooler if it lowers your temperature to the mid-30's. Heck, I would buy replace my stock cooler, if a better cooler could lower it to the mid-30's (celsius). The ideal temperature for your CPU is at max, 45 C. If your CPU runs at 45 at boot up, then goes to 50 C or higher on full load, then it's bad because component life is reduced. Also, at 60 C and higher, it becomes dangerous for the CPU because you start to get lockups, and other problems. Matisaro, with your intellect, you should already know by now that the lower the temperature of a CPU, the better, because it runs more optimally. Ask anyone who's worked with overclocking CPU's for several years (or worked with alot of CPU's in general), and they'll tell you that it's <b>ideal</b> to have your CPU temperature as low as possible. So running your Athlon at 60 C is not ok. Just so you know, on my computer, all my hardware is running at stock speed, yet I have done some really crazy software optimizations which results in me having a "super-stable rock-solid speed demon" of a computer (which BTW, is running Win98SE) :tongue: . That just goes to show you Mat, you don't necessarily <b><i>need</b></i> WinXP. And also, my current CPU (a P3 1ghz coppermine) runs at 25 C at boot up, and 30 C at full load <b>on a stock air cooler</b> :tongue: . My temperatures are low enough for me to have no need to replace my stock cooler.

Also, alot of people are talking about maximum operational temperatures, and saying all this stuff about Athlons being able to run at 95 C, and stuff like that. Well, that might be the max operational temperature, but have YOU ever ran a CPU at that temperature? No, didn't think so. At 95 C, you'd have no need to heat your room in the winter, and add to the fact that would <b>dramatically</b> lower the life expectancy of the chip down to less than a year. Ohh, and let's not forget that it would be next to impossible to try to run any software on a system with that kind of CPU, considering the countless lock-ups, blue-screens, and weird error messages you would get. So, in conclusion, maximum "operational" temperatures don't matter much to the end-user. I mean, you wouldn't be able to use your computer, even though the CPU would physically be able to handle the temperature. FYI, if you look at northwood's white papers, it states that the max operating temperature for NW is about 66 C. Now, that's a much more "realistic" number, since you won't experience "countless" lockups, and your computer will still be usable. Of course, P4 NW's start to throttle well before 66 C. According to imgod2u, they start throttling at 55 C.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>
September 3, 2002 10:01:54 AM

Quote:
If your CPU runs any higher than 45 C, than the component life of the CPU is reduced.

By 1 week out of 10 years? You dont know what your talking about and running a system at a temp which does not cause lockups will not realistically shorten the cpus lifespan!

Quote:
Heck, I would buy replace my stock cooler, if a better cooler could lower it to the mid-30's (celsius).

So you enjoy wasting money then?

Quote:
Also, at 60 C and higher, it becomes dangerous for the CPU because you start to get lockups, and other problems.

When you have a lockup, you have officially entered the too hot region, many people on this very forum run their athlons@65c+ with NO ill side effects and no lockups, thus blowing a giant hole in your theory.

Quote:
Matisaro, with your intellect, you should already know by now that the lower the temperature of a CPU, the better, because it runs more optimally.

An athlon or any chip which runs@65C and dosent lockup will run just as fast if you cooled it to 45C, there is NO performance difference, and the lifespan difference is NEGLIGABLE! If you wanna buy a 50 dollar heatsink so your cpu dies 6 months later in 10 years thats your money to waste, advocating wasting money to others is STUPID.

Quote:
Ask anyone who's worked with overclocking CPU's for several years (or worked with alot of CPU's in general), and they'll tell you that it's ideal to have your CPU temperature as low as possible

Ive worked with cpus for years, HELL I EVEN WORKED IN A SEMICONDUCTOR FAB MAKING CHIPS, and you are WRONG! Cpu temps are NOT vital as long as they are below lockup temp which contrary to what you say is around 65C, not 45C!

Quote:
Just so you know, on my computer, all my hardware is running at stock speed, yet I have done some really crazy software optimizations which results in me having a "super-stable rock-solid speed demon" of a computer (which BTW, is running Win98SE) .

