Sign in with
Your question

Is 6 degree drop worth $25?

Last response: in CPUs
September 7, 2002 4:59:45 AM

I just purchased a Volcano 7 HSF & some Arctic Silver 3 and installed it on my processor. It's only been about 50 mins, and my processor is at a stable 48-49 degrees celsius while idle. Before the new items, it ranged from 53-56 idle and as high as 65 at high load (the processor is a non-overclocked xp2000).

Is this 6 or so degree drop worth it? The Arctic Silver 3 instructions say that the temp can drop 2-4 extra degrees as the paste works it's magic and settles into the heatsink etc.

And on a side note... I was a little concerned over the instructions. Basically I put the paste on the HSF where it connects with the CPU core, I rubbed it in with my finger in a plastic bag, then wiped off the paste. Then with a plastic phone card I applied the thermal paste over the CPU core as evenly as I could (there was no way I could get it as even as the pic in the instructions), then I placed the HSF on the cpu & locked it into place with the paste still on the CPU core (instructions never said to remove it).

Does this sound right? Does anyone have some tips or suggestions that I should do just to be safe?

Your input is MUCH appreciated!

More about : degree drop worth

September 7, 2002 5:36:38 AM

Were you having stability issues before the cooling upgrade?(if yes)Did the upgrade fix the problem?

"Just the facts ma'am"
a c 100 à CPUs
September 7, 2002 5:53:39 AM

Any thermal compound no matter who makes it, if excessively applied can work against itself. All you really need is a thin layer just on the CPU DIE itself, about the even thickness of a thin sheet of notebook paper, a double edge razor blade makes an excellent spreader. The actual cooling is coming from the heatsink base, and all the thermal compound does is fill the imperfections between the two surfaces, which is almost nill when the two surfaces come together. For the quality heatsink you have it seems your idle temps should be lower, my idle temp is 38c almost 10c less than yours. Ryan

PS A 6c drop is comparable to 11f drop

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
Related resources
September 7, 2002 7:47:12 AM

Also note that I live in LA, about 20 miles inland so the temperature can get pretty high. And no, the processor was working just fine, but I figured since cash isn't much a problem I might as well treat it properly and buy a good HSF.

Guess I need to go buy a razor blade! Will it make much of a difference if I remove the HSF & take a sec to re-spread the paste a bit with the blade?
September 7, 2002 1:03:57 PM

Quote:
Also note that I live in LA, about 20 miles inland so the temperature can get pretty high. And no, the processor was working just fine, but I figured since cash isn't much a problem I might as well treat it properly and buy a good HSF.

You did not have to buy a new heatsink, the 7degree drop wont affect the cpus lifespan or performance. However if you enjoy the new heatsink then have a good day(try overclocking a bit if youd like)

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2002 5:47:51 PM

Nah, putting on Artic Silver in a paper thin layer is NOT necessary, as the stuff is so thin as to sqeeze out completely under the pressure of the clip. Seriously, there will be a point where the core has contacted the heatsink and completely squeezed out the AS. You would find that even if you put the stuff on 1/4 inch thick, after installing and removing the heatsink there will be a bare spot with just a film of AS on it that is so thin you can read the writing on the core! The rest would squeeze out all over the package. So the best reason to put it on thin is to reduce the mess, you'll never see a thick layer of the stuff between the heatsink and the core as you did with silicon paste in the old days.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 7, 2002 6:30:32 PM

Considering where you live, I'd say it's worth it.

Quote:
<i>Originally written by Matisaro</i>
You did not have to buy a new heatsink, the 7degree drop wont affect the cpus lifespan or performance. However if you enjoy the new heatsink then have a good day(try overclocking a bit if youd like)

It WILL affect the lifespan, but most people never notice, or don't care about the CPU's lifespan.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>
September 8, 2002 8:25:44 PM

Quote:
It WILL affect the lifespan, but most people never notice, or don't care about the CPU's lifespan.

It will not affect the lifespan in any meaningful way, read the thoroughly riteous crushing of your mistaken belief about operating tempratures before countering my points with false info.

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:
!