Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 64 freeze after login before desktop loads

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 2, 2010 10:42:18 PM

Hello,

Windows 7 64bit is freezing after i type in my password and hit enter.

I can boot into safe mode just fine. While in safe mode, I uninstall my video card driver. This then allows me to boot back into normal win7 64bit mode. I have yet to find a video card driver that works. All of this was working 3 days ago. I know what has changed but nothing that should affect the vid card.

asus rampage II extreme
core i7 920 @ stock currently
corsair dominator6gb tr3x6g1600c8d
asus geforce gtx 470
TT toughpower xt 850w
intel x2-m ssd 80gb(boot & games)
WD 500gb hdd (storage)
g5 mouse
g15 keyboard

Best solution

June 3, 2010 12:02:32 AM

I just went through this with my sons computer. The computer would freeze or reboot right after login. It would work fine in safe mode, and with no driver installed (Standard VGA driver installed) When I set it so that I could get a bluescreen, then I was able to identify that it was an nvidia driver component that was the problem. Actually it was crashing during the startup of that component because the card was bad. It seems that after login the OS initializes the graphics driver components and whatever is being done by that component exposes the hardware fault and causes the crash. The card was an EVGA 275GTX that was about 9 months old. Before calling EVGA, I put his card in my system, exactly same issue. Then I took a card from my other son's computer (8800GTS 512MB) and put it into my first son's computer and it worked fine. I did this because otherwise EVGA (and presumably other AIB's tech support) will make you jump through a bunch of troubleshooting hoops that may or may not include re-installing windows. So to cut down the amount of time needed to get an RMA number, I eliminated the rest of the system including the OS, leaving only the graphics card as the problem.

If you have access to another computer that you can install your 470 into, I would start there, if the problem repeats in another system, then your graphics card is hooped.
Share
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 12:43:49 AM

Have you tried a system restore back to the time that the computer was working correctly?
Score
0
Related resources
June 3, 2010 3:20:21 AM

techgeek said:
I just went through this with my sons computer. The computer would freeze or reboot right after login. It would work fine in safe mode, and with no driver installed (Standard VGA driver installed) When I set it so that I could get a bluescreen, then I was able to identify that it was an nvidia driver component that was the problem. Actually it was crashing during the startup of that component because the card was bad. It seems that after login the OS initializes the graphics driver components and whatever is being done by that component exposes the hardware fault and causes the crash. The card was an EVGA 275GTX that was about 9 months old. Before calling EVGA, I put his card in my system, exactly same issue. Then I took a card from my other son's computer (8800GTS 512MB) and put it into my first son's computer and it worked fine. I did this because otherwise EVGA (and presumably other AIB's tech support) will make you jump through a bunch of troubleshooting hoops that may or may not include re-installing windows. So to cut down the amount of time needed to get an RMA number, I eliminated the rest of the system including the OS, leaving only the graphics card as the problem.

If you have access to another computer that you can install your 470 into, I would start there, if the problem repeats in another system, then your graphics card is hooped.



thank you very much for this info and taking the time to post it. I will defenatly try this with my daughters computer that i just built and i also have an 8800 in it.

again, thank you very much.
Score
0
June 3, 2010 3:23:07 AM

pjmelect said:
Have you tried a system restore back to the time that the computer was working correctly?



Yes, I have gone back to sunday(5-30-10) and it still happens. I was playing sc2 that day.

thank you
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 6:26:08 AM

If the graphics card works on another computer, then there is a possibility that this problem is caused by a faulty power supply. Try swapping the power supply with your daughters one.
Score
0
June 4, 2010 1:50:09 AM

thank you very much pjmelect. You were exactly right. Its a dead video card. Running on the 8800 right now.

thanks a million man!
Score
0
June 14, 2010 3:26:10 AM

Best answer selected by McKorgan.
Score
0
June 2, 2011 3:09:26 PM

Hey, Just had the exact same problem.

Problem: Windows 7 x64 would freeze after logging in but before the desktop would load. Safe mode booted and worked fine

Solution: It seemed that the graphics card that in the machine (a Nvidia Geforce N470OC-13) could not draw enough power. The card takes aux power through SLI connectors on the side using a 8 Pin pci express cable
but the 6 pin aux power was coming from a different cable than the 8 pin cable.

http://www.dvhardware.net/reviews/silverstone_da750/11.... (example of the cable)

Once I changed the power to come from the same cable it logged in just fine.
Score
0
July 4, 2011 10:34:06 PM

Dick_j said:
Hey, Just had the exact same problem.

