Did I make a mistake?

camtr

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
I have a new Asus P4B533-E motherboard and have ordered a Intel P4 2.4B CPU. I planned on getting a 1.8 or 2.0 CPU but jumped at the 2.4B CPU because I could buy if for $173 shipped, and because I do not plan on overclocking right away as I am still learning and still wanted a fast CPU. I need to order memory tomorrow and was Thinking about Corsair 512MB MEMORY XMS3200 (400MHZ BUS) 512MB DDR 64X64 (184PIN) UNBUFFERED CAS 2. $185.00

My plan was to buy componants (motherboard,CPU,Memory,video card)that were capable of good overclocking and that were fast without being overclocked so that I could get it set-up and then as I learned and time went by that I could overclock it and have a much faster system with the same componants. I admit I know next to nothing about overclocking and have been trying to learn from these fourms.

Now my trouble, I just read the post in this fourm by Bigbiggist(9-2-02)and after reading the replies I am concerned that after all my planning and research that I made a mistake by buying the 2.4B CPU instead of the 1.8 or 2.0

I would like to know what your opinions and suggestions are, and also:

1. With this MB and CPU what memory does it make sense to
buy being as I assume the 2.4B will not be good for
overclocking? I don't want to pay for fast DDR if I
cannot utilize it.

2. The owners manual for the MB says it only supports
PC2100/pc1600. Should I or can I safely use faster?

3. What can I expect this MB,CPU, and Memory (to be yet
decided on) to overclock to?

4. With this MB and CPU should I just forget the
overclocking and just run it at stock speed?
I assume I should have a good fast system anyway
without the OC.

Thanks to all in advance for your imput, I am getting anxious to get my system up and running and need to order the memory ASAP

p.s The rest of my system's main componants are:

Antec Plus1080amg case
Lite-on 48X cdrw
lite-on 16x DVD
XFX Georce4 Ti 4200 128 mb video card
Western Digital Special Edition 80 mb Hard drive

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, the 2.4B will do 2700MHz at 150MHz FSB. That's not too shabby. And doing that, you can use the 3:4 CPU:DRAM ratio to get your memory to DDR400 speeds.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

camtr

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Thanks again Crashman,

Pardon my uncertainty, I beleive you are saying that DDR 2700 cas 2.5 would be best for my situation?