I'm looking for a laptop recommendation for a friend. She doesn't need to be able to do anything intense. She watches a lot of video, does a lot of multiple-tabbed web browsing and uses office products, but no gaming, video editing, programming, or anything terribly demanding. I'm looking for something that will be reliable and will have effective cooling - not necessarily for the most powerful machine in my budget.
1. What is your budget?
No more than $1000.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'm not too concerned with screen resolution. Something at a width of 1280 or 1366 or so.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portability. Not macbook air or ultrabook portability, but it will be carried around in a bookbag almost daily so portability and durability are concerns.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Average to above average. Maybe 5hrs or more.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Basic tasks like playing/streaming video, web browsing, and office tasks.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Hard drive capacity is not a huge concern as long as it's 60GB or higher. Most larger files like media will be stored on an external drive.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Just anything reputable. I have experience with newegg but I'm not too picky. I would be willing to go to a store in northeast Ohio if it makes a difference.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Approximately three years. I'm not expecting top-level performance for three years, but it should be function in three years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't want to pay for Bluray, but otherwise I don't care. Some of the mobile options don't have optical drives and that's fine.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have experience with Dell and I'd buy another Dell. I also have no problem with apple but they're out of my price range. I'm not too picky about brands. My biggest concern from brand to brand is reliability/longevity
13. What country do you live in?
USA. I live in ohio.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'd like 4GB of RAM. Another concern is I've had several laptops that overheat a lot after two years. I would really like to avoid that.
If you can live with a 12.5" laptop, then consider the Lenovo ThinkPad X220 which can last up to 13 or 14 hours (if I remember correctly) on a single charge. With the addition of the "slice" battery that would go up to 23 hours. Since this laptop is considered "Ultra Portable", it does not have an optical drive. Prices start at $800: