modem question

Mike

Splendid

I'm considering putting an order in tomorrow for a new Dell Dimension 4700.

I moved to the country and had to resort back to a dial-up modem. Which one
should I choose, the:

56k PCI Telephony Modem

or the

56k PCI Data Fax Modem

?????

I'm clueless when it comes to some of this stuff...please bare with me. :)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:31:35 GMT, Mike wrote:

> I moved to the country and had to resort back to a dial-up modem. Which one
> should I choose, the:
>
> 56k PCI Telephony Modem
>
> or the
>
> 56k PCI Data Fax Modem

If you want to use your computer as a telephone answering machine pick the
first one. If you've got a need to send or receive faxes choose the
second. If neither of those options floats your boat just pick the
cheapest one.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

What happens when you click on "Help me choose" when you get to the section
on modems?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Mike" <iamglad@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I'm considering putting an order in tomorrow for a new Dell Dimension
4700.

> I moved to the country and had to resort back to a dial-up modem. Which
one
> should I choose, the:
>
> 56k PCI Telephony Modem
>
> or the
>
> 56k PCI Data Fax Modem
>

> ?????
>
> I'm clueless when it comes to some of this stuff...please bare with me.
:)

Pick the cheapest one. Then drive to your local Wal~Mart and buy a good
US Robotics hardware modem. NOT a winmodem.
When your computer arrives set it up and remove the cheap Winmodem ,
then install the new hardware modem.
Better connections and less processor work that way. Oh and IF you don't
want to go with an internal you could still buy an external
modem that would connect up through the USB port.

--
Steve Williams

"Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message news:419ac340$1_4@127.0.0.1...
> Pick the cheapest one. Then drive to your local Wal~Mart and buy a good
> US Robotics hardware modem. NOT a winmodem.
> When your computer arrives set it up and remove the cheap Winmodem ,
> then install the new hardware modem.
> Better connections and less processor work that way. Oh and IF you don't
> want to go with an internal you could still buy an external
> modem that would connect up through the USB port.
>

> --
> Steve Williams

Steve's giving good advice. And if you can't stomach the price for a new
3Com/USR internal hardware modem, there are plenty offered over on ebay.

I've bought two of them (used) in the last 6 mos. for around $10.00 each,
shipping included.

Both connected at 48800kbps using the WindowsXP native drivers.

Stew

GraemeD

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
>> Pick the cheapest one. Then drive to your local Wal~Mart and buy a
>> good US Robotics hardware modem. NOT a winmodem.
>> When your computer arrives set it up and remove the cheap Winmodem ,
>> then install the new hardware modem.
>> Better connections and less processor work that way. Oh and IF you
>> don't want to go with an internal you could still buy an external
>> modem that would connect up through the USB port.
>>

>> --
>> Steve Williams
>>

> Steve's giving good advice. And if you can't stomach the price for a
> new 3Com/USR internal hardware modem, there are plenty offered over
> on ebay.
>
> I've bought two of them (used) in the last 6 mos. for around $10.00
> each, shipping included.
>
> Both connected at 48800kbps using the WindowsXP native drivers.

Just noticed this thread and was surprised to see that the internal Modems in the Dell machines are Win Modems I had thought these had ceased being used a couple of years ago by most makers . If this is so I am glad I found out as I am looking to buy a new computer in the near future.
Graeme

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:53:31 +1100, "GraemeD" <graemeD@badexample.invalid>
wrote:

<SNIP>
>Just noticed this thread and was surprised to see that the internal =
>Modems in the Dell machines are Win Modems I had thought these had =
>ceased being used a couple of years ago by most makers . If this is so =
>I am glad I found out as I am looking to buy a new computer in the near =
>future.
>Graeme

The large majority of computers shipped with modems have Winmodems. Winmodems
are cheap, so they are effective at cutting the cost of manufacturing a system,
ever so important when all the leading players are competing on price. No
reason whatsoever to phase them out.

Hardware modems are more likely to give a reliable connection than winmodems,
altho I've seen an older Dell equipped with a winmodem give a consistent 40+k
bit connection speed. As for winmodems taking up processor cyctes, this was a
major concern back when winmodems were inside 200MHz Pentium system. But I
would claim that with today's typical 2+GHz system, the extra processor cycles
consumed by a winmodem are barely noticed, no matter what the workload of a
computer... Ben Myers

GraemeD

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:53:31 +1100, "GraemeD"
> <graemeD@badexample.invalid> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>> Just noticed this thread and was surprised to see that the internal =
>> Modems in the Dell machines are Win Modems I had thought these had =
>> ceased being used a couple of years ago by most makers . If this is
>> so = I am glad I found out as I am looking to buy a new computer in
>> the near = future.
>> Graeme
>
> The large majority of computers shipped with modems have Winmodems.
> Winmodems are cheap, so they are effective at cutting the cost of
> manufacturing a system, ever so important when all the leading
> players are competing on price. No reason whatsoever to phase them
> out.
>
> Hardware modems are more likely to give a reliable connection than
> winmodems, altho I've seen an older Dell equipped with a winmodem
> give a consistent 40+k bit connection speed. As for winmodems taking
> up processor cyctes, this was a major concern back when winmodems
> were inside 200MHz Pentium system. But I would claim that with
> today's typical 2+GHz system, the extra processor cycles consumed by
> a winmodem are barely noticed, no matter what the workload of a
> computer

Thanks for that info probably your last point is what made me think they were no longer used , just dont see the warnings about their shortcomings as not so significant now .
I remember when I got my current computer 5 years ago I was told to avoid them so got myself an external USR which has been great .

Thanks again ,
Graeme

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:46:35 -0600, S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> Steve's giving good advice. And if you can't stomach the price for a new
> 3Com/USR internal hardware modem, there are plenty offered over on ebay.
>
> I've bought two of them (used) in the last 6 mos. for around $10.00 each,
> shipping included.
>
> Both connected at 48800kbps using the WindowsXP native drivers.

My internal cheap winmodem(which came with my Dell 2350) connects at 54.6
Kbps
using Windows XP native drivers. The same modem connects at 50.2 Kbps at my
previous address. I think the quality of the phoneline dictates the speed
of
the connection.