Sign in with
Your question

Best all-around HSF?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2002 6:54:03 AM

I've read a lot of the posts here concerning CPU cooling, and the most mentioned HSF seems to be the Thermaltake Volcano 7. Before I make a purchase, I'd like to get everyones input on the best all-around HSF. I don't plan to overclock, but I also only slightly care about noise. I just want to make sure my CPU is taken care of - currently using the default AMD HSF on an ASUS a7v333, and my CPU temp is usually 60-65 (50-55 using conventional thermostats).

More about : hsf

September 1, 2002 6:56:41 AM

well if it doesnt lockup then stick with what you have got!!!

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek:  </b>
September 1, 2002 4:32:43 PM

I have an A7V333 and an XP2100+. I live in a hot climate, so I wanted the best heatsink, regardless of noise. My choice was the Alpha PAL 8045 with a Vantec Tornado 84 cfm fan. It's cool but noisy. With BIOS 1011 my cpu temperatures are in the 40-50C range.

It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.
Related resources
September 1, 2002 10:30:14 PM

best bet, see if you can find an all copper heasink,
fan matter's but copper conducts heat better. :smile:

<font color=red>name:magic birthday:6/11/84 death:24/12/06 </font color=red>
September 2, 2002 1:17:58 AM

Get the CoolJag's JAC102C. The clip is hard to install but it performs good. It is noisy and heavy though...
September 2, 2002 1:35:40 AM

its all about trade offs.
heat vs size vs noise

larger hs = better
more copper = generally better
larger fan = better, more airflow for the same noise or equal airflow for less noise.

personally i think the volcano7+ with speed ajustable fan is pretty good, as is my MCX-462 with mid speed 80mm pabt fan on a rheostat.

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek:  </b>
!