pentax optio 50 problemS

tanya

hi,
pentax optio 50 (purchased recently) which is taking progressively worse
photos (now appear to be through a red filter (all settings)).
i have brought it back to the store and they said the settings were
wrong (i had put it to default to troubleshoot) and changed them ... it
continues to get worse....
there is a 1gb memory chip (put in by the camera store) the specs state
max = 512 mbs HOWEVER pentax said 1 gb is fine (i called pentax) (and
the store said to ignore the 512 max)
i have a kodak (4 years old) 1.3 megapixels which takes great photos
(inside and out) so i wonder whether there is a problem with the
camera, me or both?
any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hi,
> pentax optio 50 (purchased recently) which is taking progressively worse
> photos (now appear to be through a red filter (all settings)).
> i have brought it back to the store and they said the settings were
> wrong (i had put it to default to troubleshoot) and changed them ... it
> continues to get worse....
> there is a 1gb memory chip (put in by the camera store) the specs state
> max = 512 mbs HOWEVER pentax said 1 gb is fine (i called pentax) (and
> the store said to ignore the 512 max)
> i have a kodak (4 years old) 1.3 megapixels which takes great photos
> (inside and out) so i wonder whether there is a problem with the
> camera, me or both?
> any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated

Be sure the batteries are good and fresh.

Read Page 121-122 in your Reference manual.
Resetting to Default Settings (Reset)

If after resetting the camera to the default settings and you still have
problems, then there is something wrong with the camera.
You should take it to the shop where you bought it and exchange the camera
for a good camera.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

tanya

CSM1 wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > hi,
> > pentax optio 50 (purchased recently) which is taking progressively worse
> > photos (now appear to be through a red filter (all settings)).
> > i have brought it back to the store and they said the settings were
> > wrong (i had put it to default to troubleshoot) and changed them ... it
> > continues to get worse....
> > there is a 1gb memory chip (put in by the camera store) the specs state
> > max = 512 mbs HOWEVER pentax said 1 gb is fine (i called pentax) (and
> > the store said to ignore the 512 max)
> > i have a kodak (4 years old) 1.3 megapixels which takes great photos
> > (inside and out) so i wonder whether there is a problem with the
> > camera, me or both?
> > any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated
> >

> Be sure the batteries are good and fresh.
>
> Read Page 121-122 in your Reference manual.
> Resetting to Default Settings (Reset)
>
> If after resetting the camera to the default settings and you still have
> problems, then there is something wrong with the camera.
> You should take it to the shop where you bought it and exchange the camera
> for a good camera.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

hi and thank you for answering!
i do not have pages 121-122 (the manual is on cd-rom and goes up to page 80
or so) btw this was a demo (it was their last one) should it have come with a
reference manual on paper?
(there is a quick start manual on paper not cd-rom)
in any case, i found 1 problem which was that the flash was set to off... (i
set it to auto flash and the photos seem better) (i still have to see them on
the pc)

i had set the camera to defaults before bringing it back to the camera store
and they said the settings (defaults) were all wrong and changed them...(and
it got worse)

i'd like to know whether i should expect at least similar quality images as i
get on the 4 year old kodak (digital 1.3 mp) since i had thought that digital
technology has improved?

also i changed batteries (i'm using lithium batteries) and neither pair showed
any difference (also the lcd monitor shows that the batteries are good)

i thank you again
sincerely
Tanya
p.s. in order to compare this camera to the kodak what resolution and
compression would be similar to 1.3 megapixels? or would it not be possible to
compare the 2?

