ACK! Didn't come w/Paste! =(

JColorado

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Dear all:

Hola, Jack here again, with another newbie question.

Based on the advice from the site, I went out and got an Athlon 1800+, new MB, and such... but now I have a problem.

The heatsink/fan didn't come with Thermal Paste! Should I dare to even turn my system on without Thermal Paste? I'm not overclocking, so there's no overworking worries...

If it's not a good idea, would it be possible to underclock the CPU until I get some Thermal Paste? I probably should note, since you're wondering how I'm posting this now, that I'm using my brother's computer. =)

Anyways, any advice is welcome! =)

-Jack Colorado

Hoping to learn something new, from those already in the know. =)

JColorado

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Ack! I'm a total tool! I just noticed the problem... I was expecting a little packet of grease... apparently it's already pre-applied on the bottom of the sink! I didn't even think to look! (smacks head)

Anyways, after much time and effort, I successfully installed the new MB and processor, and am now a proud owner of an Athlon system! Finally, I'm rid of that Celeron 500 for good. =) Now I just need a new video card, I still use a V3 3000. A good card in my opinion, but not in the opinion of many others. Well, I'll just take my time on that one. =)

-Jack Colorado

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
The problem is that you don't have any more support for Voodoo cards. I agree that it was a good card once, but it just won't cut it for today's stuff.
GeForce4 Ti4200 or Radeon 8500 could be some good upgrade options. You might even be satisfied with a Radeon 8500LE(not from Crucial).
But that's off topic here, just thought you might be glad to hear someone's take on this.

<font color=red>Words heard on a plane's recovered blackbox, "DON'T TOUCH THIS BUTTON YOU STUPID ASSHO................................."</font color=red>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD products will fry if you install hsf 1nm off! should you turn on the system sans thermal grease-well, you can say goodby to your cpu.

isn't great to know the facts before purchasing a piece of coal?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

DesperateDan

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Glad you sorted the problem, I don't suppose you could tell me the temperature your cpu is running at? I am getting the same package tomorrow and wouldn't mind knowing out of interest. :)

Btw, a geforce ti 4200 or 8500 is gonna offer at least 3 times the performance, also worth a mention is new hardware features that will give you some great visuals. Hardware T&L is becoming standard in games such as UT2003/ BF1942 and the next tomb raider game, games you can just about buy now.

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
GJ with your upgrade i just recently built a system for the first time it was scary but fun. GL with your new PC.

PS I just bought a new video card a Radeon 8500 and i love it i would definately recommend getting a new Video Card either the Radeon 8500 128MB or the Geforce 4 4200.

--------
The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing.

JColorado

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Phew... well, it seems to be running consistently at 48-49C, peaking at 50 at times... to tell the truth, it's kind of scary... I'm so used to the touchably-cool temp of the ancient Celerons. But heat is the price you pay for power, I guess. =) =) Now, that's not a danger zone temp, right? I mean it'll be okay at this temp? When should I start to worry/what temp is a danger zone starting to build at?

And thanks for the advice on the new Vid Card! I'm gonna look into the Ti 4200... it definately sounds many times more Uber than my current card. =)

-Jack Colorado

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
"AMD products will fry if you install hsf 1nm off! should you turn on the system sans thermal grease-well, you can say goodby to your cpu."

No. You don't avtually need thermal grease. It's recommended, but your CPU won't burn itself up if you don't have it.

Knowledge is the key to understanding

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Phew... well, it seems to be running consistently at 48-49C, peaking at 50 at times... to tell the truth, it's kind of scary... I'm so used to the touchably-cool temp of the ancient Celerons. But heat is the price you pay for power, I guess. =) =) Now, that's not a danger zone temp, right? I mean it'll be okay at this temp? When should I start to worry/what temp is a danger zone starting to build at?

When it locks up, its too hot!

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
No. You don't avtually need thermal grease. It's recommended, but your CPU won't burn itself up if you don't have it.

Running without paste can in fact cause a fry, it isnt 100% though, depends on the flatness of the heatsink bottom.

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink: