what should I choose?

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I have the oppertunity to choose P3/1ghz or a celeron P4/1,6 ghz. Both with 256 mb sdram. what would you choose, just for officework, surfing and running a couple of programs at the same time? Its for office use.
I've tested both, but the P3 feels faster. Both running newly installed w2k pro... Suggestions? :)

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Even as you said, "the p3 feels faster."

You're most likely correct. When matching with SDRAM, honestly I'd be inclined to suggest the P3.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nja469 on 09/05/02 10:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

teecee

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Depends on the motherboard. The P-III has little CPU upgradability. The P4 may, depending on the motherboard. Tom's tests (from memory) showed that P-III 1GHz falling somewhere between a P4 1.4 and 1.5GHz.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I agree with nja469. Pentium 4 with SDRAM is really a bad combination. P4 are data hungry and even if you upgrade to a better P4 later, the poor SDRAM will stick you with poor performance.

Simply, P3 and SDRAM are better, more balanced, and really ENOUGH for office use.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
According to Intel, there are no Celeron @ 1.6Ghz (see <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/products/desk_lap/processors/desktop/celeron/index.htm?iid=ipp_browse+dkstopprocess_celeron&" target="_new">here</A>). You may be dealing with an overclocked one.
Now, unless I'm terribly mistaken, the Celeron P4 is a Socket478 CPU since the 1.7Ghz version. If your CPU is a Socket 478 it may be a better choice since it has better upgrading potential than P3.

<font color=red>Do ya feel lucky, Punk? Well...? Do ya?
Then go ahead and buy that C3 CPU!</font color=red>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hey Oracle, just question. Bearing in mind that the mobo uses SDRAM, do you really think that using, let's say, a P4 2.53Ghz will give the expected boost? If the mobo would run with RDRAM or DDR I will agree with you. But P4 needs a lot of data, and this is even more true when you increase the frecuency of the CPU.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Sorry, you are right. Its a p4 celeron 1,7 ghz.. It says so on the sticker anyway, but the system information in windows shows 1.6 :)

Well.. Since its officecomputers and nothing we should upgrade or change parts in, you all seem to agree the P3 would be a better choice. Thanks!

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Socket478 system may have more upgrading potential in terms of processors, but as long as a P4 is paired with SDRAM performance improvements will be minimul. You'd have to go with RDRAM to give the P4 the memory bandwidth it needs to perform decently, for which the motherboard in that system isn't capable. I'd go with the PIII.

I like the Pentium IV, I really do! And it's so versatile. You simply won't find a more stylish or decorative key chain ornament or paperweight.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Err, yeah... you're right... sorry, forgot all about that SDRAM part :redface: .
Either way, upgradability goes out the window.

<font color=red>Do ya feel lucky, Punk? Well...? Do ya?
Then go ahead and buy that C3 CPU!</font color=red>