fun

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I have an ECS K7S5A mobo and a Tbird 1900+ XP. Upon boot the BIOS reads it as a 1900+ XP but gives no speed readout. Every place I've checked into to check my speed either says 900mhz (I had a Duron previously) or 1200mhz. Is there a tool that is reliable in showing me my speed or am I missing something in setting a jumper or changing something in the BIOS?

Thanks.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
from what amd is trying to pull with their PR rating. your bios won't have the true mhz display, only the PR number. second, go into bios and check if you have fsb set at 133mhz and NOT 100mhz. also while there, third check your multiplier. an athlon xp 1900+ should have 1.6ghz.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well I'm not sure about the ECS but I know with Abit and Asus when it auto reads the CPU it shows the performance rating not the actual speed. You can turn this off and set the CPU parameters manually (i.e. user defined setting) and just set the FSB to 133 you'll see the true processor speed. Or even easier, just download Wcpuid and run it. It's a small download and tells you what you're running.

The PR rating just says how well it actually performs vs Intel's CPU, so it actually runs as well as a 1.9Ghz. This isnt to fool anyone, just that AMD couldn't ramp the speed of the Athlon architecture to run at Intel speeds, but the real world performance is equal to that of a 1900Mhz CPU. For some reason that seems to bother the 'Intel Fanboys'.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Not to fool anyone? Than why didnt they call the 1900+ the 850+ or the AthlonXP1, 2, 3? Seems as though their PR #'s somewhat resemble mhz #'s. It's an old marketing strategy used to trick customers. I know someone that bought a VIA 333MMX a good while back. It sucked! Has nothing to do w/ bothering Intel fanboys. It's marketing deception. Although if Intel were to do that, AMD people woulda been mocking it from day 1. Just like if Intel would release a white paper, and stall on the product as AMD is doing now. I do think PR#'s should be used. I also believe it's unfair to AMD that they have to compete in a market where mhz is everything. They have processors that can perform up to 2.2ghz P4's. So it's ok to name it a 2200+.....But it's still marketing trickery.

This sig runs too hot.

Check This Out:
Start the computer holding down the delete key which will take you into the CMOS setup.
On the CMOS setup page use the up/down arrow keys to highlight,(CPU PnP Setup Page).
Press Enter.
Check the following and if your settings are different change them to these values using instructions listed for changing at the bottom of the page.
CPU Speed 1600Mhz
CPU Ratio 12
CPU Frequency 133Mhz
Dram Frequency 133Mhz
When you finish the changes press the Escape Key on Keyboard.
Press F10
Make sure Y is flashing for Save and Exit Setup
Press Enter.
You're Done

The machine will bootup, recheck your values and see if they are right, post back your results.

PS if going in the CMOS setup is new territory for you, you probably should either print this out for reference, or write it down and follow it exactly. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.