Windows 3.1 and Windows 7

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi. Was Windows 3.1 and its programs as fast in comparison with Windows 7 and its programs today.( I think it was). I haven't tried tried 'Progman.exe' in Windows 7 yet as I cannot find my copy of it. Does it work? I know it works in Vista. I hope this thread brings back memories.

Jonmor68

Distinguished

I does bring back memories, like how long it took to install, painfully one floppy disk at a time that you had to feed the pc with.
In that time I could start W7 install make a cup of coffee and have it up and running surfing the net, before you could feed all the disks to Win 3.1.
MS office took 31 floppy disks to install, I don't care to repeat that.
I couldn't afford 8 meg of ram at that time in AU$ 1meg cost $200 in the early stage and then dropping on special to about $100-120 now 2GB is around $69AUD, a 500meg drive cost about $430AUD, now a 1TB costs $99AUD.
I enjoy the memories, but I wouldn't want to go back to 3.1, I don't even want to go back to Vista or XP, I like where I am now.

mibix19

Distinguished
Did you not like look of the desktop with its own program group boxes? I would still like to mess with the DOS6.2 and play some of the games.They could be a menace to get to run though. Thanks to all up to now for your input regarding Progman.exe. Have found my Windows 98 Disc, so will try it when I get a few minutes.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
good luck, if you got a dual core processor or more, I wouldn't hold my breath as for it working, lack support for multicore processing, if you want to play the old games get a 486 and install 3.1 on it