Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

AMD K6-2 400 in an old Pentium 120 board...???

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Chip
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2002 8:20:11 AM

I am thinking of upgrading an old Pentium 120 MHz computer with an amd K6-2 366 MHz chip I have lying about. Not sure about the board version (some OEM shite).

Now, I know that this chip will run happily at 400 MHz with the board multiplier set to 2x (chip runs at 6x when board sets multiplier to 2x) - and the board supports 66 MHz FSB. But, does the bios need to recognise this chip for it to work? Has this got any hope of working?

Will have to check on voltages - anyone remember the voltages required for Pentium chips and whether this is close enough to that for the K6-2 chips. I've got an Athlon XP heatsink lying about too - so there will be plenty of cooling.

Anyone got opinions other than throw the onld machine in the bin?

Campbell...

More about : amd 400 pentium 120 board

September 5, 2002 8:26:29 AM

Hi,

Remember that your P120 runs at 60 Mhz FSB, and the K6-2 400 needs 66 Mhz - so that might be an issue, btw - do your by any means know what chipset thats on the board?

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX
September 5, 2002 9:05:28 AM

Well, first you need a motherboard that support DUAL voltage, and also that can supply 2.2 volts. Sorry, I can't make it clickable, you can check:
http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=55,...(59)

Second, your K6-2 will follow the "x2 as x6" rule as long as its model 8, stepping 8 or higher. See it here:
http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=55,...(393)

Finally, nothing happens if you run your CPU on lower FSB except that performance drops (obvious, isn't it?). Good cooling like the one you mention will allow you to reach higher frecuency easily. Also if you have 2.4 volts or even 2.8 volts instead of 2.2, the K7's HSF can make the system run.

Oh yes, one more. Maybe your mobo has a maximum of 66Mhz, but some software programs could give you higher FSB if you have the right clock generator. Can't remember the names, look around overclocking sites. In my case I'm running a K6-2 500 at 6x83, stressing a little bit PCI bus, but runs ok.

Hope this helps.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 5, 2002 9:58:11 AM

Okay - dug about a little and think I have found out what the baord is. The computer was made by Apricot - and got a possible link to <A HREF="http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/apricot/mb/aprdia.htm" target="_new">info</A>.

Says it does not support even MMX cpus - so think I might be out of luck with the K6-2 cpu. I might just pop this into the baord and see if the chip dies - or tell my sister to buy a newer computer - she's got plenty of cash anyway.

Campbell...
September 5, 2002 12:23:09 PM

Hey Campbell! It won't work or you can also fry the CPU! Pentium MMX need dual voltage also, so for sure K6-2 are not supported.

Anyway, if she has so much cash I'll be rewarding to build a new computer ;-)

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
September 6, 2002 1:07:47 PM

Hi! I believe it can be done! I've installed a K6-2 400 AMD CPU on my old Pentium 133 System and it worked, but with the help of the Powerleap PL-ProMMX Adapter. The reason you'll need that adapter is the different core voltage that the specific processor needs (2.2V if i remember correctcly) apart from the 3.3V standard CPU voltage. My motherboard was a SOYO 5VA2 and the powerleap adapter along with a K6-2 400 AMD CPU run just fine!!!!!!!!You are right about the 2X multiplier recognized as 6X from the AMD CPU and if your board supports 66Mhz FSB i think that it can be done, but first of all visit www.powerleap.com site to see if your motherboard is compatible and can support K6-2 400 along with the adapter. It is possible that you may need to flash to a newer BIOS version.
Hope this helps.
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2002 10:31:54 PM

You can run a K6-2 at 2.8v if needed, as long as it's properly cooled. And extensive use has shown me all K6-2's from 350 on up had the 2x=6x feature.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2002 10:36:09 PM

You have most of the information you need, but like the other guys said, you have a single voltage board. Someone mentioned the $50 PowerLeap adapter, well, you could buy a new motherboard for less than that.

Most boards that did support dual voltage with 2.8v or less vcore would work, even without BIOS support. But yours won't.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>