Alexander Wade's background [campaign]

Last response: in Video Games
July 20, 2005 7:03:45 AM

Here's what I've come up with. I've left open the possibility of Alex and
Jayla being related. David & Lazlo, what do you think? I also left out
the name of the city he comes from since I don't know Greyhawk geography.

Alexander is the great-grandson of a fisherman, the grandson of a
fish-merchant and the son of the head of the Guild of Fishermen and
Fishmongers in ($City). His mother is the fourth daughter of a noble
family that was in dire financial straits before she married her wealthy
husband. Alex grew up in a family that enjoys their wealth and
respectibility, yet hasn't forgotten that it was hard work and the grace of
the gods that got them where they are today. The Wades are a pious bunch,
mainly worshipping Pelor and Osprem, while his mother's family mainly
worship Heironious and Pelor.
It was his mother's older brother who had the greatest effect on
Alex's chosen path. Often he would sit at Uncle Tomas' knee to hear his
tales of adventure and combat as a paladin in the service of Heironius.
Little Alex would spend hours in the gardens with his siblings and cousins
playing mock battles, and when the others tired of the game he would wander
off alone to slay "dragons" until the neighborhood dogs and stray cats beat
a hasty retreat whenever he walked by.
Noone was really surprised when Alex announced at the age of seven
that he had been called to serve the Valorous Knight, what did surprise
everyone was that he asked to be presented at the Seminary where clerics
are taught instead of the Academy where the paladins train. Alex had
always been big for his age and this coupled with his wisdom and devotion
meant that he was often placed in positions of authority over the other
children. He never used this to his personal advantage, but he was such a
stickler for the rules, that he wouldn't let his peers get away with any
laxness in their daily chores and studies. He threw himself into his work,
and expected no less from anyone else. His single-minded determination,
along with his piety, size and strength saw him graduate from the Seminary
a year earlier than most students.
Since then, he's gone on a few journeys with his Uncle, and in recent
months has teamed up with Jayla to hunt Evil and spread the good word of
the Invincilble One. Alex is likeable enough, but his still displays a
streak of single-mindedness, and can be a bit of bore.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:40:45 PM

Billy Yank wrote:
> Here's what I've come up with. I've left open the possibility of Alex and
> Jayla being related. David & Lazlo, what do you think?

Either way is fine by me. It's up to you and David.

<snip>

Okay, backstory's fine. I'll be starting the adventure thread soon.

Everyone: lemme emphasize the most important thing again. Please only
join this game if you're reasonably sure that you can post regularly
(every day). If you can't, I _will_ be forced to drop your character,
which is a lot more painful for everyone than if you had never joined.
Going on vacation or otherwise (rarely) losing Internet access for a
week or two is perfectly acceptable (I will probably run your character
as an NPC at times like that, if that's acceptable). Regularly slowing
down the entire adventure by only posting once every three days is not.

Also, there are currently four characters: there's still space for one
more person. If anyone else wants to join, now's a good time.

Last but not least: I hope we all have a lot of fun; that is, after
all, the point. If we're not all having fun, someone is doing something
wrong. If that someone is me, I'd much rather have you guys point it
out ASAP. I can't fix a problem I don't know about.

Laszlo
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:30:11 PM

In article <1121874045.505498.55030@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:

>Billy Yank wrote:
>> Here's what I've come up with. I've left open the possibility of Alex and
>> Jayla being related. David & Lazlo, what do you think?
>
>Either way is fine by me. It's up to you and David.

It's OK with me. Since Jayla's family, while not super-wealthy, is reasonably
well off, Billy's character's mother would have to be a step or two from the
main family tree - perhaps a cousin once removed? Making Alex and Jayla 2nd
cousins? or 3rd?

>Okay, backstory's fine. I'll be starting the adventure thread soon.

I was under the impression the main campaign would be off on a webboard
somewhere (to avoid harassing the rgfd readers who said they didn't want to
see this stuff regularly).

>Everyone: lemme emphasize the most important thing again. Please only
>join this game if you're reasonably sure that you can post regularly
>(every day).

Before Jul 25 and after Aug 13 I should be able to post almost every day.
I'll be incommunicado Jul 25, have restricted access most of Jul 26-Aug 10
(with 7 days in there somewhere with no access), then no access Aug 11-13.
Restricted access means I will have no access to email, full access to a
webboard and Google groups, and can probably post most days, but have to
borrow my in-laws' machine and be subject to their constraints and our social
obligations. Thus getting something started by this Sunday would be really
nice for me.

I'll also focus on getting more stuff to Laszlo on Jayla's motivations and
likely actions.
July 22, 2005 5:20:50 AM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> In article <1121874045.505498.55030@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>
> >Okay, backstory's fine. I'll be starting the adventure thread soon.
>
> I was under the impression the main campaign would be off on a webboard
> somewhere (to avoid harassing the rgfd readers who said they didn't want to
> see this stuff regularly).

Yep (I see you found the links and posted your character already).

> >Everyone: lemme emphasize the most important thing again. Please only
> >join this game if you're reasonably sure that you can post regularly
> >(every day).
>
> Before Jul 25 and after Aug 13 I should be able to post almost every day.
> I'll be incommunicado Jul 25, have restricted access most of Jul 26-Aug 10
> (with 7 days in there somewhere with no access), then no access Aug 11-13.
> Restricted access means I will have no access to email, full access to a
> webboard and Google groups, and can probably post most days, but have to
> borrow my in-laws' machine and be subject to their constraints and our social
> obligations. Thus getting something started by this Sunday would be really
> nice for me.

I will also be away (zero access) from Aug 6 or 7 to Aug 14; that'll
have to be a break in the action. If you can squish as much as possible
of your 7 days of no access between Aug 6 and Aug 10, that'd be great.
If not, well, no problem.

> I'll also focus on getting more stuff to Laszlo on Jayla's motivations and
> likely actions.

I'll be emailing all four of you with background stuff, Greyhawk-ifying
your backstories, and working out how (and why) you get to Hommlet.

Laszlo
!