Sign in with
Your question

Split opinions

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
July 26, 2012 12:23:57 PM

I talked to some people about win8 and most of them think it's terrible, even aside from the ui(they seem to not care that you can also have a regular desktop mode) and windows store. Didn't get much of an explanation aside from horrible reasoning that always ended up pointing to the fact that it is also aimed at mobile platforms.I've tried the previews and so far so good. So i was wondering, what kind of issues have you had so far with the os as far as your experience is concerned? I've only had minor compatibility issues that are expectable with new os'(less than xp-7). Most things like stability and performance seem to have improved.

More about : split opinions

July 26, 2012 12:34:47 PM

My concern with Windows 8 is not that it's aimed toward Mobile Platforms as well as desktop and notebook environments, it's that Microsoft chose to change the layout and organization of the operating system for no particular reason. For the first time in 4 major Windows revisions, I find myself not being able to locate the functions I'm looking for in a timely matter. The lack of a Start Menu is just rage inducing.

I'll admit, the new Aero looks nice, and the Main Screen UI is kind of nice, if not pointlessly busy. But, I for one, have no intention of upgrading anytime in the near future.
m
l
July 26, 2012 1:32:13 PM

Microsoft messes something up in every operating system. I always wait until at least after service pack 1 to upgrade.

In windows vista they were bold, and changed and broke lots of stuff .. in windows 7 they were overly cautious and basically just fixed vista ... in windows 8 they are being bold again ...

So my thought is that windows 8 will be good. Just not yet.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
July 26, 2012 1:43:41 PM

Back in "the day", the IT mantra with NT was "Everything is Beta until after SP3". Now MS seems to wait longer between SP's and we can expect to see maybe 2 or 3 in a OS's lifetime. The bigger the number of computers you have to manage, the more likelihood there is that you will be waiting a bit before ordering boxes with a new OS. As for upgrading old hardware to a new OS, it's never a good idea.
m
l
July 26, 2012 2:30:51 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Microsoft messes something up in every operating system. I always wait until at least after service pack 1 to upgrade.

In windows vista they were bold, and changed and broke lots of stuff .. in windows 7 they were overly cautious and basically just fixed vista ... in windows 8 they are being bold again ...

So my thought is that windows 8 will be good. Just not yet.

This.
m
l
July 27, 2012 8:42:10 AM

Well, i understand that some people aren't exactly enjoying the ui, especially the lack of the start menu, but i was mainly looking for errors that have to be fixed and not something minor like controlling difficulty. I understand that people have split opinions on the layout and interface but i was thinking more along the lines of errors that have to be fixed suchas random system and program shutdowns or stability. Most people here seem concerned with the fact that several os' seem to have some pretty big errors and are quite unstable at release so i just kind of wanted to see how stable/unstable this os is based on experience and known major errors in the os.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:41:59 PM

Not only is it a beta oper system, it also comes with a beta browser version.

Flash does not work either.

Went back to Vista.
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:03:05 PM

ceh4702 said:
Not only is it a beta oper system, it also comes with a beta browser version.

Flash does not work either.

Went back to Vista.

Why Vista?! :heink: 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
August 3, 2012 4:03:08 PM

Other then better resource management Windows 8 doesn't seem to have enough to interest me. I really love the new Task Manager, it's got a nice overview. Having the start menu is what i really got used to with Windows. Since they don't have it on this one i don't really see the need to upgrade, besides i'm still happy with XP & Windows 7. :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
August 3, 2012 4:19:58 PM

Xenturion said:
My concern with Windows 8 is not that it's aimed toward Mobile Platforms as well as desktop and notebook environments, it's that Microsoft chose to change the layout and organization of the operating system for no particular reason. For the first time in 4 major Windows revisions, I find myself not being able to locate the functions I'm looking for in a timely matter. The lack of a Start Menu is just rage inducing.

I'll admit, the new Aero looks nice, and the Main Screen UI is kind of nice, if not pointlessly busy. But, I for one, have no intention of upgrading anytime in the near future.

Microsoft didn't do this for no reason. They had to. Apple is merging the mobile and desktop OS'es into one, so Microsoft doesn't have much of a choice. If they had waited until the next major release of Windows, they would have been totally screwed. 2015/2016 will be too late.

I can certainly see why the lack of a start menu is rage inducing. The problem is that we still have a start menu, so I don't know why you're getting pissed off. Does it look different? For sure. Will it take some getting used to? Definitely. It's still a start menu though. Trying to say it's not just makes you look silly.
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:04:35 PM

For me I would enjoy the Window 8 if they just stick with one user interface, either Metro or Window 7 UI. Having the go back and forth between the two UI is a horrible idea.

Second is a completely new UI that the average consumer would not get used to if can't use the Start Menu and no Window Media Player but Window Media Center (speaking for the average consumer).

Third would be that Window 8 is design for tablets not desktop which most of them will dread learning new functions and shortcuts.
m
l
August 6, 2012 3:16:39 PM

Honestly - as frustrating as Macs can be, Apple's approach of slowly making iOS and Mac OS more and more similar in configuration through yearly updates makes a lot more sense.

These jarring changes (and hundreds of subsequent patches) that Microsoft likes to roll out every few years are just not a good system.
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:29:22 PM

I actually like Win8 RP. Under Win7 Skyrim would stutter sometimes on Ultra. Under Win8 it runs smooth as silk. It took sometime to get used to Metro.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
August 20, 2012 5:22:32 AM

Overall I like the Win8 CP. It was very fast. worked with most programs(hwmon does not, but that will be fixed with a new version).

Then I grabbed the RTM version. No more Aero Glass(the taskbar is transparentish). Well that is different. Kind of reminds me of Win98 :) . Then my sound would stop on every reboot(Creative Driver. default driver works but looses all features. A disable/re-enable fixes it). I am sure this will be sorted.

The RTM looks more clean and metro like, so I guess that is what they are going for.

This will not stop me from using it.
m
l
August 21, 2012 6:33:08 AM

I'm not wrapped up in the "metro" interface. I wish the desktop version could be booted into the desktop. You could still run the metro apps, just not form the get-go.

I hate the fact that I can't use gadgets anymore. I like the clock and the calendar and the weather gadget. I'm used to them being there and I want to continue to use them. I went so far as to running a virtual machine minimized down to where it is just wide enough for the gadgets on an installation of windows 7. But this is NOT a practical long-term solution.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:48:47 PM

kfitzenreiter said:
I went so far as to running a virtual machine minimized down to where it is just wide enough for the gadgets on an installation of windows 7. But this is NOT a practical long-term solution.

now that is what i call dedication to gadgets, lol

I would probably do something simliar if gadgets were something i always used on win7, i usualy find it makes my desktop cluttered since i always just check my phone for the weather.

personally i like Win8, 'metro' is just as easy and quick to navigate if needed once you know where to find everything
i think of it as a sidways start menu
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:56:15 PM

kfitzenreiter said:
I'm not wrapped up in the "metro" interface. I wish the desktop version could be booted into the desktop. You could still run the metro apps, just not form the get-go.

I hate the fact that I can't use gadgets anymore. I like the clock and the calendar and the weather gadget. I'm used to them being there and I want to continue to use them. I went so far as to running a virtual machine minimized down to where it is just wide enough for the gadgets on an installation of windows 7. But this is NOT a practical long-term solution.

Check out Rainmeter i replaced the gadgets windows uses with some rainmeter apps, I like them a lot more. I'm not sure how well its works on win8 but I see no major reason why it would be broken or not updated when win8 is released.
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:36:19 PM

I think windows 8 looks great, gonna upgrade as soon as possible.
m
l
!