Problem: Windows 7 x64 would freeze after logging in but before the desktop would load. Safe mode booted and worked fine

Solution: It seemed that the graphics card that in the machine (a Nvidia Geforce N470OC-13) could not draw enough power. The card takes aux power through SLI connectors on the side using a 8 Pin pci express cable
but the 6 pin aux power was coming from a different cable than the 8 pin cable.

http://www.dvhardware.net/reviews/silverstone_da750/11.... (example of the cable)

Once I changed the power to come from the same cable it logged in just fine.


Hey,

You guys think its a similar problem to me as well? Im using a Toshiba laptop, brand new.

This happened to me twice already. Well three times to be exact. The first time, i installed kaspersky antivirus, shut down my computer then turned it on again. I was testing how long my computer would take for it to start/load a program (since i just installed an antivirus and i want to see if the AV slows my computer down) it didnt, the boot up was only around 5 seconds late. BUT the moment it loaded my desktop, THAT same instant i immediately clicked on the google chrome program. I did this as i wanted to know how long it would take, from a log in to a program application load. However my computer just froze. The was the windows circle thing just spinning around. I waited 5 minutes, nothing happened. I just then did a cold boot... :( 

That was the 1st incident to freezing.

The 2nd and 3rd ones, happened yesterday. I updated again, this time it wasan intel hd graphics update. after installing it, it said to restart my computer. I did. My computer restarted then when i was at the log in screen, i decided to shut down, since i dont really need to log in. Next time i used my computer, It froze after I logged in. I can see my desktop and everything, but theres this circle thing again, loading. My gadgets didnt even load as usual. I waited for a while then another cold boot.

Finally, it happened again, same day. when i turned it on, it froze on me during the log in screen. No desktop visible.

Is this really normal? All these three events happened with my battery power mode on ''power saver''

Today i tried setting it to high performance and it seemed to show my desktop a lot quicker after log in. MAYBE power is really the issue, hopefully.
Score
0
July 7, 2011 11:08:34 AM

As the desktop actually loads it doesn't seem to be the same problem, I would suggest that you:
Roll back the graphics driver and test,
Run msconfig and disable any programs from starting that you don't need
Test to see if you machine works in safe mode.

Hope you get your problem fixed :) 
Score
0
July 9, 2011 12:15:21 AM

Dick_j said:
As the desktop actually loads it doesn't seem to be the same problem, I would suggest that you:
Roll back the graphics driver and test,
Run msconfig and disable any programs from starting that you don't need
Test to see if you machine works in safe mode.

Hope you get your problem fixed :) 


Hi!

How could it be that the graphics card may be the problem? My laptop is new and I have not even updated the video card! My machine works in safe mode, and also I'm a bit worried about my laptop. It works 100% fine, but it froze on me twice during the welcome/log in screen. Before I logged in, i pressed the wireless LAN enabler/dis-abler (as I wanted to dis-able it). I inputted my password and pressed enter...the circle loading thing just kept spinning..basically it froze. Waited for awhile then finally turned it off. It only happened to me when I pressed the wireless button though, without pressing it, it logs on just fine.

Is this a sign of a faulty machine? I mean..its brand new, and I checked the drives using ''chkdsk'' and it does not read any bad sectors. If chkdsk does not read bad sectors, its 100% sure my laptop is fine right? The hard drive at least..

Its understandable when my desktop froze since I was just finished installing an anti virus , and also it froze again after an update, then after than its working fine now. But I dont understand why it froze on the log in when i just toggled the wireless on/off.

Advice/Insights would be appreciated! :) 
Thanks!
Score
0
August 19, 2011 6:36:37 PM

upd@te said:
Hi!

How could it be that the graphics card may be the problem? My laptop is new and I have not even updated the video card! My machine works in safe mode, and also I'm a bit worried about my laptop. It works 100% fine, but it froze on me twice during the welcome/log in screen. Before I logged in, i pressed the wireless LAN enabler/dis-abler (as I wanted to dis-able it). I inputted my password and pressed enter...the circle loading thing just kept spinning..basically it froze. Waited for awhile then finally turned it off. It only happened to me when I pressed the wireless button though, without pressing it, it logs on just fine.

Is this a sign of a faulty machine? I mean..its brand new, and I checked the drives using ''chkdsk'' and it does not read any bad sectors. If chkdsk does not read bad sectors, its 100% sure my laptop is fine right? The hard drive at least..

Its understandable when my desktop froze since I was just finished installing an anti virus , and also it froze again after an update, then after than its working fine now. But I dont understand why it froze on the log in when i just toggled the wireless on/off.

Advice/Insights would be appreciated! :) 
Thanks!



I Have the exact same issue! I have an acer aspire laptop with intel i3 and my computer began to be unresponsive last week after logon. It works perfectly in safe mode and that's how im sending the message right now. so far ive copied all my files and im going to reformat windows, but is there any easier way to fix it? im not very computer savy and i would really appreciate the help!
Score
0
a c 416 $ Windows 7
August 19, 2011 9:41:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
0
!