LoRdKaLiBaH

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Okay, So I just got my first AMD processor, err rather my first RECENT AMD, that is since a duron way back when. I just bought my nice amd XP 2100+ only to get home, install it and then find out, throughbred cores are OUT on 2100s too!

Okay first question is, is the best bang for the buck my 2100? I know the way things are going the price jump is small for anything, but in everyones opinion, whats best bang for the buck ATM?

Lastly, say I got a 2100 with throughbred, would I notice a diff from the Palomino core? I heard different things. First off I am pretty sure that the throughbred will cool better, but I dont overclock so that doesnt really matter to me... I think :) Is there any difference between a throughbred core and a Palomino core for the 2100+?

thanks a lot for your help =P

lordkalibah

Moltar_

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
Performancewise, they should be about the same. I really can't say much about overclocking the thoroughbred, but my palomino 2100+ (1.733 ghz) is running at 1.780 ghz, which seems to be the max for stable operation. You might be able to sqeeze a couple more megaherz out of the thoroughbred, but I don't know for sure.
As for cooling, keep in mind that the thoroughbred core has 40% less surface area than the palomino does, meaning that much less contact with the heatsink. But then again, I don't know if the thoroughbred produces significantly less heat than the palomino either. :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
performance wize they are exactly the same.
heat output and voltage wise they are a bit different... but it doesnt really matter.

45C or 50C makes no difference... so long as it doesnt lockup.

<b>Trust Me, Trust Yourself, Trust the Hamster. Anyone else - Shoot Them. :eek: </b> This sig was proudly brought to you by <i>Hammie</i> :smile: