Sign in with
Your question

A question about Intel CPU

Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2002 4:25:16 AM

I don't know much about Intel CPU's but I have a question just in case I decide to go that route. I checked some websites for prices....

Why are the Pentium 4 <b>2.2Ghz(Northwood 400FSB)</b> and <b>2.26Ghz(Northwood 533FSB)</b> more expensive than the Pentium 4 <b>2.4 Ghz (Northwood 400FSB)</b> and <b>2.4B Ghz (Northwood 533FSB)</b> - all retail.
Are the 2.4Ghz CPUs not good? If you don't feel like explaining that's okay, maybe just point me to an article. Thanks for any help.

More about : question intel cpu

September 10, 2002 4:44:05 AM

Hehe you would have to ask Intel.... if it is intentional, my guess is they have overproduced the 2.4ghz, and therefore announced a pricebreak to encourage more people to buy them, to level out the stock.
September 10, 2002 2:13:26 PM

That'd be true if Intel actually produced 2.4 GHz separately from the 2.2 and 2.26. When in fact, they're all made out of the same machine and it'd be the easiest thing in the world to simply downmark them. My guess is it's not Intel, but rather the sites themselves who saw the price drop for the 2.2 and bought too much of them at a higher price than Intel is selling them now. And the 2.4's have dropped in price so fast that the sites haven't caught up in their price listings yet.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
Related resources
September 10, 2002 2:16:29 PM

Maybe Intel isn't producing chips under 2.4 G now, so they are scarcer. It could be an example of higher demand than supply which is driving the prices up. Get it?

My Rig is bigger than yours. :tongue:
September 10, 2002 2:18:12 PM

That'd be true, except Intel is officially selling 2.2 and 2.26's and the MSRP is indeed below that of the 2.4 and 2.4b. They are available if you have a vendor's liscense and wish to purchase in volumes of 1000.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
September 10, 2002 4:55:16 PM

Why was it that just not long ago I could purchase a cheeseburger 'Happy Meal' at McDonalds (including a cheeseburger, small fry, small drink, and toy, all in a special bag) for less money than what I could purchase a cheeseburger 'All American' meal (including a cheeseburder, small fry, small drink)? Clearly the 'Happy Meal' came with a free toy and a pretty paper sack, yet got the exact same food as the 'All American' meal, so the 'Happy Meal' was the better buy for the consumer even though the 'All American' meal cost McDonalds less to produce.

The answer? We could come up with convoluted workings of supply and demand. In the end though, sometimes the powers-that-be just simply screw up and don't thoroughly examine their pricing tables.

Hey. So long as we, the consumer, are smart enough to take advantage of these mistakes, then the system works just fine for me. :) 

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
September 10, 2002 5:43:23 PM

What CPU do you all suggest for a $200 budget, for not overclocking. I don't think I'll overclock my first built rig. I was set on an AMD Athlon but now am a little confused.
September 10, 2002 5:45:24 PM

For a $200 budget, without OCing, I'd personally go with a retail Athlon and use the stock heat sink that comes with it. :) 

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
September 10, 2002 8:29:59 PM

How are the Athlon XP 2200+? Or should I wait for the 2400+ to come out?
September 10, 2002 8:57:17 PM

Don't get confused... if you really want an athlon go for it. A 2200+ will cost approx: $155 from a good retailer. On the other hand a pentium 4 2.26GHz/533 will only run $195.

While I currently have an athlon, I'd take that pentium 4! The higher memory throughput, whether it be with DDR400 or RAMBUS PC1066 will likely offer a better performaning system. Ultimately the PC1066 would offer the best performance, since it would use all of the pentiums available bandwidth potential. A stick of 512MB of good quality PC3200 (DDR 400) will run ya as little as $170 from a reputable retailer. On the other hand two 256MB sticks of PC1066 will only run about $240 (total/$120 ea.). I say only, because that is considerly cheap than what it used to be :o )

The P4 system with the PC1066 would be my choice, and it leaves you with plenty of overclocking overhead if you decide to do so at a later date. The P4 NW overclocks considerably well, much better than the 2200A chips. Barely even trying, I'd bump the FSB to 142 and get a 2.4GHz processor - with stock cooling easily sufficing.

But if you have a tight budget and the extra $125 is too much for better performance, then I would get an AXP 2200 with some PC2700.

The 2400+ should be, and hopefully will be available by the end of this month, for the sake of AMD's reputation! The 2400+ will only offer a slight performance increase over the 2200+ running at 2GHz, but when they do come out expect a decent demand and possibly low supply meaning the already higher price for a newly released chip might even be pushed a bit higher by demands, and as well intel is said to have a price cut coming near the end of the month, most likely coinciding with any amd launch, keeping the prices comparable.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nja469 on 09/10/02 05:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 10, 2002 11:24:06 PM

But, if I am going to overclock sometime down the line, what is it I was reading about the Intel 2.26's with the newer C1 stepping (better for OCing)? Do any of the 2.4Ghz have this?
!