> CSM1 wrote:
>
>> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> > hi,
>> > pentax optio 50 (purchased recently) which is taking progressively
>> > worse
>> > photos (now appear to be through a red filter (all settings)).
>> > i have brought it back to the store and they said the settings were
>> > wrong (i had put it to default to troubleshoot) and changed them ... it
>> > continues to get worse....
>> > there is a 1gb memory chip (put in by the camera store) the specs state
>> > max = 512 mbs HOWEVER pentax said 1 gb is fine (i called pentax) (and
>> > the store said to ignore the 512 max)
>> > i have a kodak (4 years old) 1.3 megapixels which takes great photos
>> > (inside and out) so i wonder whether there is a problem with the
>> > camera, me or both?
>> > any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated
>> >

>> Be sure the batteries are good and fresh.
>>
>> Read Page 121-122 in your Reference manual.
>> Resetting to Default Settings (Reset)
>>
>> If after resetting the camera to the default settings and you still have
>> problems, then there is something wrong with the camera.
>> You should take it to the shop where you bought it and exchange the
>> camera
>> for a good camera.
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --
>
> hi and thank you for answering!
> i do not have pages 121-122 (the manual is on cd-rom and goes up to page
> 80
> or so) btw this was a demo (it was their last one) should it have come
> with a
> reference manual on paper?
> (there is a quick start manual on paper not cd-rom)
> in any case, i found 1 problem which was that the flash was set to off...
> (i
> set it to auto flash and the photos seem better) (i still have to see them
> on
> the pc)
>
> i had set the camera to defaults before bringing it back to the camera
> store
> and they said the settings (defaults) were all wrong and changed
> them...(and
> it got worse)
>
> i'd like to know whether i should expect at least similar quality images
> as i
> get on the 4 year old kodak (digital 1.3 mp) since i had thought that
> digital
> technology has improved?

The technology may have changed, but the image size and the resolution of
the image has not changed. 1.3 megapixels is 1.3 megapixels no matter the
age of the camera.

If you want better quality images, you have to spend some bucks. And get a
3-5 megapixel camera.

> also i changed batteries (i'm using lithium batteries) and neither pair
> showed
> any difference (also the lcd monitor shows that the batteries are good)
>
> i thank you again
> sincerely
> Tanya
> p.s. in order to compare this camera to the kodak what resolution and
> compression would be similar to 1.3 megapixels? or would it not be
> possible to
> compare the 2?

The image size is not the only thing that effects a digital image, good lens
make a difference also. Lower cost cameras have lower quality lens.

1.3 Megapixels would be a 1280 x 960 pixel image. Do not confuse Megapixels
and Megabytes.

Megapixels refers to the actual dimensions of the image in pixels.

Megabytes refers to the file size stored on your computer. The file size is
effected by not only the image size in pixels but by the file format the
image is saved in, such as TIFF or JPEG and the amount of compression
applied to the file.

I thought that you may have a paper reference manual that came with the
camera.

The PDF Reference Manual is here:
Page 121 (actual page number) is found on page 123 of this pdf.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/OptioS50_Web.pdf

In Windows, right click the link above and save target as to save on your
computer.
You need acrobat reader to view this pdf file.

This reference manual really has all of the details of using the camera,
Settings and how to find them in the camera's menu.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

tanya

CSM1 wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > CSM1 wrote:
> >
> >> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> >

> >> Be sure the batteries are good and fresh.
> >>
> >> Read Page 121-122 in your Reference manual.
> >> Resetting to Default Settings (Reset)
> >>
> >> If after resetting the camera to the default settings and you still have
> >> problems, then there is something wrong with the camera.
> >> You should take it to the shop where you bought it and exchange the
> >> camera
> >> for a good camera.
> >>
> >> --
> >> CSM1
> >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> >> --
> >
> > hi and thank you for answering!
> > i do not have pages 121-122 (the manual is on cd-rom and goes up to page
> > 80
> > or so) btw this was a demo (it was their last one) should it have come
> > with a
> > reference manual on paper?
> > (there is a quick start manual on paper not cd-rom)
> > in any case, i found 1 problem which was that the flash was set to off...
> > (i
> > set it to auto flash and the photos seem better) (i still have to see them
> > on
> > the pc)
> >
> > i had set the camera to defaults before bringing it back to the camera
> > store
> > and they said the settings (defaults) were all wrong and changed
> > them...(and
> > it got worse)
> >
> > i'd like to know whether i should expect at least similar quality images
> > as i
> > get on the 4 year old kodak (digital 1.3 mp) since i had thought that
> > digital
> > technology has improved?
>
> The technology may have changed, but the image size and the resolution of
> the image has not changed. 1.3 megapixels is 1.3 megapixels no matter the
> age of the camera.
>
> If you want better quality images, you have to spend some bucks. And get a
> 3-5 megapixel camera.