This is relative to the discussion how?

Quote:
That just goes to show you Mat, you don't necessarily need WinXP.

If given the choice of windows xp or windows 98se on a modern system only a fool would choose 98se imo.

Quote:
And also, my current CPU (a P3 1ghz coppermine) runs at 25 C at boot up, and 30 C at full load on a stock air cooler . My temperatures are low enough for me to have no need to replace my stock cooler.

Thats good for your 1ghz cpu, were talking about signifigantly faster and hotter cpus, your advice is flawwed and your reasoning is incorrect, I have shown this here, the stock heatsink comes with the processor for a REASON, replaceing it when not overclocking is foolish and wasteful of money, the only time someone should consider replacing their stock cooler is when they wish to overclock, OR they wish a super quiet jumbo hsf with 80mm whisper fan. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a fool or works for alpha or swiftech.

Quote:
Also, alot of people are talking about maximum operational temperatures, and saying all this stuff about Athlons being able to run at 95 C, and stuff like that. Well, that might be the max operational temperature, but have YOU ever ran a CPU at that temperature? No, didn't think so.

Dont ask me a question then answer it for me. I have seen tbird running stable@85C, I have seen tbirds which lockup@ 55C, that alone is reason enough NEVER to quote a single number as a good performance indicator and safe operating temprature, every chip is different but one thing remians the same, if it dosent lock up IT IS FINE!.

Quote:
At 95 C, you'd have no need to heat your room in the winter, and add to the fact that would dramatically lower the life expectancy of the chip down to less than a year.

This is utter bullshit and you have no knowledge from which to draw this conclusion, I will even go further and counter with the FACT, if the cpu is cool enough to operate normally it is not being signifigantly damaged by high temps, the temprature in which thermal timing issues cause the cpu to be unworkable is far below the temprature trace and transistor damage occurs at, so again, IF IT DOSENT LOCK UP, ITS FINE!.

Quote:
Ohh, and let's not forget that it would be next to impossible to try to run any software on a system with that kind of CPU, considering the countless lock-ups, blue-screens, and weird error messages you would get.

Again, this counters my point how, my point is and has always been IF IT DOSENT LOCK UP ITS FINE, your "test" to disprove me assumes lockups and thus is invalid.

Quote:
in conclusion, maximum "operational" temperatures don't matter much to the end-user. I mean, you wouldn't be able to use your computer, even though the CPU would physically be able to handle the temperature. FYI, if you look at northwood's white papers, it states that the max operating temperature for NW is about 66 C. Now, that's a much more "realistic" number, since you won't experience "countless" lockups, and your computer will still be usable. Of course, P4 NW's start to throttle well before 66 C. According to imgod2u, they start throttling at 55 C.

The 95c quote is the temp damage occurs, not the maximum operational temprature, and p4s dont throttle @55c as fatburgers p4 ran@65c for days before he cooled it down and he did not notice any throttling in his tests.

September 3, 2002 12:54:54 PM

Ay Carumba!!! You're not playing nice... The man in the aformentioned post was using sarcasm...you know...wit...some might even call it hyperbole, to add emphasis to his points. Lighten up francis..er...matisaro

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.
September 3, 2002 1:47:53 PM

Quote:
Ay Carumba!!! You're not playing nice... The man in the aformentioned post was using sarcasm...you know...wit...some might even call it hyperbole, to add emphasis to his points. Lighten up francis..er...matisaro

He was in no way using sarcasm, and he attacked my point, badly, and I gave him the full weight and pain of my thorough rebuking, he should know not to challenge my statements if he cannot handle a strong and sometimes intellectually vicious defence.

