Another suprise Demo from AMD ?

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I have been informed by a 'friend' that AMD might be planning on giving another suprise demonstration of thier Hammer processor a location near to where Intel are hosting next weeks Developer Forum Fall 2002.

Let me make this clear this 'friend' is not the the most reliable of sources but I thought I'd post this rumour up anyway.

It would not suprise me if this turns out to be true (similar to Intels Spring Forum where AMD first demoed thier hammer processor in a hotel room down the road). As to what the demonstration might involve is still unknown. I'll see if I can get some more info from my contact to find out if he is Bullsh!ting or telling the truth.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I hope that happens. I also hope it's not the same 800mhz Hammer. Let's see something new.

This sig runs too hot.

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I hope so too. Lets see a Hammer running at full speed for once. I wouldn't expect any benchmarks until the official release. If I were to make a stab the dark as to what AMD 'might' be demoing it would probably be a full speed 4-way Opteron server running 64bit Linux and IBM's DB2 (ver. 8).

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

eden

Champion
Hey gobbledegook, why you not hanging out more often here?

I hope the IDF intervention happens. WE NEED Hammer news, especially ClawHammer. Intel will only continue to convert people, while AMD is losing. If they don't intervene and give hope about this mysterious K8 and its performance, I just don't know what will help them regain our confidence. Anything is possibly though, I mean ATI showed off their R300 in Nvidia's backyard!

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I totally expect the Hammer to ravage the low to midrange server market. Let's hope they start a trend w/ their total adaptation of HT, and on chip memory controller.

This sig runs too hot.

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
"I hope that happens. I also hope it's not the same 800mhz Hammer. Let's see something new."

Yeah. I personally am highly suspicous that they have been demo'ing it at 800 MHtz about a month or so before it comes out.

Knowledge is the key to understanding

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I totally expect the Hammer to ravage the low to midrange server market. Let's hope they start a trend w/ their total adaptation of HT, and on chip memory controller.
It should ravage (or more accurately, actually create) a low to mid range 64-bit server and workstation market. It'll maybe make a decent dent into the 32-bit server and workstation markets as well.

HT sounds like a good idea, but I still can't help bit twinge every time I hear it anyway. It still sounds a little limited in respect to bandwidth for 64-bit operation, but time will tell. Maybe though it'll finally allow people to develop multiple AGP slot mobos where you can put in twin (or quad!) cards in that act in tandem. (Much like a few of the old PCI cards did.)

I still don't like the idea of an on-die memory controller. (Except perhaps a programmable FPGA on-die memory controller that can be 'programmed' to any memory type you want as well as upgraded.) The loss of flexability with an on-die memory controller just doesn't sit well with me.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Just to mention something, it is indeed possible to create dual AGP ports. It's just too costly to do. Also, Hypertransport is not meant to be a peripheral connection. AMD has said so themselves.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

eden

Champion
Again is there ANY advantage to home users, in performance or anything, that HT provides, which can be noticeable?

--
When buying an AthlonXP, please make sure the bus is at 133MHZ, or you will get a lower speed!