What size will the clawhammer be?

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I was thinking about changing my stock heatsink cooler out for an aftermarket one. I don't do any "funny" stuff to the multiplier or fsb, but the fan is starign to make bad noises. I wanted to pre-emptively strike before I am dead in the water. My question is if I buy a cooler that fits a socket A, will it fit a socket for the clawhammer later when I upgrade? Will I have to buy a cooler for socket "clawhammer"?

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My claw hammer is 16-oz, they are usually available as 12 and 16-oz, while other sizes such as 10, 14, and 18 oz are far less common.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
sorry to ruin your fun, but Clawhammer will use a totally different Socket. It will use Socket 754 which will be incompatible with Socket A.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And with the way that AMD is going with heat sink requirements, a ClawHammer will be needing a heat sink that clamps on at 2000psi, has a gold base in silver molding, and has a small jet engine for a fan.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
And what about a Swiftech MC462? you screw it on the mobo (no clamp). Have to change or not?
Or should I wait and see?

If I buy the boxed version of the "hammer", will I get a box of nails for free??

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
You should wait and see. Don't expect a HSF bought now o necessarily be compliant with K8.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
Ya, it'll probably have a magnetic field generator to hold it in place :wink: .

zeexen, I doubt current HSF's will be complaint with K8, but as slvr said, you'll have to wait and see.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>