Alienware M14x- Video driver won't install, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardpale

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I've got an Alienware M14x running 64 bit windows 7 with a Nvidia GT555M graphics card. I've only had it a couple of months and it's still under warranty. I've never really been into PC gaming before so I can't say I know what I'm doing but I have been trying to keep it up to date and look after it.

Basically I've had problems running Portal 2, Deus Ex HR and Witcher 2, which I think I should be able to run. I read on a few sites that the problem might be as simple as needing to update my video driver. I just went to the Nvidia site and found what I'm pretty sure is the latest official driver for my card, this one:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-280.26-whql-driver-uk.html
I downloaded that and ran the installer. The first thing the installer does is runs a system check and gives me the error message
'NVIDIA installer cannot continue.
This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware'
I ran the installer a few more times and I get the same problem.

How worried about this should I be? Does it mean there's something wrong with my graphics card or am I overreacting?

Oh and this might be completely irrelevant but lately I've noticed the screen cuts out whenever I switch from battery power to the mains or vice versa. That's not really a problem but until lately it didn't do that so again it's a little worrying.

If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it, thanks

mauler184

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
You could call alienware, they are extremely helpful. I don't know much about drivers, but did you pick your correct operating system, adn wthere is 64 bit or 32? and make sure your gpu is supported?

richardpale

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah I'm definitely sure that's the right driver for my system. I put in all the right system details on Nvidia's site and it sent me to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.