this camera is 5 megaPixels...

> > also i changed batteries (i'm using lithium batteries) and neither pair
> > showed
> > any difference (also the lcd monitor shows that the batteries are good)
> >
> > i thank you again
> > sincerely
> > Tanya
> > p.s. in order to compare this camera to the kodak what resolution and
> > compression would be similar to 1.3 megapixels? or would it not be
> > possible to
> > compare the 2?
>
> The image size is not the only thing that effects a digital image, good lens
> make a difference also. Lower cost cameras have lower quality lens.

is this camera not a very good one? it *was* quite inexpensive (and they
subtracted some from it since it was a demo)
just wonder whether it has a bad reputation..
i got it b/c of the ability to shoot 'movies' (video-clips)

> 1.3 Megapixels would be a 1280 x 960 pixel image. Do not confuse Megapixels
> and Megabytes.

so what would 5 megapixels be?

> Megapixels refers to the actual dimensions of the image in pixels.
>
> Megabytes refers to the file size stored on your computer. The file size is
> effected by not only the image size in pixels but by the file format the
> image is saved in, such as TIFF or JPEG and the amount of compression
> applied to the file.

it saves them in .jpeg

> I thought that you may have a paper reference manual that came with the
> camera.
>
> The PDF Reference Manual is here:
> Page 121 (actual page number) is found on page 123 of this pdf.
> http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/OptioS50_Web.pdf

i've looked at this (thanks) my camera does not have an 's' after the optio (it
is 'optio50')

> In Windows, right click the link above and save target as to save on your
> computer.
> You need acrobat reader to view this pdf file.
>
> This reference manual really has all of the details of using the camera,
> Settings and how to find them in the camera's menu.

setting the flash to auto is a big improvement (i really have to study the
manual -- i think (hope) that the problems are user error:)

> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

thank you very much again for replying!
(replies above, inline)
i appreciate your help!
sincerely
Tanya

> [...]
>
> > I thought that you may have a paper reference manual that came with the
> > camera.
> >
> > The PDF Reference Manual is here:
> > Page 121 (actual page number) is found on page 123 of this pdf.
> > http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/OptioS50_Web.pdf
>
> i've looked at this (thanks) my camera does not have an 's' after the
optio (it
> is 'optio50')
>
> > In Windows, right click the link above and save target as to save on
your
> > computer.
> > You need acrobat reader to view this pdf file.
> >
> > This reference manual really has all of the details of using the camera,
> > Settings and how to find them in the camera's menu.
>
> setting the flash to auto is a big improvement (i really have to study the
> manual -- i think (hope) that the problems are user error:)

So it is a 5 megapixel camera.
You must have the camera set to a lower resolution. 1.3 megapixel is only
1280 x 960.
Review of the Pentax Optio 50 camera:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optio50.asp

The 5 megapixel image is 2560 x 1920 pixels.
Math:
2560 times 1920 equals 4,915,200 pixels.

Read the manual to set the camera to the maximum image size and best quality
Jpg.
That camera offers several different resolutions as do most digital cameras.

Sometimes the factory default is a lesser resolution because the memory card
supplied with the cameral is too small to hold very many images at full
resolution.

You said you do not have the Optio S50, this the link to the manual for the
Plain Optio 50.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Optio50_web.pdf

--
CSM1