Sign in with
Your question

INTEL CHIP DIES! GRASSAPA FOUND GUILTY!!!

Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2002 1:26:21 AM

i was bored and this is the result of my boredom:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/water_paladin/lst?.dir=/My+P...

I hope intel warranty covers this... :frown:

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: 
September 2, 2002 1:56:35 AM

you evil person!!!
sacrificing the virginity of an intel chip!!! sacrilidge! burn in hell infadel

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek:  </b>
September 2, 2002 2:37:04 AM

That poor Pentium made it all these years and you go ahead and do something like that. You should be ashamed of yourself. Are you gonna kill Grandma the next time you get bored?

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 2, 2002 3:26:48 AM

:frown: i feel so bad now..... :frown:

September 2, 2002 4:16:35 AM

How the heck did you do that? The warrenty may or may not cover it depending on how that was caused (assuming the warranty hasn't expired by now).

Knowledge is the key to understanding
September 2, 2002 12:12:35 PM

We will all mourn the passing of the intel chip....
September 2, 2002 12:36:50 PM

Why do the other 2 pics look so much like AMD procs?... :eek: 

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
September 2, 2002 1:23:02 PM

kzzrn: err...it broke and i took a hammer and tried to fix it. hey...tom's logo is a hammer so i figured it would fix it...i guess i hit it a bit too hard.

chuck: no, its the same intel chip thats on the picutre

September 2, 2002 1:42:11 PM

That's definitely an AMD chip. The pin layout shows. The P4 has many more pins and goes much more towards the center.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
September 2, 2002 1:49:45 PM

I guess I'm just old, but that's an original Pentium, not an AMD. I doubt this guy would intentionally kill anything newer.
September 2, 2002 3:49:53 PM

He didn't say it was a Pentium 4. Also, if it were AMD Athlon, there would be some chips underneath it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
September 2, 2002 5:13:53 PM

Right right... sorry about that. But then again, IIRC the older Intel chips didn't have the thermal protection, so it wouldn't be all that hard to fry...

a b à CPUs
September 2, 2002 7:04:23 PM

No d00d, LMAO, that's a Pentium 1 like in the first pic. I've taken a couple caps off these myself for educational demonstration (IE, look how big the circuits were back then).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2002 7:05:27 PM

The exposed core is NOT indicating the chip fried, but simply that the cover on the bottom was smashed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 2, 2002 8:03:54 PM

Yeah, everyone saw those fried amd chips that the lab guyz played with. This one AIN'T melted...

C@lling it like I c it...
September 2, 2002 10:09:32 PM

crashman's description is the closest...thats why i put a picture of the front that says "Intel Pentium" to make u guys realize that its a Pentium chip. i never said it was a p4 chip, HELL i would never break a p4 chip (maybe 5 years later i will). and yes, i smashed it with a hammer (which i clearly described in my third post) i thought a hammer might do the job, but i guess i smashed it too hard LOL. i think its not a good idea for tom to have a hammer as a logo since hammers arent good computer fixers (as a matter of fact, i dont think u would ever need a hammer)

September 2, 2002 10:35:22 PM

How can you smash a chip with a hammer without the entire thing becoming a flat entity of goo and silicon?! :smile:

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2002 12:05:48 AM

d00d, this was before the Flip Chip cores, the core was on the underside with the bottom mounted to the bottom of the package, and the top of the core covered by a plate that didn't even touch it. Originally the plate was Copper, those were easier to remove. Later covers were made from some kind of plastic-ceramic material.

September 3, 2002 12:38:31 AM

u think my case is weird?? svol found a site where they showed doing the same thing i did, but THE CPU STILL WORKED?? i think its just fake... let me look for that link...

September 3, 2002 12:52:22 AM

I just remembered ive got my tbird 1200C still lying aorund somewhere... it still works, except for the cache. a bit damamged methinks.
i should play around with it :smile:

September 3, 2002 3:45:58 AM

*evil laugh*
yes young poobaa, you and hammie shall join the forces of evil!!

September 3, 2002 5:34:27 AM

"That's definitely an AMD chip. The pin layout shows. The P4 has many more pins and goes much more towards the center."

On one of the pictures, it says "Intel" and then "Pentium" on it. It looks more like a Socket 5 Pentium to me.

Knowledge is the key to understanding<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kzzrn on 09/03/02 01:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 3, 2002 5:40:23 AM

Intel stopped using the ceramic packaging process when they went with the Socklet 7 Pentium MMX's.

a b à CPUs
September 3, 2002 5:56:25 AM

Do you have diarhea of the mouth? I'm talking about the core cover, not the pin grid. And the processor in the pic was not a Pentium MMX. So as a wise man once said "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?".

September 4, 2002 1:53:30 AM

lol crashman just cracks me up completely....anybody care to buy the chip for 5 bucks?? lol

September 4, 2002 3:32:58 AM

"Do you have diarhea of the mouth? I'm talking about the core cover, not the pin grid. And the processor in the pic was not a Pentium MMX. So as a wise man once said "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?"."

Do you need your eyes checked? I never said it was a Pentium MMX.

September 5, 2002 1:29:47 AM

Well I cant believe it, but you guys even made a thread like this a flame war.
September 5, 2002 4:22:16 AM

squewer your marshmellows on a stick and hold them over the thread.... mmmmmm. tasty roasted beauties :smile:

September 5, 2002 4:57:25 AM

Hah......i dunno why but u made me think about the lady who runs a local coffee shop.....she said she smokes Capuchinno through a bong.........heh....mmm...marshmellows and Capachinno.. =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
September 5, 2002 5:29:15 AM

yeah... i think its a bit sad people missread the post and got into a flaming war... when it was obvious to begin with that the destroyed cpu in question was an old penitum classic. end of story.

besides, what moron would destroy a modern (and expensive cpu)

September 5, 2002 6:17:44 AM

Hey..........obviously u didnt read <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"> THIS </A> thread...LoL

Poor people..

as for a flame war.......hah.....this is nothing compared to a lot of other threads....but indeed this was not supposed to turn into one.....anyone with some recolection of Socket 7 CPUS would know thats an Intel Pentium Classic processor......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
!