Dell 8400 -- noise ?

I'm contemplating buying a new 8400 and was wondering about noise. Dell
doesn't give specs on sound output but I would like a machine that is at
least as quiet as my iMac, which is to say nearly inaudible. How do the
8400s rate? I would not get the fastest CPU, by the way. Also, does
anyone know if the video cards Dell uses (the two lower priced cards the
X300 and X800) have a heat sink or a fan on them, since that can
contribute to noise.

robert
4 answers Last reply
More about dell 8400 noise

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:10:37 -0500, "RobertB." <rb28@nyu.edu> wrote:

    >I'm contemplating buying a new 8400 and was wondering about noise. Dell
    >doesn't give specs on sound output but I would like a machine that is at
    >least as quiet as my iMac, which is to say nearly inaudible. How do the
    >8400s rate? I would not get the fastest CPU, by the way. Also, does
    >anyone know if the video cards Dell uses (the two lower priced cards the
    >X300 and X800) have a heat sink or a fan on them, since that can
    >contribute to noise.

    Broken heatsink - support should be aware of the problem.

    My 8400 is very quiet. It is not "nearly inaudible", but much quieter than
    any PC I've owned. I have a high-end 8400 (two drives, top video-card), so I
    would expect my 8400 to be as noisy as they get, not whithstanding PCs with
    defective parts (squealing hard disks or fans).

    Jean-Luc

    "Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    > My 8400 is very quiet. It is not "nearly inaudible", but much quieter
    > than
    > any PC I've owned. I have a high-end 8400 (two drives, top video-card),
    > so I
    > would expect my 8400 to be as noisy as they get, not whithstanding PCs
    > with
    > defective parts (squealing hard disks or fans).
    >
    > Jean-Luc

    Jean -

    Then your 8400 also has: the video/GPU fan on the card as well as the
    "blower" fan mounted in the case over the PCI cards?

    Stew

    It has the GPU fan, but no PCI blower fan.

    Jean-Luc

    In article <tb6vd.69690$fY.42408@bignews3.bellsouth.net>, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    >> My 8400 is very quiet. It is not "nearly inaudible", but much quieter
    >> than
    >> any PC I've owned. I have a high-end 8400 (two drives, top video-card),
    >> so I
    >> would expect my 8400 to be as noisy as they get, not whithstanding PCs
    >> with
    >> defective parts (squealing hard disks or fans).
    >>
    >> Jean-Luc
    >>

    >Jean -
    >
    >Then your 8400 also has: the video/GPU fan on the card as well as the
    >"blower" fan mounted in the case over the PCI cards?
    >
    >Stew

Dell Graphics Cards Computers Product