September 3, 2002 2:09:43 PM

Now I am confused...
Will my CPU work stable w/ stock cooler?
Or I should buy a thermaltake volcano 6Cu(+)?
September 3, 2002 2:34:21 PM

To summarize...
Yes, your XP will work stable with a stock cooler. Yes, an aftermarket cooler/fan may give you some benefit in ergonomics (lower noise)and lower temperatures. The lower temp benefit will probably extend your CPU life past OEM specifications. However, you need to ask yourself how long you intend to keep this processor. Five years ago, the hottest processor would not perform very well under today's apps. My humble advice... if you have the extra money that can't be put to better use, get an aftermarket cooling solution. If you're not overclocking your system, and you don't peek at your system temps, you will probably never notice any difference. I would go as far to say (I will probably get killed for this), that there are other factors in your system that conribute more to processor lifetime than how well your heatsink performs. What kind of usage does your CPU recieve? Do you run 3d games and distributed computing software, encode gobs of video, or do you use it for email and web browsing? Do you have a good power supply, with CLEAN power? How many power outages and surges will the local power company put your computer through? Is your computer plugged into a receptacle that has another high power switching load (fridge, microwave)? How warm do you keep your house? A fan and heatsink can only cool your CPU down to a few degrees above that temperature. The bottom line is that there are a lot of things that will affect the life of your CPU and the temp of your CPU besides the fan. Likethe man said, for your application, unless you have money to burn, use the stock.

September 3, 2002 2:36:16 PM

You are exactly right grub, the running temp(if below lockup temp) is far from the major impactor on your cpus lifespan, and all impactors together still do not noticably shorten the lifespan of a cpu!!!!

So, in closing, read my sig, live it, love it, learn it.

September 7, 2002 7:37:37 PM

Quote:
<i>Originally written by Matisaro</i>
By 1 week out of 10 years? You dont know what your talking about and running a system at a temp which does not cause lockups will not realistically shorten the cpus lifespan!

Yes it will! You really want to play hardball, don't you. Well here are some links which should wake you up:

<A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,17175,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,17175,00.asp...;/A>
<A HREF="http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/cooling/index_op..." target="_new">http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/cooling/index_op...;/A>

BTW, <b>110 Fahrenheit is about 43 C</b>. Are you going to argue with me as well as PC World and PC Power & Cooling? If you still don't believe what I'm saying, <b>I dare you to call PC World and have a conversation with them</b>. Or even better, you can contact PC Power and Cooling and ramble about how I "don't know what I'm talking about". These sites talk about the component life of your PC, which applies to all components (especially the CPU).

Quote:
So you enjoy wasting money then?

Ohh, and you enjoy arguing and rambling without any evidence whatsoever?

Quote:
When you have a lockup, you have officially entered the too hot region, many people on this very forum run their athlons@65c+ with NO ill side effects and no lockups, thus blowing a giant hole in your theory.

No ill side-effects? Well, apart from the fact that the component life of the CPU, as well as the entire PC is reduced noticeably, there is nothing wrong, right?

Quote:
If given the choice of windows xp or windows 98se on a modern system only a fool would choose 98se imo.

A fool in your mind, maybe. You must realize that Win98SE STILL is MORE compatible with programs, eats alot <b>less</b> resources than WinXP, and will run just as stable as XP if you have the time and patience to tweak and modifiy it.

Quote:
This is relative to the discussion how?

It's relative because I got a performance increase <b>without</b> overclocking, and I got a rock-solid system on Win98SE.

Quote:
Thats good for your 1ghz cpu, were talking about signifigantly faster and hotter cpus, your advice is flawwed and your reasoning is incorrect, I have shown this here, the stock heatsink comes with the processor for a REASON, replaceing it when not overclocking is foolish and wasteful of money, the only time someone should consider replacing their stock cooler is when they wish to overclock, OR they wish a super quiet jumbo hsf with 80mm whisper fan. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a fool or works for alpha or swiftech.

Are you talking about THE Alpha? The Appha that makes CPU's? The Alpha that designed the EV6 bus on the Athlon? How could you say such a thing?

Quote:
This is utter bullshit and you have no knowledge from which to draw this conclusion, I will even go further and counter with the FACT, if the cpu is cool enough to operate normally it is not being signifigantly damaged by high temps, the temprature in which thermal timing issues cause the cpu to be unworkable is far below the temprature trace and transistor damage occurs at, so again, IF IT DOSENT LOCK UP, ITS FINE!.

