BW

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

MSBNtray.exe is causing unyielding alerts from norton
internet security. I have allowed full access, and I
have blocked all access for this program. Niether have
done me any good. I virus scanned, ad-awared, and SB
S&D'd and nothing. Why is this program continually
trying to connect to the internet? Every time it does,
it is using a different port. Help!

If you're on Windows XP, you can safely uninstall it. You can administer
the base station from the IP address in your browser.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"BW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MSBNtray.exe is causing unyielding alerts from norton
> internet security. I have allowed full access, and I
> have blocked all access for this program. Niether have
> done me any good. I virus scanned, ad-awared, and SB
> S&D'd and nothing. Why is this program continually
> trying to connect to the internet? Every time it does,
> it is using a different port. Help!

The MSBNtray.exe program tries to connect to the Internet as a test to see
it internet connectivity is indeed operational.

Whether or not you need that function is up to you.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"BW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MSBNtray.exe is causing unyielding alerts from norton
> internet security. I have allowed full access, and I
> have blocked all access for this program. Niether have
> done me any good. I virus scanned, ad-awared, and SB
> S&D'd and nothing. Why is this program continually
> trying to connect to the internet? Every time it does,
> it is using a different port. Help!

I am running XP Pro. I have set up all my settings using
the IP Address through the browser. How do I remove only
the MSBNtray without removing the broadband software? I
thought this MSBNtray was a component of the Microsoft
Broadband Network Utility...Any help would be appreciated.
BW

As I said, you can uninstall it. On Windows XP, you do not need the MSBN
software to administer the base station. Uninstall it in Add or Remove
Programs. Thereafter, just go into the IP address of the base station in
your browser address line if you need to make changes.