couple of athlon 2600 questions....

Mofoho

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
hi

At the moment i have a 1.4ghz thunderbird and an asus a7v266-e, i what i wanted to know is if an athlon 2600 will work on my a7v266-e?, i tried to find out but i couldnt, would a suitable bios update be enough?. Also does anyone know where i can find out how much power the athlon 2600 (and 2400)uses up, because i promised myself never to get a chip that uses more power than my 1.4ghz tbird due to the amount of heat it produces and also the noise of the fan.

thanks

p.s. a couple of weeks ago i posted about my computer not booting up at all (not even a beep even though power appeared to be on) and i couldnt reply to anyones posts because my computer didnt work so it was difficult to access the internet, well anyway the problem was the power supply not working but thanks to everyone who tried to help!!

i have posted here before but i forgot my password and thgc wouldnt send me a reminder!!

eden

Champion
The 1.4GHZ Tbird was the highest drawing chip so far IIRC.
The XP2600 uses up about 68.3W, still less than the highest drawing CPU from AMD. I am confident you will get less heat, however the Retail Cooler should normally not be noisy, so get a Retail and relax!

Have you checked Asus' website for the A7V266E? I am pretty sure Asus should have a new BIOS version to support them so you can flash it. Double check to be sure.

Good luck!

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!

Mofoho

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
no bios update but there was a beta, maybe thats it, but i guess you cant even buy the 2600/2400 yet so i suppose its nothing to be surprised about. There is no technical reason why the faster cpus wont work on my a7v266-e is there?

i have posted here before but i forgot my password and thgc wouldnt send me a reminder!!

eden

Champion
I don't see any. The KT266A is a famous chipset for K7, still a good performing one and is not that old, so I doubt it was built with a future cap on future CPUs. The thing that is most crucial is if the mobo can support lower Vcores than 1.75V.
And yes, they are far from being released anyway!

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!

TRENDING THREADS