Based on your logic, someone can say "If you're still able to drive the car, then it's fine". Even though the car might be rusted, dirty, might have garbage bags for windows, may have doors that are falling off, otherwise the car is fine, right?

Quote:
The 95c quote is the temp damage occurs, not the maximum operational temprature, and p4s dont throttle @55c as fatburgers p4 ran@65c for days before he cooled it down and he did not notice any throttling in his tests.

in case you didn't know, you can CHANGE the throttling temperature on most BIOS'es that are on P4 mobo's. Intel doesn't recommend that you change it, but it's still possible. And it's very hard to notice the P4 throttling, even in benchmarks, if it's throttling lightly. Fatburger probably put a custom throttling temperature on his P4.

Grub, I wasn't being sarcastic, I was being serious.

andlcs, it will be stable with a stock cooler, as long as you do not overclock at all. All I said was I <i>recommend</i> that you get an aftermarket cooler.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dark_Archonis on 09/07/02 03:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 8, 2002 8:19:14 PM

Quote:
Yes it will! You really want to play hardball, don't you. Well here are some links which should wake you up:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,17175,00.asp
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/cooling/index_op...

Your first link is about SYSTEM temprature, NOT CPU TEMPRATURE. And it gives NO information relating to cpu lifespan and temprature deltas. Also it warns of heatlockups which is clearly hotter than my position allows, also a new heatsink wont make your hdd cooler which is the biggest thing this article warns about.

Your second link describes lifespan lowering when electronic components are hotter than their rated operating tempratures amds stated thermal design limit is 90C+ which no working cpu will ever exceed for the 50% lifespan reduction per 10C rule to even begin applying.(not to mention thats an exotic cooling sales outlet so their information on cooling should be viewed much like that of a best buy salesman trying to get a bigger commission)

Cpus are made in processes which exceed 800C temprature wise, they will NOT be adversely harmed by normal voltage 60C operation in any signifigant manner.

So in closing I dont have to write pc world of pcpowercooling, cause they dont disagree with me.

as for the insults in the rest of your post, I will ignore them because I have shot your weak counter down so badly as to render them ineffectual and meaningless.

If you want to duel with me you better bring more to the table than off topic irrelevant google links, I will school you unless you have something a little more ironclad.

Run along now.

PS:
Quote:
Are you talking about THE Alpha? The Appha that makes CPU's? The Alpha that designed the EV6 bus on the Athlon? How could you say such a thing?

I meant the heatsink maker, alphal pal8045, are they not called alpha, or do they have a different company name?

PPS:
Quote:
in case you didn't know, you can CHANGE the throttling temperature on most BIOS'es that are on P4 mobo's. Intel doesn't recommend that you change it, but it's still possible. And it's very hard to notice the P4 throttling, even in benchmarks, if it's throttling lightly. Fatburger probably put a custom throttling temperature on his P4.

He did not mention doing that, and I doubt he did, your claim of 55c throttling is incorrect, so go and google more evidence to back up your statement and come back when your properly prepared to debate.

PPPS: I am pulling no punches for you or LED, you both have mindlessly attacked my statements for too long and I will make it a point to riteously crush any of yours or his weak opposition to any post I make, so tread lightly pal.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matisaro on 09/08/02 01:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 9, 2002 1:09:27 PM

(ding...ding...and theres the bell that ends round one)
The judges score it heavily to Matisaro...
Come on bite his ear...

September 9, 2002 1:15:24 PM

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention this...I am running a Tbird 1.4 that almost always runs over 60 C (no air conditioning in house). Never have problems apart from the occasional crash when I'm the server at a Lan party. I've had the cpu for about a year and a half now. I'll probably keep it for another year and then upgrade. I'll let you know if it dies before then.

September 9, 2002 1:27:02 PM

If wont, fearmongering people want you to believe that 50C+ is bad, when the truth is if it dosent lockup its fine!

!